Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2018 reissue of the classic Jimi Hendrix Experience album "Electric Ladyland".
This 50th anniversary edition contains a brand new 5.1 surround mix of the album from Jimi's longtime engineer Eddie Kramer. The Blu-Ray also features a full-length documentary on the making of the album, and the box set also contains CDs featuring alternate studio takes and live material from 1968.

(y):)(n)

Fourplay

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Still waiting for mine, but I wanted to comment that even the cover makes me happy, as this was what was intended by Jimi for the original cover, and in particular he hated the UK cover, as in fact did the women who appeared in the photo. This is a great chance to make it all right. It only took 50 years!

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Gave this a quick listen this AM. Will have to dig in a bit more before voting but so far, I like what I’ve heard. A few things that give me pause are elements which are just the nature of the original recording. A little bit of phase shifting goes a long way and this recording has a lot! When the effect is on the vocals, drums and guitar at the same time it can get a bit muddy. The other thing is the presentation of the drums in the mix. You are placed dead center in Mitch Mitchell’s drum kit - he is a very busy drummer which sometimes I like and sometimes not so much. A lot of cymbal work and when the phasing kicks in it occupies a frequency which competes and sometimes overwhelms other instruments. There is some very effective use of the surround element and most of the time it’s very cool! This is definitely going to be a surround mix to crawl deep inside [emoji106]

PaulMichael

Gave this a quick listen this AM. Will have to dig in a bit more before voting but so far, I like what I’ve heard. A few things that give me pause are elements which are just the nature of the original recording. A little bit of phase shifting goes a long way and this recording has a lot! When the effect is on the vocals, drums and guitar at the same time it can get a bit muddy. The other thing is the presentation of the drums in the mix. You are placed dead center in Mitch Mitchell’s drum kit - he is a very busy drummer which sometimes I like and sometimes not so much. A lot of cymbal work and when the phasing kicks in it occupies a frequency which competes and sometimes overwhelms other instruments. There is some very effective use of the surround element and most of the time it’s very cool! This is definitely going to be a surround mix to crawl deep inside [emoji106]
Dead center of Mitch? Meaning Eddie has put Tom rolls in the rears like Steven Wilson sometimes does? Or like the drum solo on zappas Live DVD A.?

Elad

I saw Jimi Hendrix a few times at the Fillmore East I have never seen anyone play guitar like him. Hearing him play red house took the blues to a whole new level for me. Listening to his albums and CD's were a different experience than live but it was Hendrix and wished he was recorded better.
Well I got my wish today Jimi Hendrix the way it should of been. I was firmly planted in my chair and away I went into space and was taken under the sea with Jimi as the pilot. Thank you Eddie you did Jimi good. 10. Now I am going to sit down and calm myself down lol

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I likewise voted a 10. I think Eddie Kramer really nailed it. Sounds pretty spectacular on my system. I've still avoided playing the Stereo 'hi res' remaster and IMO, why bother? The price was right and finally, a definitive version of Electric Ladyland. Beautiful packaging, as well.

BTW, AP's Stereo SACD remaster of Are You Experienced is due at the end of this month. Wonder if multitracks exist for Axis: Bold As Love and Are You Experienced?

Snood

Staff member
First Off - Holy Phucking Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!! :eek:

Went into this one after reading everyone's reviews before, thinking hmmmmm can it really be that good? Yeah Right - Eddie Kramer - has he ever done a surround mix??

Put on me green wavy lighting to match the TV screen. Turned off the other lights and turned it up loud. Then went WTF!!!??? Chin drop :eek::rocks:QQlove:rocks

And yes, Snood pants involuntarily flew off Snood body :hi

Like in Snood's other post me mentioned that at the end of the album me broke out in applause hand clapping to nobody and Snood never dooooo that. :unsure: Was like did that just happen out of the blue? An awesome classic album from 1968 done up absolutely brilliantly in 5.1? How can this be when it seems so many classic albums are half assed by people that consider themselves surround pros? :unsure:

Absolutely stunning effort.

Have not had a chance to listen to White Album to much going on.......but Electric Ladyland is a 10 :rocks :LB:SB:LB:SB:LB:SB:LB:rocks

3 Awesome releases in a row - Lennon, Beatles & Jimi - hmmmm Rush Hemispheres next week - remember those people me mentioned? Please Hemi don't be one of those pleaaaaaaaaaaase :rolleyes:

markshan

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I gave it a nine. It's a really good, if slightly conservative mix and the fidelity is excellent. I only heard one thing that bothered me, but it was on my second favorite track and it was distracting enough for me that it hurt my enjoyment of the album. I don't understand the treatment they gave the snare in All Along the Watchtower. It sounds very, for lack of a better word, fake. It's the one spot where I am hearing technology rather than music. FWIW, I think a nine is a very high score. I try to reserve 10's for releases I personally find to be perfect, so don't jump on me for pulling down the aggregate, please.

Snood

Staff member
I gave it a nine. It's a really good, if slightly conservative mix and the fidelity is excellent. I only heard one thing that bothered me, but it was on my second favorite track and it was distracting enough for me that it hurt my enjoyment of the album. I don't understand the treatment they gave the snare in All Along the Watchtower. It sounds very, for lack of a better word, fake. It's the one spot where I am hearing technology rather than music. FWIW, I think a nine is a very high score. I try to reserve 10's for releases I personally find to be perfect, so don't jump on me for pulling down the aggregate, please.
Thought the snare drummer boy in front of army kind of thing was kind of koo if u take it in that context. Perhaps Eddie has some inside knowledge of what Jim was going for in the song and brought it out. Just a thought. Nah Marky no flaming for opinions here....a 9 is high praise tooooo:rocks

Elad

First Off - Holy Phucking Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!! :eek:

Went into this one after reading everyone's reviews before, thinking hmmmmm can it really be that good? Yeah Right - Eddie Kramer - has he ever done a surround mix??

Put on me green wavy lighting to match the TV screen. Turned off the other lights and turned it up loud. Then went WTF!!!??? Chin drop :eek::rocks:QQlove:rocks

And yes, Snood pants involuntarily flew off Snood body :hi

Like in Snood's other post me mentioned that at the end of the album me broke out in applause hand clapping to nobody and Snood never dooooo that. :unsure: Was like did that just happen out of the blue? An awesome classic album from 1968 done up absolutely brilliantly in 5.1? How can this be when it seems so many classic albums are half assed by people that consider themselves surround pros? :unsure:

Absolutely stunning effort.

Have not had a chance to listen to White Album to much going on.......but Electric Ladyland is a 10 :rocks:LB:SB:LB:SB:LB:SB:LB:rocks

3 Awesome releases in a row - Lennon, Beatles & Jimi - hmmmm Rush Hemispheres next week - remember those people me mentioned? Please Hemi don't be one of those pleaaaaaaaaaaase :rolleyes:
Not really sure what you're all about but have to tell you you're are one cool dude your posts make me smile. Thanks

beerking

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Not really sure what you're all about but have to tell you you're are one cool dude your posts make me smile. Thanks
Snood is the real dude....he reaches the parts where us mere mortals fear to tread.:SB:SB:SB:SB

I still cant really believe I've heard this iconic album in surround...fantastic!!

Can I vote again please?

Last edited:

HugoPhyrst

First vote. First post. I've been accumulating some great surround music over the past 5 years and dreamed of the day a Hendrix album would come out. This mix exceeded my expectations. Great album - content 10, mix 10 , fidelity 10.

My expectations were not great after buying the EL remaster CD several years ago. And I understand the stereo in this set is also brickwalled. But the surround mix sounds great, especially really LOUD!

Clint Eastwood

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
First vote. First post. I've been accumulating some great surround music over the past 5 years and dreamed of the day a Hendrix album would come out. This mix exceeded my expectations. Great album - content 10, mix 10 , fidelity 10.

My expectations were not great after buying the EL remaster CD several years ago. And I understand the stereo in this set is also brickwalled. But the surround mix sounds great, especially really LOUD!
Welcome to the forum...another member from the great northeast:hi