Jethro Tull - Aqualung BluRay Audio Failing?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My disc seems to have FPI 1GF0 stamped in the innermost clear portion of the center ring, but it's possible my eyes are missing the initial "I" that @quicksrt saw.
You definitely missed the "I." IFPI = International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, and "IFPI" precedes the SID (Source Identification) codes on all legitimate pressed commercial optical discs, both the mastering and mould codes.

My mould SID code is also IFPI 1GF0. The mastering SID code is tiny and nearly illegible to the naked eye, but I'm pretty sure mine is IFPI LZ08.

Outer ring matrix: 0879969 DB49320-1 optimal media production L0
Inner ring matrix: 0879969 DB49320-1 optimal media production L1

I assume there are two matrices ending with "LX" because this is a dual layer disc, and numbering of layers starts at 0. The mastering SID code follows the outer ring matrix and precedes the inner ring matrix (the same code).

Both my Oppo BDP-103D and Panasonic DP-UB820-K seem to have no trouble playing everything on the disc, based on a quick spot check through every track. They both sometimes don't play the very beginning of tracks selected individually, across different audio formats but seeming more prevalent with DTS-HD Master Audio. Other than that... No issues to report. The disc looks fine, no obvious physical signs of rot.

I've so far 🤞 been lucky with all of my failure-prone Optimal discs, but I did seek and receive replacements for the Pink Floyd Early Years and DSotM Blu-rays, which could turn into coasters at any time. I suppose the same could be said of this disc. Given that this edition has been superseded by the 45th Anniversary Adapted Edition, which did not include a Blu-ray, I don't have much hope for a direct replacement program.

Last edited:
You definitely missed the "I." IFPI = International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, and "IFPI" precedes the SID (Source Identification) codes on all legitimate pressed commercial optical discs, both the mastering and mould codes.

My mould SID code is also IFPI 1GF0. The mastering SID code is tiny and nearly illegible to the naked eye, but I'm pretty sure mine is IFPI LZ08.

Outer ring matrix: 0879969 DB49320-1 optimal media production L0
Inner ring matrix: 0879969 DB49320-1 optimal media production L1

I assume there are two matrices ending with "LX" because this is a dual layer disc, and numbering of layers starts at 0. The mastering SID code follows the outer ring matrix and precedes the inner ring matrix (the same code).

Both my Oppo BDP-103D and Panasonic DP-UB820-K seem to have no trouble playing everything on the disc, based on a quick spot check through every track. They both sometimes don't play the very beginning of tracks selected individually, across different audio formats but seeming more prevalent with DTS-HD Master Audio. Other than that... No issues to report. The disc looks fine, no obvious physical signs of rot.

I've so far 🤞 been lucky with all of my failure-prone Optimal discs, but I did seek out replacements for the Pink Floyd Early Years and DSotM Blu-rays, which could turn into coasters at any time. I suppose the same could be said of this disc. Given that this edition has been superseded by the 45th Anniversary Adapted Edition, which did not include a Blu-ray, I don't have much hope for a direct replacement program.

Glad to know the names (and the significance) of all of those codes. And yes: at a different time of day and in different light, I can now see that leading "I" in the mould SID code. (Damned if my naked eye can spot any trace of a mastering SID code, though!)

It's good to hear that not everyone is affected by this. One of the more puzzling things about it is that, like you, I can't see any obvious sign of internal rot, oxidation, whatever on my copy. The surface is fine, too.

I don't hold out much hope for a replacement, either, unless the label happens to have some leftovers sitting in the back of a closet. By this point they must be out of the 45th anniversary edition, too. I'd like them to offer us something for our trouble, though, even if it's just a home-burned backup copy.

Glad to know the names (and the significance) of all of those codes. And yes: at a different time of day and in different light, I can now see that leading "I" in the mould SID code. (Damned if my naked eye can spot any trace of a mastering SID code, though!)

It's good to hear that not everyone is affected by this. One of the more puzzling things about it is that, like you, I can't see any obvious sign of internal rot, oxidation, whatever on my copy. The surface is fine, too.

I don't hold out much hope for a replacement, either, unless the label happens to have some leftovers sitting in the back of a closet. By this point they must be out of the 45th anniversary edition, too. I'd like them to offer us something for our trouble, though, even if it's just a home-burned backup copy.
They would NOT send out leftovers (from the initial run) sitting anywhere expecting promising replacement copies. That would be a set-up for a nightmare scenario.

I too had this similar issue with my blu-ray. Aqualung, the song wouldn't start.
But, I decided to try it again after a length of time and, it worked fine.
Still, interested in what the label has to say.

For what it's worth here's a scan of the SID code from the clear inner ring on my bluray. The layer codes are the same as listed above and as stated yesterday, mine plays for now.

Aqualung Inner Ring.jpg

When i tried to rip my otherwise fully working disc it stops at 64% without any warnings. I am using CloneBD to rip the disc.
Well as long as the disc works everything is alright but i don´t like to have this problem anyway.
About what is said on the disc i can read that it says 0879969 DB49320-1 optimal media production L1

I don't own this myself but it's very sad to hear news about failing discs. I don't understand how it can happen today as it's basically the same (or very similar) as producing CDs. It's basically a layer of data protected by a plastic coating top and bottom which are glued together to seal. I can only think that somewhere down the line materials are being cheapened out on or glue used not up to scratch.

I've got CDs from the mid 80's which are still fine and they're 35 odd years old now!

Another problem could be firmware related as the blu-ray spec is a bit of a mess really with all the java/copy protection etc. Still, these should be readable on a PC with ripping software that removes/reads past this.

BTW, there are blu-ray movie discs that have failed, mostly a batch of Criterions from around 2010-2011 and lots of Lionsgate releases. I will post info in a separate post below. I've got 2 Criterions myself which fail to copy and have bronzed. In the grand scheme of things while it's not good, there must be millions of discs out there so this is an extremely small number that have failed.

I believe Optimal press most BD-A discs, especially within Europe...

I've got CDs from the mid 80's which are still fine and they're 35 odd years old now!

And I've got maybe a dozen LD's pre-dating CD and only 2 have any signs of laser rot. Even very 1st 3 CD's I purchased way back work fine. All my commercial DVD's & Blu-Rays I never had any problem with including Tull, so far. Ripped it back just fine the other day.

The only discs I've ever had problems with were DVD-R's from early days that had sticky labels put on them. And even in that case I stiill have a Basia LD>DVD dual layer surround upmix with a stickey label that plays like new.

Guess I'll count blessings in this area now...

And I've got maybe a dozen LD's pre-dating CD and only 2 have any signs of laser rot. Even very 1st 3 CD's I purchased way back work fine. All my commercial DVD's & Blu-Rays I never had any problem with including Tull, so far. Ripped it back just fine the other day.

The only discs I've ever had problems with were DVD-R's from early days that had sticky labels put on them. And even in that case I stiill have a Basia LD>DVD dual layer surround upmix with a stickey label that plays like new.

Guess I'll count blessings in this area now...
The problem probably for a lot of us here is; we rip the Blu-ray/DVD etc. and then it goes into storage long term and we don't even know what's gone bad 🤞

The problem probably for a lot of us here is; we rip the Blu-ray/DVD etc. and then it goes into storage long term and we don't even know what's gone bad 🤞
If we have it ripped to lossless files. maybe we are better off not knowing it's gone bad.

I’m not doing any of that.

If disks can’t be made to last anymore I just won’t buy any. Which is pretty much where I’m headed anyway.

Already have bricked copies of GYBR and Doors Perception. $300 down the tubes right there with no recourse.
GYBR?

Back