Jimi Hendrix - "Electric Ladyland" (50th Anniversary Edition with new 5.1 mix on Blu-Ray) 11/9/2018

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wayne and I went through this right after the White Album and being a guitarist, this is Wayne's fav Hendrix release and again we were underwhelmed with the surround mix. We agreed that so much more could have been done. It is a conservative mix. Gave it a 7. So now just waiting for the community to show up at the gates with torch in hand, hehe.

Last edited:
Wayne and I went through this right after the White Album and being a guitarist, this is Wayne's fav Hendrix release and again we were underwhelmed with the surround mix. We agreed that so much more could have been done. It is a conservative mix. Gave it a 7. So now just waiting for the community to show up at the gates with torch in hand, hehe.
Again, similar to my comment on White thread...no one is gonna say a word. I doubt. You have your opinions and the majority of others have theirs. It's all good.

Just to give us a frame of reference, what surround mixes really nailed it for you, if any?

Just to give us a frame of reference, what surround mixes really nailed it for you, if any?
Ya guyz I think my expectations were really high for this and the WA, I guess too high maybe.
Spoiled by releases like ELP, Yes, King Crimson, Elton and Avalon. Not all SW mixes but all very immersive with full use of all the channels. I guess I want SW to mix every thing hehe.

Hi Kids,

First off, I am thoroughly and righteously digging this blast from the past. I can hardly believe I'm actually hearing this.

With that said, the only thing that jumped out at me was "Crosstown Traffic." As has already been observed by other sharp-eared listeners here, the balance seemed skewed to the left by a distracting amount, and also the whole song just wasn't loud enough! There was a noticeable step down in volume from the preceding track, "Have You Ever Been..." I don't remember if this was the case with the old stereo mix, but if anything, I think it should be the other way around.

Anyway - I just had a look at it in Audacity, and sure enough, both right channels, front and rear, were reduced in level. In fact, both of them can be amplified by almost 2 dB without even clipping! So that's what I did - boosted RF and RR by +2 dB. Then I kicked up the RR by another 2 (4 total), which finally brought it into balance with the left rear, albeit with some very slight clipping, not enough to worry about. All this has also given the whole song a bit of a volume boost, which is good. Plus, the mix just sounds more lively, and, well, balanced.

To summarize: Right Front +2 db, Right Rear +4 dB.

OK, enough nerd dribble. Let's hear it again!

I took a punt on this as Electric Landlady (a wee joke based on something I saw on the documentary) is one of my favourite albums ever and despite the fact that there is only the book, the documentary and multichannel mix to be happy about with this release, and boy, am I happy with the multichannel mix, I think the box set is still worth the price of admission.

The surround mix is amazing. In fact, it's more than that: it's so trippy it sounds how the stereo version sounds when you're on acid! At one point when I was listening to the multichannel mix for the first time I genuinely felt as though I was tripping. I wasn't, of course, so I guess it must have been strong euphoric recall brought on by the trippy sounds that were so reminiscent of the trippy sounds I heard, no, experienced when I was tripping to Electric Ladyland back in the late '80s and early '90s. I won't say which song it was that produced such an intense reaction as I don't want to influence anyone's expectations in case it leads to disappointment, but what I will say is I would advise against taking acid and listening to the 5.1 mix in case you end up stuck in a permanent trip or stuck in a permanently freaked out state of mind!

I sometimes say Hawkwind took all the drugs so you don't have to in order to hear spaced out psychedelic rock... well now I can add to that that Eddie Kramer has mixed Electric Ladyland to sound like it sounds when you're on acid so you don't have to take acid - well done Eddie :)

There may not have be a good reason to limit this what appears to be 3db. I'm not a fan of volume war hyped stuff but 3db is NOT "volume war hype" at all. I'd defy anyone to pick out the limited copy A/B'ing level matched to the original in fact. "Volume war" limiting is usually in the 9 - 14db territory. I'd defend this one if this was the 16 bit CD version. Certainly fair to ask what's up with the 24 bit version. Crushed? Pretty far from it.

Sorry wrong dept

Jedi Mind Games by amazon....they do this sometimes to keep you going back to the website...White Album is back up again $129.99...they do this a lot and you have to consider with all the box set offerings some of these titles didn't hit the numbers they were expecting...

Say what you want about Amazon, my pre-order delivered on release day.
Today they figured out I never got the sales tax discount and made it right.

A promotional discount of $2.77 on your order #xxxxxxx was not properly applied.
As a result, we have refunded you this amount plus applicable taxes.

We apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sincerely,
Customer Service Department

Say what you want about Amazon, my pre-order delivered on release day.
Today they figured out I never got the sales tax discount and made it right.

A promotional discount of $2.77 on your order #xxxxxxx was not properly applied.
As a result, we have refunded you this amount plus applicable taxes.

We apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sincerely,
Customer Service Department

I got the same thing. Only my refund was a whopping $0.96. :LB

No such luck with Amazon AU. No price decrease from original listing.

The good news is Amazon US now accepts orders from AU once again (they now add the 10% GST) and we’ll now get the discounted pricing/refunds like we used to. But best of all we now get access to Amazon US catalog if it’s fulfilled by Amazon.

Well, I finally ordered this pup and should receive it a Monday. It’s hard to put into words what Jimi and his music have meant to me these past 52 years, so I’m a little nervous about finally spinning this one in surround.
Get ready! Put yourself in your sweet spot and then press PLAY. Then close your eyes until Jimi starts singing.

All I know is that Jimi was a certifiable genius on multiple levels: guitarist, poet, songwriter, producer, performer. He irreversibly revolutionized and raised the art of electric guitar playing to such a level that it's not been reached by mere mortals since. Jeff Beck has come close. I've loved Jimi and his music since Are You Experienced first came out and blew my innocent 10 year old mind. Nobody else has done that to me to the same degree since.

Back