Legendary Broadway Composer Stephen Sondheim Dead at 91

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A true genius and STAR in his own right. Broadway Legend only hints at his monumental status!

R.I.P. Stephen. Hope you're in good COMPANY!

R.facf227600a5be5700050752a0f23ec6

1930 ~ 2021, age 91

There's a framed poster in our foyer from the Esparza Company revival. It is signed by the entire broadway cast, courtesy of Broadway Cares. We caught it on Broadway a couple times.

Growing up a theater kid in NYC during the late 60’s/early 70’s, Sondheim was legend. Company, A Little Night Music, & Sweeney Todd were all revolutionary productions and still inform current Theater production. I remember seeing the original Sweeney Todd production w/Len Cariou & Angela Lansbury (courtesy of NYC’s great 2fer discount program) - magical and transporting. RIP

I just did an impulse buy of the bluray of the making of the Company original cast album at my local B&N, where the Criterion collection is still half-price.
Original Cast Album:

I have the quad Dutton SACD, and even though I had watched the documentary on the Criterion Channel, the disc has added features, including new commentary from Sondheim himself.

So thanks for the above links, doing a deep dive tonight reading through the NYT coverage and listening to his commentary on the recording session.

In glorious Dolby Digital Mono, but with three soundtracks, so the audio button on the remote cycles from the film to Sondheim or Pennebaker and Elaine Stritch commentaries.

The bluray also has some other authoring enhancements like a timeline where you can bookmark scenes or comments.

lf

Back