Larry Fast - Synergy: Electronic Realisations for Rock Orchestra in 5.1 on DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Only TRUE DTS 96/24 is DTS HD Master Audio for blu ray audio/video. DTS 96/24 DVD is really 16/48 MASTERED from 96/24.

DTS HD is the only DTS tech that is *lossless*. That doesn't mean DTS 96/24 is '16/48'. It's a core+extension lossy format, where the extension is lossy encoding of the source content that was present in the 24-48kHz range.

And yes,the other selling point is that the original sampling (before encoding) is 96/24 (otherwise , the idea of encoding the 24k-48kHz band would be even sillier than it is).

And it *is*silly, really. Mostly specsmanship pandering to 'audiophiles' who think they can hear anything above 20kHz. It's still *lossy*, which is enough to make audiophiles turn of their noses from the get go. (Not me: DTS is a very good lossy codec, I'm not outraged when a release is only offered in DTS...or AC3 for that matter)

DTS HD is the only DTS tech that is *lossless*. That doesn't mean DTS 96/24 is '16/48'. It's a core+extension lossy format, where the extension is lossy encoding of the source content that was present in the 24-48kHz range.

And yes,the other selling point is that the original sampling (before encoding) is 96/24 (otherwise , the idea of encoding the 24k-48kHz band would be even sillier than it is).

And it *is*silly, really. Mostly specsmanship pandering to 'audiophiles' who think they can hear anything above 20kHz. It's still *lossy*, which is enough to make audiophiles turn of their noses from the get go. (Not me: DTS is a very good lossy codec, I'm not outraged when a release is only offered in DTS...or AC3 for that matter)

Good enough is not good enough for everyone, ssully. I can absolutely tell the difference when I play a DTS 96/24[?] DVD~V on my Meridian 800 DVD~A player which IS clearly superior to my Oppo BDP~105 and then play the higher Res MLP 96/24 STEREO from the same album/disc on my Meridian Reference 808 player. NO contest there.

Shouldn't LOSSY codecs be retired now that there are better and higher res codecs? Time to graduate.

Good enough is not good enough for everyone, ssully. I can absolutely tell the difference when I play a DTS 96/24[?] DVD~V on my Meridian 800 DVD~A player which IS clearly superior to my Oppo BDP~105 and then play the higher Res MLP 96/24 STEREO from the same album/disc on my Meridian Reference 808 player. NO contest there.

Shouldn't LOSSY codecs be retired now that there are better and higher res codecs? Time to graduate.
so you are comparing lossy surround to lossless stereo played back on three different machines and hear a difference? Got it. ;)

AFAIK, Mr. Fast is not planning on releasing this in Surround.
The last thing he did was release is in a REMASTERED 96/24 files for downloading.

I doubt he'll change his mind.

Okay, so a few days later I managed to run off a a quick reply between my life's chores....I'd thought of doing a poll when I first posted but ran into the same roadblocks....questions too vague and varied for the forum format....so yeah....please everyone....reply to Gary. It seems Larry is asking, and is seriously considering this project, so lets give him all the opinions and let him see what is viable with the tech and the finances....

Here's the gist of my response:

1. If Larry can only do one format, which do you prefer? Please select one of the answers below.

A. I will only buy Blu-Ray, I don't mind paying a little extra for it
B. I will only buy DVD
C. Are you kidding? Synergy 5.1? I'll take either format.

C - will comment and qualify more with question 4!

2. The Synergy Catalog - if it turns out that Larry can't do his entire catalog, which titles do you consider most essential? Please list them in order of importance to you.

Start at the beginning, and move along from there…first 4 are my personal faves but really would buy all of them them

3. Which is your preferred method of packaging?

A. Gem Case
B. Digipack
C. Mini-LP Sleeve
D. Some other packaging - please describe

I suppose it depends on how some of the other answers pan out - the recent Yes and XTC mini-lp cd/br sleeves have looked great - that’d be nice, but the way the King Crimson ones have been done is super too…I’d be very happy with either so given the economics….whichever gets more of the albums done!

4. Blu-Ray and/or DVD Content - Many of today's 5.1 mix discs include other content such as various stereo mixes, needle drop, lossless, etc, etc. Please list the extras you think MUST be on the 5.1 disc.

Easy answer for me….given the music and Synergy not having been a live band…..there’s not really video content to be concerned about. Stick with audio, and if DVD is the format just be sure to use the format to its fullest potential….dolby 5.1 stream will lose sales….dts dvd will be a minimum….with no video to worry about just do a full dvd-a lossless layer with both 2.0 and 5.1

5. Package Content - Many Blu-Ray/DVD 5.1 mixes come as a two disc set with a CD. How do you feel about that?
A. No, thanks, a single disc is fine. I really don't want to pay extra for the CD.
B. Yes, please include a CD.
C. Include a CD, yes, but it should be an alternate stereo mix of the original album like the King Crimson 40th Anniversary series.
D. If there's another package content you prefer, describe it.

C. but also include the original mix on the disc(s) where space permits - then everyone is happy????

6. What have you been dying to hear in 5.1 Surround Sound? Aside from the Synergy catalog, name your favorite titles that that you can't wait to buy in 5.1 Surround Sound.

That would be a really long list! Try to name a few...

The Cure - Disintegration
VdGG - Pawn Hearts
The Stranglers - The Raven
Magazine - Real Life and Secondhand Daylight
Magma - Mekanik Destruktiv Kommandoh and Kohntarkosz
He Said (Wire's Graham Lewis)- Take Care

7. Comments? Anything you want to say on the subject that hasn't been covered above?

Loads of other options for this Synergy 5.1 idea….to toss out a couple….

- no cd’s, just surround dvd’s….pack them together in 2 or 3 sets in packages like the J Tull ones…the Synergy surround collection Vol I, II etc

- go minimal packaging and do blu-ray audio discs with 2 or 3 albums included on each, hi-res 2.0 and 5.1…and extended recording notes and booklet stuff downloaded as pdf. Have a standard cd download available (flac) for those that need or want it.

Lastly, if Larry is committed to doing it, once he decides on how to proceed….do the Pledge Music thing - make us put our $$ where our mouths are! I think a lot of us would happily pay up front if we had some commitment from the other side. Im certainly would.

Back