Is my qrx 8001 defective or not properly connected

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikosan

Hello I'm a newbie and just found this great forum. Do I have my connections right in having a 2 channel source play in 4 channel mode? I connected 2 pairs of speakers on Speaker A, then my IPOD on Tape 1 on 4channel/2channel inputs at the back, speaker switch at channel A, then pressed the QS synthesizer, tape mon switch to 2ch/4ch, the rear speakers does not play. I followed the manual online and search the forums to no avail. If I connect the IPOD in the 4channel rear input then only the rear speakers work. I just want to have all 4 speakers playing at the same time without each pair connected to speaker A & B. Thanks for your replies

Ok, Nikosan, I think I've figured it out. I had to look at the 8001 on the web, but here's what I think you should do. On the 8001, the 4-channel tape inputs are for discrete sources (Q8, Quad Reel to Reel) and so probably bypass the QS synthesizer. You need to hook your iPod to the 2 channel tape input, that way you can make use of the QS section. Let me know how that works.

I connected it to the 2 channel and it plays on the front speaker but pressing any of the 4 channel features like SQ does not produce rear channel sound. I will try using a Y splitter to feed 2'pairs of RCA to front and rear inputs. The manual says that pressing the SQ mode will at least produce rear channel sound that is why I thought that it was defective. Thank you for checking your unit

You shouldn't have to use a Y connector. Be sure you've set your speaker selector switch to the 4 channel setting, then connect the iPod to the 2 channel tape input (on left side of the back, should be labeled Tape 2). Be sure to select Tape Mon. 2 on the front panel, and try one of the matrix settings. Since I can't see a picture of your unit, and markings can wear off over time, the speaker selector knob markings from left to right should be: (2 CH) "B" "A" (4 CH) "A" "B" "A+B" For the 4 channel speaker A setting the pointer on the knob should pretty much point straight up. You should be getting sound from all 4 speakers this way, if not, I suspect there may be problems with the decoder section (though it is unusual for all of them to be not functional). And yes, you should get sound whether or not you select any of the QS or SQ settings. CD-4 won't work at all unless you have a turntable hooked up, and then you'd need a proper cartridge and some CD-4 records. Hope you get it to work.

If it helps, the AK database has the 8001-9001 service manual & the 9001 owners manual.
The OM should be close enough to guide you since Sansui put them both in the same S-M.

Back