Joe Bonamassa - Tales of Time LIVE (CD/BluRay)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like this is mostly his latest album, Time Clocks. And if you haven't heard it, it has an excellent surround version done by Bob Clearmountain available to stream. It's in Atmos but I've only listened in 5.1. I'd have bought a physical copy of it in a heartbeat if it was available. I'll probably have to get this one.

K

There are 2 versions available on Amazon today... the 'standard' CD/Blu-ray available in the US and the EU version...

the EU version specifically states:
"BLU-RAY VIDEO (dts-HD | Master Audio 5.1)"

while the 'standard' version states:

"Disc: 2"​

Not exactly helpful......

I'll probably order the EU version just to be safe, although it's 2x the price... :confused:

This habit of not stating the audio track on blu-ray discs is frustrating... I purchased the TOOL Optiate 2 blu-ray, expecting multi-channel bliss only to find out it was a hi-rez 2 channel mix....

It was in the track listing section. I copied and pasted the header for "disc 2" on each listing.

I'm headed to a local record shop to look at the physical copy and will update what I find...

I picked up a copy locally. It's listed as dts-HD master Audio 5.1 on the back...

Attachments

• IMG_20230414_114208.jpg
    IMG_20230414_114208.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Just got my CD/BD in from Amazon. A pretty immersive mix for a live show IMO. At times the audience is a little too loud in the rears; but there're also a good wrap around feel to the whole thing in (yes in- dts-HD master Audio 5.1.)

Sometimes (song 2, so far only... still tagging) you get the back-up singers in the rears, Josh Smith's guitar or Reese Wynans keyboards/synths in the rears.

For a live show, I can't imagine folks will be too disappointed in this one! :)

JB TOFT BD.jpg

I’m now watching the show on my main system -Oppo 205 in dts-HD Master Audio 5.1; and it seems like Joe’s vocals and guitar are mixed way too far back, so I switched to stereo ( sounding much better but no surround is a bummer.) I’ll need someone else to chime in on the surround mix from the actual Blu-ray and let me know if they’re hearing the same thing 🧐

Last edited:
I’m glad I’m not the only one! I had to register an account just to chime in.

Let me preface by saying that I’ve never had an issue with any of Joe’s previous live concert blu-rays, so it saddens me to report that the 5.1 mix on this new blu-ray release is a total mess 😞

Not only is the audio and picture slightly off-sync but the crowd noise, backup singers, and Joe’s vocal reverb are too prominently placed in the rear speakers making it an incredibly distracting experience. The guitar solos and main vocals are buried.

The PCM stereo option is in-sync and the better option here but naturally I want to utilize my 5.1 surround system.

I emailed customer service but may return this purchase depending on their reply. Hopefully those feeling the same way email [email protected] too

Bummer since the concert is a great one!

Last edited:
My copy arrived today.

Bought here
Tales Of Time Amazon.co.uk

First listen

Mastered by Bob Ludwig
Mixed by Kevin Shirley at The Cave.

Intermission

Watching Manchester United away at Nottingham Forest.

Back laters.
Please give us your feedback on this one as well Mike; at first playing it on my computer rig (cheaper near field setup) I thought it sounded OK but I was mainly focused on the rears and had only played one song. But like I said once I played the actual Blu-ray on my main system it sounded like Joe was way too soft and muddied up in the fronts. I'm pretty crushed by this :cry:, as yes, I believe it's one of my fav. Bonamassa shows I've seen. I can futz with the sound files with DeMix Pro etc. but won't have it with the video. I've played other titles on my main system afterwards, just to make sure I hadn't accidently messed up some setting; but everything seems OK there.

P.S.
I know how important keeping up with the ballin' is also ⚽; my Sac. Town Kings 🏀 just beat the 4 time & current World champ Warriors for game one of the playoffs after a long 17 year drought 😄

Manu won 2 0....yay.

This is a very good show by Joe.

The live mix is certainly different.
Plenty of action in the Rears.
Joe's voice sounds a bit muffled.
Was that deliberate?
Yes the Rears are more pronounced than the fronts.
Yes, the backing singers are loud and clear.
Way more than Joe's voice.
In fact most of the points raised by mggonzalez are indeed evident in my copy.

Oh dear...what's going on with quality control?

I think more investigation is needed to find out what was in the mixers mind and how Bob gave it a green light.

I'm getting the same results as you Pups

Please give us your feedback on this one as well Mike; at first playing it on my computer rig (cheaper near field setup) I thought it sounded OK but I was mainly focused on the rears and had only played one song. But like I said once I played the actual Blu-ray on my main system it sounded like Joe was way too soft and muddied up in the fronts. I'm pretty crushed by this :cry:, as yes, I believe it's one of my fav. Bonamassa shows I've seen. I can futz with the sound files with DeMix Pro etc. but won't have it with the video. I've played other titles on my main system afterwards, just to make sure I hadn't accidently messed up some setting; but everything seems OK there.

P.S.
I know how important keeping up with the ballin' is also ⚽; my Sac. Town Kings 🏀 just beat the 4 time & current World champ Warriors for game one of the playoffs after a long 17 year drought 😄
It is strange, Pups, how the final mix does not give provenance to Joe's voice and his guitar playing.

I think I will do some speaker, volume adjustment, to check if that makes a difference .

Such a shame, this is a really good show.

I've raised the fronts to +12 from +8
And lowered the surrounds and rears to +4

Them gals are still too loud.

But Joe's voice and guitar playing has a better mix.

Me thinks there's been a cock-up made in the mixing process.
I just don't understand it at all, how it could be that hosed up.

It had the potential to be a really great live surround show; which are few and far between.

I just don't understand it at all, how it could be that hosed up.

It had the potential to be a really great live surround show; which are few and far between.
I know Pups 🐶
I reckon I could raise the fronts more and still lower the rears and get a better result.

The thing is, there is plenty going on in the Rears but it, bizarrely, overshadows Joe's performance.

Not often I complain about too much going on in the Rears!!

And Kevin Shirley is Joe's go to man, when it comes to mixing his music.

Back