LG OLED - To Protection Plan or Not?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About to spring for a new LG OLED 77C1PUB 4K TV and I’m wondering if I should spend the money for a protection plan.

What say you, fellow QQers that own an LG OLED?

We've owned an LG55CX1 for three years and an LG77CX1 for eight months. We bought them when they first went on sale. One at Costco, the other over Amazon (*) from Beach Camera. Both Costco and Beach Camera added an additional year of warranty at no extra cost.

We also have an LG 34" curved and 35" curved computer monitors, they're not OLEDs though. We bought those when they went on sale at Costco.

No extended warranties on any of them.

We also have a 42" True LED (local dimming) Vizio that has been working for ten years... remote has always sucked, TV works great. Not a smart TV but good enough display.

I've only bought warranties on our washer/dryer and dishwashers. On everything else, usually it's just not worth it. Most appliances now will last 6 years before they hiccup.. and by then the warranty is long gone.

Computers.. I still have a Ubuntu PC that I put together 20 years ago... and I got laptops doing audio and video and what not that are more than 10 years old ( knock on wood )... I did have an issue with a Dell Latitude laptop years ago but that happened within the first two months so Dell replaced it.

So, yeah, if the TV is gonna croak, it will do it within the initial warranty ( it's two years )... so the extended warranty is usually money thrown away. In any event, TV technology moves so fast that if the TV croaks in four years, you might as well buy a new one -on sale!

Enjoy your TV. The OLEDs are awesome. Awesome and worth every penny. They make the competition look washed out. It's gonna make the Superbowl awesome... I got a 7.0 surround sound and they broadcast football games in surround!

OWNER notes:

Set the screen to movie color temps (white setting) and luminance settings. (Note: this is my standard first thing to do on any screen I've ever bought).

Then make sure to go into the menus and set it so the red LED front panel indicator stays on when the TV is on. Otherwise, if there is no video signal but something is connected on that input, there won't be any indication that the TV is on... because, the LEDs are OFF. A completely black screen.

And turn off the "alexa" microphone feature. Pfffft....

ONE more thing... the LG OLEDs have a "maintenance" menu. It has a user command to "restore/refresh" the LEDs by driving all of them on and off. in some sort of built in sequence... they recommend you do it every so often. I do it every six months. This is a worthwhile thing to do as refreshing the LEDs ensures that there is no retained charge in the cells. It will help keep the panel in good working condition. Doing this, plus the built in no-burn panel features will extend the working life of the panel for quite a while.

The C1s have a simpler processor but the same OLED panel. I'm not quite sure if it supports the same WebOS features that our CX1's do.

Honestly, other that WebOS doesn't offer a "Roku Channel" I'm pretty happy and constantly learning new things about the sets. Specially as they, both, have a habit of downloading new firmware every two months or so.... Last year we had a big WebOS update that really changed the channel bars... Dang it... that one drove us NUTS.

(*) Buying the 77" over from Costco last year was a fiasco. We're in SoCal.. Needless to say, Costco has a huge problem with the logistics delivery company they bought in '20. We tried to get our TV delivered twice, ordered twice, they lost the TV in the warehouse twice. I must have spent like 14 hours on the phone with Costco's concierge and their customer services up in Washington St. Eventually I bought it through Amazon, Beach Camera, cost 100 more but got it delivered and installed -that was an extra $60 from Costco. So it was a wash.

Anyhow, Three months later, after the new 77" was happily ensconced in our den, Costco's SoCal logistics attempted to deliver the TV. WTH? So, if you're in SoCal, I'd be very careful with ordering such a big item through Costco on line. Ideally you will need a large SUV because this thing would not fit in our '18 Honda Passport.

Last edited:
Once you get it set up, do yourself a favor and go to YouTube and search for 4K demo videos. Stunning. Especially the ones against a black background.

Honestly, turn it on, feed it some signal that is turned 'off' and the TV is absolutely black. If there is no signal then the TV will display a wall art.

When watching movies... check out the closing credits... usually white letters scrolling up on a black screen. Absolutely no whitewash anywhere. Truly excellent display. Stunning indeed as you point out.

Last edited:
Same. And the 2016 model didn't handle burn-in nearly as well as newer models. Don't bother.

Huh... the LG panels are pretty much the same since '16. They handle the "burn in" issue via the firmware, WebOS.

Our 55CX1 was from that crop. And its WeOS just got updated once more this month. It has both the screen saver and the mainteance menu for LED refreshing. I believe the previous one from the CX1 had a less powerful processor, but other than that the display guts are pretty much the same.

Our 77CX1, from last year, is functionally the larger brother to the 55.

BTW. I never knew this, but I really needed a 55 in our bedroom. ;-)

I paid for a TV warranty once many years ago and never used it. If you get stuck with a lemon you'll probably know in the first year and it will be covered by the manufacturer. I figure it's a very small gamble to pass on extended warranties.

By the way, I went with a 65" LG C1 OLED not long ago and love it. Even with the reduction in size, coming from a good DLP projector with a 92" screen, I much prefer the LG. The picture is spectacular.

Yep.. in the 90s we had an Infiniti Video Reference projector scaled up to 480p... to a 9 1/2 foot screen. The screen was on the far wall of the den, the projector forced us to push the couch against the kitchen island... but at the time it was definitely worth it.

I used to joke that real men measured their TVs in feet.

The LG OLED is simply in a different world. Even the DLPs driving a gray screen require lots of light control. I might look into one of them super wide angle displays, but the OLED panel is much easier to deal with. And it looks awesome.

Enjoy your TV. The OLEDs are awesome. Awesome and worth every penny. They make the competition look washed out. It's gonna make the Superbowl awesome... I got a 7.0 surround sound and they broadcast football games in surround!
If only NBC or the NFL broadcast the Super Bowl in 4K.... I checked, no go, even on the Peacock app. With all the money they make / spend on the spectacle of it all, you'd think they would have figured this out by now. Oh well, maybe next year. Just would have been sweet this year since I am a Rams fan. But it should look great nonetheless.

About to spring for a new LG OLED 77C1PUB 4K TV and I’m wondering if I should spend the money for a protection plan.

Get the Protection plan for the remote only. Think of this... Your TV is in the Living room that is temperature controlled, and not in a place like the garage where things can happen to it. Also in the lifetime that you have the TV, How many times will you touch it. The only thing that will be subject to issues where as interaction will have an effect is the Remote Control. There you have it... My 2¢.

I'm an owner of a LG 55EA8800 (paid $3,400.00) since January of 2015 and I opted for a 5 year extended warranty in May of 2015. I purchased the warranty because the product and the technology was new at the time., so thought it would prudent to buy the $275.00 policy. I never used it, the LG 55EA8800 has operated flawlessly and is still giving me a great picture. An extended warranty policy does provide a level of security. I would do it again...

I'm sure buying a lottery ticket has a much smaller chance of paying out than a warranty like this, and the other upside is that as you get into the final year or two of the extended warranty the possible "payout" for failure goes up, because if they can't source replacement parts (which is very likely 5 years on) they'll replace it with a current model with equivalent specs.

If only. I no longer have a 3D TV because they refused to repair, only replace, and there were no longer 3D sets when it came up. Likewise, I previously had a store try to replace a receiver with an HDMI issue with a vastly inferior model because they were no longer stocking the good ones.

Though I think the real issue here is that the extended warranties coming from the manufacturers are likely more honest than the cut-rate ones the stores push.

As for LG, that's the 3D set that died for me after not very long. A friend has also had issues with his and I think there was a thread here a year or so back from one or more people who had trouble (which I think was fixed) with theirs.

Same. And the 2016 model didn't handle burn-in nearly as well as newer models. Don't bother.

Probably now a moot point now since the TV from the originating thread has been purchased BUT do extended warranties cover burn in?

I have a LG curved of same vintage that has burn-in, hence the pristine picture ain’t that pristine anymore. Rendering it pretty worthless now.

This seems to be the most common need for extended warranties as it carries the greatest risk- but no one has indicated on this ‘fault’: whether inadvertently owner induced or not.

I say no. If there are no problems out of the box, it should work well for years. Companies make a lot of money off of buyer protection plans for a reason.

Probably now a moot point now since the TV from the originating thread has been purchased BUT do extended warranties cover burn in?

I have a LG curved of same vintage that has burn-in, hence the pristine picture ain’t that pristine anymore. Rendering it pretty worthless now.

This seems to be the most common need for extended warranties as it carries the greatest risk- but no one has indicated on this ‘fault’: whether inadvertently owner induced or not.

That's a PC monitor, huh?

We have two LG curved monitors, 34 and 35, but they're IPS, not OLED.

The big "TVs" (*) have built in safeguards... if it detects that the video signal is frozen, like a PC menu display or a paused signal, it brings up a screen saving built in display (wall art).

(*) At least since th CX1 models.

Two things to consider:

1. Are surges from electrical storms getting into your house on the power line, antenna cable, or cable TV?

2. Is anyone using a "static duster" or similar product to clean the dust off the TV? This can damage the internal components (especially the ones on the screen).

Back