Larry Fast - Synergy: Electronic Realisations for Rock Orchestra in 5.1 on DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so it seems there is a little more movement on this front. Not sure if anyone here buys from Artist Shop (Gary Davis....good guy with good taste) but his newest email blast contains the following (note, I toyed with the formatting a bit to delete album cover pics and links etc):

Brilliant! Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Might it be an idea to create a Poll here at QQ in order to get some feedback from QQ's membership on everyone's thoughts here on the idea of modern Larry Fast Quad releases and then somehow get that data to Mr. Gary Davis from The Artist Shop?

Just a thought..

Might it be an idea to create a Poll here at QQ in order to get some feedback from QQ's membership on everyone's thoughts here on the idea of modern Larry Fast Quad releases and then somehow get that data to Mr. Gary Davis from The Artist Shop?

Just a thought..

Do it!!

Just a thought..

Splendid idea, Adam. By creating a QQ poll and showing Larry that there is most definitely an interest in his music would bolster chances that he'll remix as much of his back catalogue as is feasible.

Checking the surround sound discography, only Synergy's "Electronic Realizations for Rock Orchestra" exists as a QS QUAD vinyl LP.

As for format: I'm leaning towards BD~A with NO RBCDs included and if he can remix enough [and it's cost effective] I'd be inclined to include more than one album per BD~A and charge accordingly.

GREAT news, indeed!

Great idea Adam.

I'm for BD-A (even with more than one album per disc) with both 5.1 & 2.0 LPCM (nobody has to pay royalties to DTS/Dolby then I believe), a CD of the albums would be nice (for the car) but not essential to me. Could it be done via some form of Pledge campaign? as Eddie Jobson did for the UK box set via his zealots lounge. Then hopefully the majority of the money required to mix the lot into 5.1 and manufacture the discs is paid for in advance.

Oh! How do I do that? :eek:
I've never done a QQ Poll (I didn't know as a regular member I could even start one!) I'm technically useless!
I mean, I'm useless technically! :D

It may be MORE expeditious to just utilize the questionnaire and email address provided by poster doppelbock in Post #19 on this thread and just casually mention that we're members of the QQ forum which is roughly 10K strong.

This way, AB, it won't interfere with your daily workout routine of 100 push ups, 100 sit ups and 100 'jumpin' jacks':banana:. Wouldn't want you to get out of shape.:ugham:

It may be MORE expeditious to just utilize the questionnaire and email address provided by poster doppelbock in Post #19 on this thread and just casually mention that we're members of the QQ forum which is roughly 10K strong.

This way, AB, it won't interfere with your daily workout routine of 100 push ups, 100 sit ups and 100 sprints. Wouldn't want you to get out of shape.:ugham:

Out of shape? Haha.. I've never been IN shape.. :D

Well I think I have maybe sussed how to do a QQ Poll (looks like there's an option at the bottom of the post to create a Poll and then fill in the number of Poll responses, upto a max of 12.. and when you hit Submit you then fill in the actual Poll responses.. I think!) but the questionnaire as is has so many angles (what format? what packaging? which titles? blah blah..!) how the heck do I whittle all that down to a Poll?

So I'm gonna forget I even had a Poll idea.. follow Ralph's lead and email Mr. Davis the responses, while mentioning QQ..
and I'll crawl back under my stone and back to my beer :D

I did MY part and cast my preferences regarding Larry Fast's back catalogue. My preference was BD~A in a clear BD~A case and I voted for Larry's first three albums (which I'm familiar with) and any other albums he's able to remix.

I also voted against DVD or if they did decide to go that route my preference was for MLP 96/24 5.1 or LPCM 5.1 but NOT LOSSY DTS 96/24. Those casting their votes should stress that. I also stated that if it is cost effective to include a RBCD with the reissues but that I, personally, was only interested in the 5.1 remixes.

Also more than one album per BD~A would be cool becasuse of BD~A's uber capacity.

I also mentioned that I was a member of QuadraphonicQuadforum and with it's 10K membership, I believe that's important to note in casting our support for his endeavors.

And wouldn't it be nice if Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream also had similar aspirations?

I did MY part and cast my preferences regarding Larry Fast's back catalogue. My preference was BD~A in a clear BD~A case and I voted for Larry's first three albums (which I'm familiar with) and any other albums he's able to remix.

I also voted against DVD or if they did decide to go that route my preference was for MLP 96/24 5.1 or LPCM 5.1 but NOT LOSSY DTS 96/24. Those casting their votes should stress that. I also stated that if it is cost effective to include a RBCD with the reissues but that I, personally, was only interested in the 5.1 remixes.

Also more than one album per BD~A would be cool becasuse of BD~A's uber capacity.

I also mentioned that I was a member of QuadraphonicQuadforum and with it's 10K membership, I believe that's important to note in casting our support for his endeavors.

And wouldn't it be nice if Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream also had similar aspirations?

Too expensive for artists.

DTS DVD is fine with me. I appreciate the costs involved.

Allow me to interject: Why in 2016 would posters even consider a lossy format like DTS for the Synergy remasters when offered higher resolution (read: LOSSLESS) options?

I would be willing to pay more for the lossless option if it meant utmost fidelity and since Larry Fast is willing to consider a higher res option like BD~A or DVD~A, why try to dissuade him from doing otherwise?

Absolutely doesn't make sense....counterproductive at best.

Allow me to interject: Why in 2016 would posters even consider a lossy format like DTS for the Synergy remasters when offered higher resolution (read: LOSSLESS) options?

I would be willing to pay more for the lossless option if it meant utmost fidelity and since Larry Fast is willing to consider a higher res option like BD~A or DVD~A, why try to dissuade him from doing otherwise?

Absolutely doesn't make sense.
I agree. It does get frustrating for me when people say lossy is fine. But the only logical reason has to be that some people don't hear enough of a difference to matter. Unfortunately for me, I do hear a difference. I know, I know...this debate will never end.

I agree. It does get frustrating for me when people say lossy is fine. But the only logical reason has to be that some people don't hear enough of a difference to matter. Unfortunately for me, I do hear a difference. I know, I know...this debate will never end.

No, wavelength, MOST fortunately, like myself, you DO hear the difference between Lossy and Lossless.........as there exists a calculated difference between 16 and 24 bit.

I only wish more artists like Larry who are considering remixing their back catalogues into 5.1 would offer future purchasers the option of choosing which format they'd like the albums to be released in but after reading the responses by three QQ posters who were rather blasé in their answers (Oh, yeah, [LOSSY] DTS is fine), one WONDERS out loud if that's really a canny approach.

Last edited:

Absolutely doesn't make sense....counterproductive at best.

It really comes down to what the "artist " can afford .I'd rather have something by Larry Fast in surround than nothing, which has been the case for many years.This is not the first time he has been solicited and or sought feedback for surround.

$$$$$$$=Surround.:D

It really comes down to what the "artist " can afford .I'd rather have something by Larry Fast in surround than nothing, which has been the case for many years.This is not the first time he has been solicited and or sought feedback for surround.

$$$$$$$=Surround.:D

But you're also overlooking the fact that remixing albums in surround from scratch is an arduous task. If Larry does plan to do the remixing himself, a huge savings would be realized. And the VERY fact you seem to be overlooking.....He's the one who canvassed posters to express their desires of what format he should utilize and even mentioned that if he did go the BD~A/ MLP DVD~A route, it might be more costly FOR THE CONSUMER.

My point...if you're going to do something....do it RIGHT the first time and 16 bit DTS is, IMO, counterproductive to the cause....MOST especially since Mr Fast IS considering LOSSLESS options.

The question arises: Would YOU be willing to pay more for a LOSSLESS option if it meant securing a superior product? In the current climate, why would you buy a DVD when you could buy the equivalent BD~V for a few dollars more?

Back