King Crimson .Live at the Orpheum ,LA 2014 DVD-A-96/24+ONLY STEREO?????

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does not seem to be a typo. Besides this, it's only like a 40 minutes scerpt of a 2 hours concert. I can't understand the rationale behind this release, specially in the context of a band that has accustomed us to get more than 20 full concerts in a single box

Don't think it's a typo. Robert Fripp has previously stated he prefers stereo for live releases. USA 40th Anniversary had no surround.

WHY??????
has he not listened to the wonderful SW Live mixes???
and besides, with all those drummers onstage it'll be impossible to tell who is doing what in stereo....
hey, wait, even better, then instead of Stereo, he should have them in MONO...anyway, that's how the audience hears a concert ,RIGHT?????

GEEEEEEZZZZZZ LOUISSSEEEEEE!!!!!

I tried resisting but couldn't help myself...should have resisted. I'm sure that the band is something to behold live but this "mini" document comes off a bit flat. I'm less concerned with the 2.0 element than I am with the dynamics - I have to turn this up REALLY loud to get any sense of excitement level. The playing as expected is above reproach especially Mel Collins and Mr. Fripp. The first 3 tracks (One More Red Nightmare - sandwhiched between some incidental music (not good when there is only 41 minutes) are a bit limp. It gets better towards the end - especially Construktion of Light, The Letters and Sailor's Tale.

I'm sure I'm going to get killed for this but this could stand a little compression.

I have defended this release being of former album length; it seems to not be intended to be considered a full album release, just a postcard of something that happened recently.

Got my copy a couple days ago and have only managed to hear the CD in the car a couple of times. At first I thought the volume increase required signaled more headroom, which is somewhat true, but it is nagging a bit as you kind of expect something else to be happening. Maybe it is that compression synapse in the brain wanting some...

Having attended the October 1st show represented within (not sure which tracks yet, Starless is a safe bet) I can attest to the majesty of the ensemble playing for the majority of the time. I enjoyed all sorts of percussion mayhem and other sounds coming out of the rear speakers of the auditorium at key moments. Disappointing that the DVD-A this release doesn't reflect any of that surround nature; perhaps it was not up to the standard they were expecting? I don't know. I do know that Gavin Harrison mixed the front line (drummers) as that makes sense. He has the experience and the patience to sort out the might clatter that ensued during these shows.

I suspect other show recordings are released that will compliment this release in some sense. I will try out the DVD-A ASAP, it's probably going to feel about the same. King Crimson is a way of doing things (and in some instances, not doing things).

Update on King Crimson live release from 2015 shows:

http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=5467

Full live album gathering together the complete King Crimson setlist compiled from numerous nights and selected performances. In response to overwhelming demand for video of the group’s shows, the multi-disc set will come with selected in-concert footage.

This major release will be made available to coincide with the start of King Crimson’s return to live performance later in September 2016.

So, full setlist :banana:, includes video :banana:, multi-disc, so must include 5.1 surely :mad:@:

Update on King Crimson live release from 2015 shows:

http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=5467

Full live album gathering together the complete King Crimson setlist compiled from numerous nights and selected performances. In response to overwhelming demand for video of the group’s shows, the multi-disc set will come with selected in-concert footage.

This major release will be made available to coincide with the start of King Crimson’s return to live performance later in September 2016.

So, full setlist :banana:, includes video :banana:, multi-disc, so must include 5.1 surely :mad:@:

Let's hope so! :)

Latest posts

Back