June 2019 DV Releases (MFSB, Guess Who, Herbie Hancock, and Donald Byrd)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MFSB and Guess Who arrived on Swedish soil today \o/

Looks like MFSB had another Quad release, Love Is The Message, apart from Philadelphia Freedom, curious why those two didn’t make up a two-fer? Or maybe another two-fer a la one quad and one stereo only will pop up?

Last edited:
Looks like MFSB had another Quad release, Love Is The Message, apart from Philadelphia Freedom, curious why those two didn’t make up a two-fer?

I was wondering about that myself - unfortunately, it seems another label beat them to the punch on licensing Love Is The Message:
Philadelphia Freedom would have been a 2fer with Love is the Message but it is (or at least was, at the time that D-V enquired) under license to another label in the UK at the moment so it wasn't avaiable. I'm sure if the situation changes in that regard in the future that it will definitely be on D-V's radar, especially if the Philadelphia Freedom/Summertime disc sells well. So there's no nefarious reason for this happening, and it's not due to any missing master tapes either, I can put that supposition to bed.

I have to say though, now that I've heard them both in discrete form, I definitely think Philadelphia Freedom is the superior quad mix. Love Is The Message has a bit of an odd layout with the drums diagonally spread across the room.

I was wondering about that myself - unfortunately, it seems another label beat them to the punch on licensing Love Is The Message:

I have to say though, now that I've heard them both in discrete form, I definitely think Philadelphia Freedom is the superior quad mix. Love Is The Message has a bit of an odd layout with the drums diagonally spread across the room.
Which do you think is the better album musically?

My four arrived From DV today Hancock guess who blackbyrds and MFBS. Unfortunately 3 of the 4 cases are broken with the guess who case in Pieces and the tray card bent up. The disc looks ok. I have occasionally received a cracked case from them but never this much damage. I have let them know.

My four arrived From DV today Hancock guess who blackbyrds and MFBS. Unfortunately 3 of the 4 cases are broken with the guess who case in Pieces and the tray card bent up. The disc looks ok. I have occasionally received a cracked case from them but never this much damage. I have let them know.

Unfortunately, jefe, my previous order from D~V consisting of 7 discs contained three cracked cases [nothing serious, though] and I did comment on this current order and they wrapped this shipment in bubble wrap before shipping them out. Still, only a minor crack in one of the cases this time around. I really think D~V should dispense with their present thin corrugated shipping material and resort to something a bit more sturdy....most especially those being shipped internationally.

Last edited:
Mine were waiting for me when I got home last night (Guess Who, Herbie Hancock, and Donald Byrd) ordered a couple of minutes after the first post). 10 day turnover, not bad DV Thanks!

Yes! I ordered my on June 17 and found them on my front porch on June 24!

Am I the only one here totally unfamiliar with any of these releases, except for may be the Tomita ? I see all you folks rraving about these discs and I haven't a clue about what they are or where to start. It is easy with the classical release at least since I have familiarity with the repertoire, but the rest ??????

Am I the only one here totally unfamiliar with any of these releases, except for may be the Tomita ? I see all you folks rraving about these discs and I haven't a clue about what they are or where to start. It is easy with the classical release at least since I have familiarity with the repertoire, but the rest ??????
Sounds like you should go on YouTube, discogs, Amazon Music or elsewhere and just sample the music in stereo first. As far as access to basic music content like on YouTube, that ship has sailed long ago.

They release Classical albums on the Dutton Epoch label and the Popular albums on the Dutton Vocalion label.

I'm guessing that more people on QQ are familiar with this batch of releases (The Guess Who - Rock/Pop, Donald Byrd - Jazz, Herbie Hancock - Jazz, MFSB - Soul) than the Classical ones from Dutton Epoch.

Back