List of Blu-ray "Best Of" Discs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LizardKing

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Does anyone know of any good "Best of" or "Greatest Hits" Blu-ray discs that are:

1. Not live concerts
2. True discrete hi-rez surround sound (of course!) - i.e. no "Jero Best of" titles please

From a quick search on Amazon none jumped out at me...!!

Examples that would be great re-issued from DVD are :

Queen - Greatest Hits I & II
R,E.M. - In View - The Best of R.E.M
Genesis - The Video Show

Anyone know of any good examples? Is there a list somewhere?

Does anyone know of any good "Best of" or "Greatest Hits" Blu-ray discs that are:

1. Not live concerts
2. True discrete hi-rez surround sound (of course!) - i.e. no "Jero Best of" titles please

From a quick search on Amazon none jumped out at me...!!

Examples that would be great re-issued from DVD are :

Queen - Greatest Hits I & II
R,E.M. - In View - The Best of R.E.M
Genesis - The Video Show

Anyone know of any good examples? Is there a list somewhere?

I wish there were more good DVD's that could be released on BD. The Carpenters DVD would be great since mixes in 5.1 exist for all the songs either in quad or 5.1 from the SACD - but other DVD's like video compilations for the Cure, ABBA, Culture Club, Duran Duran and ABC are either in plain stereo or the 5.1 mix is a simple "unwrap" and sounds awful. I so wish that there were either quad or 5.1 mixes of ABBA's albums. Like Queen, I think the 'fit' would be a natural for discrete surround - I would think Bjorn and Benny would have taken to quad like a duck to water.

I wish there were more good DVD's that could be released on BD. The Carpenters DVD would be great since mixes in 5.1 exist for all the songs either in quad or 5.1 from the SACD - but other DVD's like video compilations for the Cure, ABBA, Culture Club, Duran Duran and ABC are either in plain stereo or the 5.1 mix is a simple "unwrap" and sounds awful. I so wish that there were either quad or 5.1 mixes of ABBA's albums. Like Queen, I think the 'fit' would be a natural for discrete surround - I would think Bjorn and Benny would have taken to quad like a duck to water.

Totally agree....

Why can't we get some issued/re-issued?

Then again, do we have a list of what's available on DVD with worthwhile mixes to begin with? I am aware of the following:

Queen - Greatest Video Hits 1 and 2 (DTS 24/96, very good surround mixes)
Peter Gabriel - Play (DTS 24/96, very good surround mixes)
INXS - I'm only looking (DTS, good surround mixes)

Anything else?

Anything else?

To repeat myself once again, I recommend The Tea Party's Illuminations DVD with very good surround mixes in DTS

Then again, do we have a list of what's available on DVD with worthwhile mixes to begin with? I am aware of the following:

Anything else?

I have three favourites on DVD regarding original studio recordings with superb new 5.1 mixes. You mentioned two of them, Queen * 2 + Peter Gabriel. The third one is "the McCartney years" with shockingly good DTS 5.1, both sound- and mixwise. Given that you like the music it is a no brainer. It made me get a new appreciation for Macca, for sure. Give it a try!

There are 2 DTS DVD 5.1 mixes of albums by Super Furry Animals - Phantom Power & Rings Around The World - both excellent and discrete - pyschedelic power pop that mixes The Beatles with The Flaming Lips

Also more whimsical electronic/experimental pop from japanese artist Cornelius - 5.1 & Sensurround - again excellent surround mixes - lots of creative use of surround ala Flaming Lips - also accompanied by a very clever video for each song.

It made me get a new appreciation for Macca, for sure. Give it a try!
I second the Macca vid quality-wise - also, there are two duets with Michael Jackson on it.

Actually, I've kinda liked that Lemon Jelly 64-95 (video)album, too. Anyway, I'd love to have Björk's video collection on blu-ray!

I second the Macca vid quality-wise - also, there are two duets with Michael Jackson on it.

Actually, I've kinda liked that Lemon Jelly 64-95 (video)album, too. Anyway, I'd love to have Björk's video collection on blu-ray!

I'm going to have to go back and give a listen to that Lemon Jelly disc - IIRC, it was not particularly well mixed - at least for surround - but it has been sometime - I think it's in the basement...

Back