Just How rare is Red Octopus Qad Record?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erniegiro

http://cgi.ebay.com/JEFFERSON-STARS...inyl?hash=item53dbf98818&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

OK, just how rare is this in quad? $177.77's worth of rare? Any forum members care to weigh in?

Has anybody heard the quad mix of this and is it worth pursuing?

This is one of the LP's I actually owned back in the 70's when I was hoping to acquire a quad system capable of decoding it. I've only heard it in stereo.

I used to own Dragonfly too. But I recently bid and won a copy of it for $7.99 plus shipping, and as I remember, to my tastes it was a BETTER LP than Red Octopus. But to my ears the quad mix isn't earth-shaking, it seems to have been made up to "cash in" on the quad trend. But please if you're a fan don't take too unkindly to my critique of it, as it is 30+ years after the fact and after hearing many superb remixes of 70's stereo stuff into SACD/DVD-A.

Oh well, I won't be bidding on this copy.

How rare? In relative terms....not rare at all. This guy is trawling for a sucker. I am a fan of the Jefferson's but their quad mixes were not very adventurous at all, mostly percussion being solely in the back channels.
JohN S.

The only "really rare" JA-related quad is Papa John Creach album, done as Q8-only in US and as a CD4 in Japan.

Shoot, I just bought the quad reel, mint perfect, for less than half of that amount! However, for someone who needs this to complete a JA collection, who knows what it's worth. Good luck to the seller...........

Not very rare at all.

Most mainstream US CD-4's were easy to obtain, even years after quad died.
I used to see sealed copies all the time.

For albums (like all of JA/JS) that were also released on quad reel, no one's buying the CD-4 for the sonics. So it's really only the curio factor, which for all but die-hards should be low.

Too bad about Bark, it's my favorite of the pre-Starship LP's. I have the orig stereo LP pressing and it always sounded clean. I'd love to hear what "Pretty As You Feel" sounds like in a quad mix.

Too bad about Bark, it's my favorite of the pre-Starship LP's. I have the orig stereo LP pressing and it always sounded clean. I'd love to hear what "Pretty As You Feel" sounds like in a quad mix.
I'd like to hear what anything on that LP sounds like in a quad mix. The stereo LP was almost mono, very little separation on most tracks.

Isn't the US Q8 tape fairly common? I'm surprised a conversion hasn't been done to date. Anybody want to do one, I got a copy..... :D And Sunfighter.........unfortuantely, no "Blows Against The Empire" that is one I'd like to see done in 5.1! John S.

Isn't the US Q8 tape fairly common? I'm surprised a conversion hasn't been done to date. Anybody want to do one, I got a copy..... :D And Sunfighter.........unfortuantely, no "Blows Against The Empire" that is one I'd like to see done in 5.1! John S.

Be patient and your wait will be rewarded:D;).

Does the Red Octopus reel sound decent? From what I've read the stereo master had all but disintegrated even at the time of the first CD issue.

I'd love to hear a quad DVD-A transfer of Sunfighter, too :) It's my favorite Slick/Kantner album.

I've often said "If I own it, it can't be that rare." because I'm a complete nobody living in the middle of B-F nowhere.
So if I have it.... yeah.

Matter of fact, since I'm not really a big J-A fan, and at this point I'm just trying to be a completeist.... I think I scored it in a bulk-buy of RCA Quad titles. Probably paid less than $10 for the Q8.

Back