Joni Mitchell?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rumblings over at Hoffman about the next Joni set!
'The Joni Mitchell 'Archives': Discussion Thread!
1659010345267.png

Very exciting! Sadly--apparently--according to a later post by the in-the-know OP: no Quadio. The description & tracklist mentions 4 CDs/5 LPs (and streaming) only. This is only a stripped-out "Albums" set, though; maybe we can still hold out hope for Quadio to be included with the full-blown Archives, Vol. 3 set, due out next year? And let's not forget that Joni was recently spotted at The Mix Lab, listening to unspecified Atmos mixes. . . . ("You Turn Me On I'm A Radio"--the first preview track from the set--doesn't seem to have shown up on Apple Music yet. Has anyone with Tidal or Amazon HD tried it to see if it's Atmos?)
https://tidal.com/browse/album/238740768https://music.amazon.com/albums/B0B76HHXRG?do=play&ref=dm_ws_dp_ald_bb_phfa_xx_xx_xx

Last edited:
Last edited:
And as for Henry Lewy: I've certainly read plenty about their close relationship, but never that he'd worked on those quad mixes. . . .
Same! The mix aesthetic with the bass guitar in rear center matches other WEA quads, which made me assume they were the work of staff engineers like Donn Landee or Lee Herschberg (Herschberg even mentioned creating a test quad mix of the song “Carey” in an article from the early ‘70s).

I think it's possible that he oversaw or participated in the quad mixes alongside someone else who was actually twiddling the knobs and so on.

Also, by the time these albums were done Joni was on Asylum, which was an Elektra subsidiary, so it's also possible that Elektra chief engineer Bruce Morgan had a hand in the quad mixes as he definitely did some of the other Elektra quad mixes, and was in charge of their quad program.

Last edited:
Very exciting! Sadly--apparently--according to a later post by the in-the-know OP: no Quadio. The description & tracklist mentions 4 CDs/5 LPs (and streaming) only. This is only a stripped-out "Albums" set, though; maybe we can still hold out hope for Quadio to be included with the full-blown Archives, Vol. 3 set, due out next year? And let's not forget that Joni was recently spotted at The Mix Lab, listening to unspecified Atmos mixes. . . . ("You Turn Me On I'm A Radio"--the first preview track from the set--doesn't seem to have shown up on Apple Music yet. Has anyone with Tidal or Amazon HD tried it to see if it's Atmos?)
https://tidal.com/browse/album/238740768https://music.amazon.com/albums/B0B76HHXRG?do=play&ref=dm_ws_dp_ald_bb_phfa_xx_xx_xx
The quad and 5.1 mixes are in their release plans if I've read correctly a message from someone there. Definitely the team knows of them, has discussed them and the tapes are still on the list. It seems they will be in a dedicated release. I doubt it will have a "Quadio" title if it includes 5.1 mixes.

The quad and 5.1 mixes are in their release plans if I've read correctly a message from someone there. Definitely the team knows of them, has discussed them and the tapes are still on the list. It seems they will be in a dedicated release. I doubt it will have a "Quadio" title if it includes 5.1 mixes.
That's . . . almost too much to hope for! (Consequently, I will make every effort not to build myself up for a letdown.) So does this mean that the rumored 5.1 mix of Hejira, for instance, actually exists? You don't have to answer. . . .

That's . . . almost too much to hope for! (Consequently, I will make every effort not to build myself up for a letdown.) So does this mean that the rumored 5.1 mix of Hejira, for instance, actually exists? You don't have to answer. . . .
I didn't get a list of titles, but I was told there are more than the two quads that were released, and to "expect some surprises".

I didn't get a list of titles, but I was told there are more than the two quads that were released, and to "expect some surprises".
Well, the OP over at SHF mentioned a quad of For the Roses Miles of Aisles, so there's one surprise. I'm sure people will have lots of fun anticipating the others. . . .

Last edited:
Well, the OP over at SHF mentioned a quad of For the Roses, so there's one surprise. I'm sure people will have lots of fun anticipating the others. . . .
I guess the surround material will be in next year's "Archives 1972-1975 box of unreleased material". I also saw a post over there claiming a quad mix of the Miles Of Aisles live album may exist.

I guess the surround material will be in next year's "Archives 1972-1975 box of unreleased material". I also saw a post over there claiming a quad mix of the Miles Of Aisles live album may exist.
For The Roses and Miles of Aisles were the ones I was thinking of strictly from just the years they were released, but I was wasn’t sure about Miles of Aisles because it was live, I guess only time will tell. Either way this is such exciting news!

Yikes--don't know what's happening to my memory lately. Yes: it was Miles of Aisles that was mentioned at Hoffman. Roses is wishful thinking on my part, I think--prompted by past rumors? Let the speculation begin!

No specific mention of surround sound, but given everything else we know from recent events, this make me optimistic....

From Ultimate Classic Rock:

Joni Mitchell’s label boss predicted there was more to come from the artist as she continued her recovery from the brain aneurysm she had in 2015.

Last month she made a surprise return to the stage, playing at the Newport Folk Festival with assistance from other musicians. It was later revealed that no one was certain if Mitchell would take part until the moments leading up to the performance.

In a new interview with Uncut, Rhino Records A&R director Patrick Milligan said the show followed the happy experience of remixing four albums Mitchell had released in the ‘70s. “Joni has been going through therapy to get beyond her aneurysm, and in the three years I’ve known her, the improvement has been incredible,” he said. “She told me, ‘Working on these projects has helped me.’ I think we’re going to be hearing more from her all the time. She is really getting back into the swing of things.”

Engineer Ken Caillat, who worked with Mitchell on the old recordings, recalled that she told him, “I love the sound of my voice. … I can’t believe how good my voice sounds!” She was so happy, she danced for joy in the studio. “She was thrilled,” Caillat noted. “And we were thrilled that she was thrilled.”

The upcoming reissues – For the Roses, Court and Spark, The Hissing of Summer Lawns and the live LP Miles of Aisles – build on the more complex, textured approach Mitchell had taken toward production. Guitarist Larry Carlton, who worked with her during that era, hailed her work by saying that "she valued spontaneity, until she got her hands on the music after the fact.

“With her great musicality, she got to shape the final product off of our spontaneity. That’s where her brilliance shines through. I always like to make sure that she gets all the credit! She was such a great musical editor, and if you gave her gems and pearls, she could put them together and make something wonderful out of what she received.”

Maybe just projecting wishful thinking, but something caught my eye going back through the jlf posts in the SHF. The wording in the last paragraph about the new box set-

‘Mitchell continues to be intimately involved in producing these collections, lending her vision and personal touch to every element of the projects. Future releases in the archive series will arrive in a similar manner, with a boxed set focused on studio albums from a specific era, followed by an official “Archives” release looking at unreleased audio from the same period.’

It could have said unreleased music or songs, but it says “audio” :unsure:

Back