Jimi Hendrix Live at Monterey on HD DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odys

701 Club - QQ All-Star
In 5.1, no mention of whether it's in TrueHD, DTS or DD, but I'm buying it regardless. So far it looks like it's just a UK import. Sorry Bluray :D

http://hddvdformat.blogspot.com/

Friday, September 14, 2007
'The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At Monterey (The Definitive Edition)' On HD DVD

Universal Music has indicated that we can expect The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live At Monterey (The Definitive Edition) released on single-disc HD DVD in the United Kingdom, this October 29 (day-and-date with the single-disc DVD).

This special edition DVD/HD DVD features all of the existing film footage from Jimi’s incendiary June 18, 1967 concert newly transferred to high-definition specification from the original 16mm camera reversal original. Re-edited and presented in its original performance sequence, this DVD/HD DVD showcase of a legendary performance is completely unreleased. The DVD soundtrack, also available on CD and Vinyl, features a new 5.1 surround and 2.0 stereo mixes by Eddie Kramer, Jimi’s original engineer.

In addition to the legendary Monterey performance, this Definitive Edition DVD/HD DVD features a multitude of special bonus features including:

AMERICAN LANDING
A brand new documentary which traces Jimi’s remarkable transformation from obscurity to his triumphant U.S. ‘debut’ at the Monterey Festival.
THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE: LIVE AT MONTEREY: A SECOND LOOK
A unique feature that allows viewers to switch between multiple, previously unseen camera angles to view several of Jimi’s celebrated performances like never before.
MUSIC, LOVE & FLOWERS:THE MONTEREY INTERNATIONAL POP FESTIVAL
This is a behind the scenes glimpse of the festival’s origins, operations and lasting impact brought to you by legendary composer, producer and Monterey Festival co-founder Lou Adler.
EARLIEST KNOWN UNRELEASED PERFORMANCES
As an extra special bonus to the DVD, watch the earliest known film and sound recordings of The Jimi Hendrix Experience in concert from February 25, 1967 before a packed audience in Chelmsford, England. Songs featured are “Stone Free” and “Like A Rolling Stone.”

I would have bought this in a heartbeat. But no HD version (yet) in the states. :(

I was ambivalent at first about another Monterey release yet, this is a upgrade for the extra footage and the documentary.

In 5.1, no mention of whether it's in TrueHD, DTS or DD, but I'm buying it regardless. So far it looks like it's just a UK import. Sorry Bluray :D

Here we go again. More format bashing from the newbies. Listen, if you think that a video from 1967 in ANY HD format is going to be worth a crap ... and let's not even get started on the quality of discrete surround sound that is possible. Blu-ray or not, who cares.

Here we go again. More format bashing from the newbies. Listen, if you think that a video from 1967 in ANY HD format is going to be worth a crap ... and let's not even get started on the quality of discrete surround sound that is possible. Blu-ray or not, who cares.

I disagree the sound mix might not be upto much but i believe it was recorded on 8 track tape so there is scope not nessassarily for a great descrete mix but enough for a good 'live surround sound'.

As for the picture quality again this can be good/very good as it was filmed on film rather than Video tape. providing the film stock is kept well the film can be converted very well to HD Formats not sure if it was filmed on 16mm or 32mm film stock though.

Last edited:
I think this release should be really good. Of course the limitations of the 40 year old recording and film are the only concerns but I have seen some great old concert footage. These two next generation formats is the only way to get the best video and audio possible simultaneously so I hope it is a huge success and we see the best possible treatment of other similar material going forward. Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, and you name it, I would like to see it happen. I marvel at the quality of 70 year old films like "The Adventures of Robin Hood" on HD DVD. I am sure it looks great on DVD too, but the HD DVD is amazing.

Chris

The DVD soundtrack, also available on CD and Vinyl, features a new 5.1 surround and 2.0 stereo mixes by Eddie Kramer, Jimi’s original engineer.

amazing that they allow him in 5.1 for a re release dvd movie with the original engineer but not for any of his original lp/cd releases.

Wow, I'm still a newbie after a year and 3 months? What's the official cut-off? :rolleyes:

Sorry Quadzilla, just watched the SD video (HD not available in the swamps of New Orleans yet) and the remastering of the original stock was worth a crap (to use your phrase) :phones. Based on my SD copy I am now going to get an HD copy and do a side by side comparison. If the HD version is superior to the SD version, you know what comes next....

Sorry BluRay! :banana:

PS - The re-engineered 5.1 audio in DTS sounds lovely too. :smokin

Back