HiRez Poll INXS - KICK [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of INXS - KICK

• Total voters
Finally i decided to vote on this......is a 7 for the new mix.....i listened in an atmos configuration 3 times in different dates....however because is one of my favourite albums of all.time im gonna give an 8
I am really disappointed by Giles...this was a great opportunity thrown to waste......i really prefer the dvd with their hits in DTS 4.0 (more immersive in my opinion) and i would seriously think that Giles Martin needs to reach other mixers like Steven Wilson or Elliot Scheiner to learn from them.....i really just dont know how this album was released in this condition......mixes without punch.....lack of bass.....different versions from the original.....different reverb and delay......somehow sound is like imprisioned.....i am really waiting for a communication offering a replace for the disc because it has faults from manufacture........

I agree with everything you said. I recently purchased the Half-Speed Mastered 180g 45rpm 2LP and it sounds a thousand times better than this blu-ray audio mix. The missing bass and punch in this blu-ray mix is there in the vinyl. This is one of those rare instance where a 2-channel stereo mix blows away a surround mix.

Taken from some advertisment info of the remastered vinyl by Miles Showell of Abbey Roads Studio:

"You can hear this album like never before," says Giles Martin of the new 30th-anniversary Edition of Kick. "You can hear Michael [Hutchence] so close to you, you can hear his breath. You feel like you’re in the studio with the band. You have a record that’s 30 years old, but it’s been taken in a completely new direction and you can listen to it in a completely new way and it becomes new again. Great music and great songs, they don’t get old."

Last edited:
After having listened to the times of this Blu-Ray, I must say that I did not like it.

The reason is because the drums sound very bad, sometimes it seems that they forgot to turn the track of the drums. Where else you realize it is in the song "Mystify", and another example would be "Wildlife".

"Weapons in the sky" ... Does the guitar sound very bad or does it only sound like that?

"Devil Inside", the entry is good, but fails in what I mentioned at the beginning. The drums.

"Need You Tonight / Mediate", these songs are the exception, perhaps also "New Sensation".

In the others, I agree with the user @Jeddia.

5/10

Last edited:
I voted an 8. I thought the mix was fine. I don't have Atmos so I can't comment on that. But, I thought the 5.1 was fine. I didn't rate it higher because of content. I like half of the songs, so an 8 it is. By the way, the latest Sound And Vision Magazine has an article/review of this disc.

I won't review it because I don't have an Atmos setup. To me that feels like people who slag "Nilsson Schmilsson" quad based on a YouTube video (I've seen people do it).

So, just rate the 5.1 mix [like I did] and you can change your vote if you upgrade to Atmos. Simple as that! I gave it an 8!

And I'll never vote for an album that I haven't had the privilege of hearing.....that WOULD be cheating!

Last edited:
I think it's a fun Atmos mix, very immersive. Some songs have better fidelty and mix than others. Need You Tonight sounds great, panning guitars sounds from the ceiling etc. Excellent low end and punchy bass on most of the songs on my system.

I give it a very strong 9!

I had low expectations on this one but I really enjoyed this one down mixed from the 7.1 to 5.1 using Audiomuxer. Brought back my 80s memories which was a fun time in my life. A few parts sounded a bit thin but the majority of it was nice. Need You Tonight/Meditate had sweet thick bass as needed.

Finally got to listen to this on a 5.1.2 Atmos setup.

Wow!

Do not understand the low marks - it sounds fantastic! There's loads of information used in the atmos speakers that I was not getting before. Never Tear Us Apart being one of the more obvious songs with the strings. I'm really happy with the mix! :phones

I would say it's a very solid 9.

I am so happy for you knowing that you have the Atmos, I want but need a new house. You should play it now I'm on track 7, it is a stunning mix. We can listen together. Livermore is not to far for me to listen to ATMOS
Dude, come over for an Atmos day.
And I want to do a Life in Surround Atmos edition soon. Maybe you could cameo.

There seems to be a lot of controversy over this INXS mix. I have a 5.1 system (will likely never have a Dolby Atmos setup for a variety of reasons) and enjoy the surround and music well enough. I do have to crank it up about four decibels higher than my usual listening preference, but I would rather that than a too-hot, over-compressed recording (Martin's mix of Sgt Pepper springs to mind).

Sure would like to hear surround versions of X and Listen Like Thieves, but am happy to have this mix of Kick. I gave it an 8.

See, I'd love to have Welcome to Wherever You Are in 5.1 as well as X.

I would go all out and do the whole Michael Hutchence era albums. Full Moon Dirty Hearts is an astounding album and as a bonus features both Ray Charles and Chrissie Hynde. Whilst were at it, I wouldn't mind hearing their unreleased duet with Tom Jones.

Back