• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

July 2017 Quadio Forum Musings

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
I also really liked the Aretha album, was it only dismissed by some of the potential buyers because it had been available on reel?
I think most members on this forum who were really into Quadraphonic audio back in the day would prefer if the labels focused less on reissuing those albums that were available on reel and focus more on those albums that were not released on reel.
As for me, that doesn't matter at all. I'm just looking for those releases that have both the best music and the best Quadraphonic mix to be put out there again.

:)

ar surround

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I think most members on this forum who were really into Quadraphonic audio back in the day would prefer if the labels focused less on reissuing those albums that were available on reel and focus more on those albums that were not released on reel.
As for me, that doesn't matter at all. I'm just looking for those releases that have both the best music and the best Quadraphonic mix to be put out there again.

Oh how I wish that I had had the money for a quadraphonic RTR deck and the reels themselves back in the day. It is remarkable that I was able to afford a full-logic SQ / CD-4 set-up. So I'd like to see them focus on both...surround sound greed is indeed good!

The Quadfather

Since 2002/2003
As long as we're all speculating here, I would love to see some Alice Cooper earlier stuff like "Love it to Death" or "Killer" in quad. I have "Welcome to my Nightmare" in 5.1 DVD-A, and it is most excellent. But they probably didn't do the earlier stuff in multitrack. Another band I would like to have in quad is Black Oak Arkansas. Anything except "Raunch and Roll" which was released in CD-4, and I already have. These would have the same limitation I'm afraid. I could think of others, right off the top of my head, like Deep Purple "Fireball", and maybe "Who do we Think we are". All excellent stuff.

The Quadfather

sperezmore

400 Club - QQ All-Star
I'll just leave this here…

But seriously, there's really no better way to follow on from the Chicago box set than with a Doobie Brothers Quadio set, so now I think it's super imperative that we all do our part and buy the upcoming Doors release!
The more that these Quadraphonic Blu-Ray discs sell, the more likely it will be that we will get more, and that's already proven to be true!

Day 1 for me

Regards,

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
And while you're here, can you let us know the estimated street date for the Perception box set [Blu-ray]?

But only after work on the Doobie Brothers Quadio set is done and it is released. Just saying... ;)

sjcorne

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
And while you're here, can you let us know the estimated street date for the Perception box set [Blu-ray]?

Seems kinda like overkill considering it already exists in DVD-A and SACD...both seem to be readily available at decent prices.

More quad should be the priority IMO

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
I'm in for this but would love Rhino to get surround of the Fleetwood Mac catalog.
Well maybe we'll get the completed 5.1 mix of the '75 Fleetwood Mac album when they eventually put together a box set for that album (similar to the box set releases for "Rumors", "Tusk", "Mirage", and "Tango in the Night".)

dobyblue

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Seems kinda like overkill considering it already exists in DVD-A and SACD...both seem to be readily available at decent prices.

More quad should be the priority IMO
I was just being playful.

I'd like Rhino to contract Bob Clearmountain to do a 5.1 mix of Jane's Addiction's Ritual de lo Habitual (Warner) while we're in its 25th year long before I need Perception on a third format.

:banana:

Last edited:

vinylguy4

600 Club - QQ All-Star
I'd go for a Seals and Crofts quadio box set of their quad releases. Should be enough material for a good box.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
I'd go for a Seals and Crofts quadio box set of their quad releases. Should be enough material for a good box.
Yep, there's 4 Quadraphonic mixes, but I'm not sure they have enough interest in general to get Warner/Rhino to sign on for such a release.
If Warner/Rhino started licensing out Quadraphonic mixes to Dutton Vocalion though, the Seals & Crofts Quadraphonic mixes would be perfect releases for DV.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Reactions: GOS

humprof

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Steve (ForagingRhino) has already talked about this, but that kind of box set idea would be a logistical headache for all involved.
See his answer here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/will-rhino-release-a-doobie-brothers-quadio-edition-yes.23088/page-9#post-367816
Plenty of us would take a Joni Mitchell set on its own, yeah? And I forget how many Gordon Lightfoots (-feet?) and Jackson Brownes there are, but maybe at some point Rhino would consider two-fers of Randy Newman and JT...

Group builder