Quad Disc not playing correctly on Oppo BDP-105 D Blu Ray player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I play the quad version of Freehand on my Oppo 95 and it's fine BUT what I had to do was re select the Multi channel option by switching between the stereo and multi in the setup menu. You would have noticed from the my thread ( which you responded to the other day).
But as for playing slow, that is a software fault where the digital clock is reading the wrong sample rate. I've never heard of that but I would suggest reinitilising the unit to its original state...yes you will have to put your levels and distance numbers in again, but hoping the initialising will solve your problem.
have the same problem with a Dune Max: playing 4.0wav only half speed, everything else format is OK except 4.0 flac, will not play.
I'll inform you what the support says, maybe it helps you

have the same problem with a Dune Max: playing 4.0wav only half speed, everything else format is OK except 4.0 flac, will not play.
I'll inform you what the support says, maybe it helps you
It would help if you mentioned the makes and model numbers of all your gear along with how they are connected together (ie: their connection chain).

Cheers

interesting. Yes I also have Freehand and the Quad layer plays, but no sound comes out. I found the fix to the slow motion playback. On the Oppo player setting for HDMI Audio (Audio Output) that was changed from "Auto" to bit stream and then it plays at normal speed, but no sound comes out.

Here are the components to the surround set up:
Oppo BDP 105 D
Sony XR55A90J
Sonos ARC Soundbar
AV Pro Edge ARC HDMI Audio from TV to Sonos ARC Soundbar

It would help if you mentioned the makes and model numbers of all your gear along with how they are connected together (ie: their connection chain).

Cheers
ooh, thank you. It's only the Dune HD Max, going direct into one of the JVC 4VR5436 line in = TP play back.
Let's wait 2 days what support figures out. (next problem will be: where are the 4 channels???? on the 10 RCA's )
(No HDMI or something, direct from HDisc)

interesting. Yes I also have Freehand and the Quad layer plays, but no sound comes out. I found the fix to the slow motion playback. On the Oppo player setting for HDMI Audio (Audio Output) that was changed from "Auto" to bit stream and then it plays at normal speed, but no sound comes out.

Here are the components to the surround set up:
Oppo BDP 105 D
Sony XR55A90J
Sonos ARC Soundbar
AV Pro Edge ARC HDMI Audio from TV to Sonos ARC Soundbar
My suspicion is its your Sonos which doesn't know what to do with just 4 channels, it doesn't understand the channel configuration so outputs nothing.

I've looked closely into the Sonos ARC and it's not that. On the sonos app you can see what the channel input currently playing is. For example, if a 5.1 DTS disc is playng it will display that. When I play one of these quad discs it shows 4.0 channel input so it can detect and play that. It's something with the TV. As mentioned in the earlier threads I've gotten this to play perfectly fine at times so all of the components play it. For some reason there is some kind of signal being lost and i think it is in the TV.

Since your Sonos ARC Soundbar does not have any RCA jacks to connect analog audio directly to it, one thing you may want to try is to use the rear channels of the RCA multi-channel audio outputs of your Oppo to an input on your integrated amp you now are using for music playback. This may not be the perfect setup, but you will at least hear the missing channels. I read all the threads associated with your problem, you may also want to try resetting the TV and the Soundbar and start from the beginning again with settings to have all of your components start talking again to each other. Since you have the same problem with two Oppo players, go into settings and see what version of software you have on each, and then contact Oppo customer support and see if there is a newer version of software for your units. It could be due to the age of your Oppo units, it has problems playing new discs you are having issues with playing properly.

Ok both suggestions above are good and I will look into that. i think High Fidelity Mastering you touched on it in that the TV and sound bar need to start talking again. Most likely the best solution is to shut everything down, reset to factory settings and then go from there. Appreciate it all!

Your welcome. If you have to send in your Oppo players to get the latest software installed, they are very fast in their service department, at least they were for me when I had to send in my unit back in 2020. Let us all know what you come up for a fix.

A couple of months ago I had been on the phone off and on with one of Oppo's service techs and in trouble shooting the problem they concluded that the issue had nothing to do with the Oppo player. They were the one that had me set the HDMI in settings to Bitstream which solved the slow motion playback. I was very impressed with their service. I'm going to focus on rebooting all of the components and see if I can put Humpty Dumpty back together again. Will let you know what happens. thanks.

Your welcome. If you have to send in your Oppo players to get the latest software installed, they are very fast in their service department, at least they were for me when I had to send in my unit back in 2020. Let us all know what you come up for a fix.
To be clear, you sent your Oppo in for a firmware update?
If that's the case, (though it's been a long time) I've never had any problems doing the firmware updates myself on any of my Oppo's.

But I also understand some may not be comfortable with installing new firmware, so I'm not making an issue of it, just curious. :)

I looked back on what was the cause of sending in the player to Oppo and it was that the only thing that worked was the opening and closing of the disc tray. The fix was a new decoder board, which resulted in a serial number change and an update to the firmware, not the software as I had thought was what was updated.

I looked back on what was the cause of sending in the player to Oppo and it was that the only thing that worked was the opening and closing of the disc tray. The fix was a new decoder board, which resulted in a serial number change and an update to the firmware, not the software as I had thought was what was updated.
Gotcha! thanks. I've used their services once, for an older Oppo player. They had it back out the same day. Pretty fast service, those guys!

lol. Well I guess they are all pretty old at this point. The one I sent was my old DV970-HD. I actually bought it as a refurb from Oppo many years ago and was my first Oppo.
They overwrote my custom firmware, which I reinstalled after they sent it back. I don't use it anymore, it's actually boxed up as well as my older BDP-80. So along with my old Sammy I've got three old disc players boxed up and sitting in the closet. Not sure what I'll ever do with them, though I may give the BDP-80 to my Daughter since it will play Blu Ray.
Interestingly (or not) they never crippled the firmware on the 80. It will play burned SACD or SACD-R as they are popularly known.

No when I contacted the Oppo service department is was not to send back for a firmware update. It was only to assist with trouble shooting the problem and it turns out the problem was or is not the Oppo player.

No when I contacted the Oppo service department is was not to send back for a firmware update. It was only to assist with trouble shooting the problem and it turns out the problem was or is not the Oppo player.
I can’t count the number of times I thought I had issues with my Oppo, and it turned out to be something else. Just last night, I was local streaming from my NAS and the folders were all screwed up. It looked fine from my PC, BUT i checked with my Roku and my Marantz network and they also had the same screwed-up folder view. So it was my drobo NAS that was messed up, not my Oppo’s cache. I fixed it by renaming the folder in question, but I still don’t know how that got messed up.

Back