Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have yet to hear a Stones surround mix that I like, but will give this a listen. I am assuming the tracks already released in Atmos (from Goats Head Soup and Tattoo You) have the same mixes here?
In the main (street) Afraid so...
Very conservative mix...
The odd tracks have more going on...
But
I'm very pleased it's been released 😊

I have yet to hear a Stones surround mix that I like, but will give this a listen. I am assuming the tracks already released in Atmos (from Goats Head Soup and Tattoo You) have the same mixes here?
I just gave a quick listen to a handful or so of tracks not previously released in atmos. Living In A Ghost Town sounded like a real Atmos mix, but the others sounded basically like stereo upmixes.

I just gave a quick listen to a handful or so of tracks not previously released in atmos. Living In A Ghost Town sounded like a real Atmos mix, but the others sounded basically like stereo upmixes.
I’d agree, listening two songs in, hope it gets better……

Brown Sugar, Mick Taylor riffing in the right rear, sounds like sax solo in same place, but mixed low? There’s more sonic room to hear the bass lines, which is really something you never hear in Stones mixes

I think a fundamental problem is that the Stones original stereo mixes are so familiar and so iconic that it’s hard to ATMOStize them without changing the character of the song. So they go conservative.

Beat of Burden, lots of room to hear the details in Charlies drums. The guitar parts are a little more untangled. Nice

I’d agree, listening two songs in, hope it gets better……

Brown Sugar, Mick Taylor riffing in the right rear, sounds like sax solo in same place, but mixed low? There’s more sonic room to hear the bass lines, which is really something you never hear in Stones mixes

I think a fundamental problem is that the Stones original stereo mixes are so familiar and so iconic that it’s hard to ATMOStize them without changing the character of the song. So they go conservative.

Beat of Burden, lots of room to hear the details in Charlies drums. The guitar parts are a little more untangled. Nice
I remember the first time I heard Tumbling Dice, summer 1972, on the jukebox in a small border town Kansas 3.2 beer joint.

Lowering the front mains by about 10 dB reveals the Nicky Hopkins piano track RR.

Listening in 5.1.0, interested to know what, if anything, is on the ceiling for the x.x.4 Atmos crowd on this release. :hi

https://therollingstonesshop.com/pr...ogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ad_UU0522028
Ships on or around July 11, 2022

Limited to 2,500 units in the US.

Honk features the biggest hits and classic cuts from every Rolling Stones studio album from 1971 - 2016's Blue & Lonesome. The 4LP edition is a limited, heavy-weight colored vinyl set (purple, red, orange, yellow) housed in a slip case including 12’’ x 12’’ artwork insert. Features bonus live vinyl.

Tracklist:
LP 1:

1. Start Me Up - Tattoo You, 1981
2. Brown Sugar - Sticky Fingers, 1971
3. Rocks Off - Exile on Main St., 1972
4. Miss You - Some Girls, 1978
5. Tumbling Dice - Exile on Main St., 1972
6. Just Your Fool - Blue & Lonesome, 2016
1. Wild Horses - Sticky Fingers, 1971
2. Fool To Cry - Black and Blue, 1976
3. Angie - Goats Head Soup, 1973
4. Beast of Burden - Some Girls, 1978
5. Hot Stuff - Black and Blue, 1976
6. Its Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It) - It's Only Rock 'n Roll, 1974
LP 2:
1. Rock And A Hard Place - Steel Wheels, 1989
2. Doom And Gloom - Grrr…, 2012
3. Love Is Strong - Voodoo Lounge, 1994
4. Mixed Emotions - Steel Wheels, 1989
5. Don't Stop - Forty Licks, 2002
6. Ride 'Em on Down - Blue & Lonesome, 2016
1. Bitch - Sticky Fingers, 1971
2. Harlem Shuffle - Dirty Work, 1986
3. Hate to See You Go - Blue & Lonesome, 2016
4. Rough Justice - A Bigger Bang, 2005
5. Happy - Exile on Main St., 1972
6. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) - Goats Head Soup, 1973
7. One More Shot - Grrr…, 2012
LP 3:
1. Respectable - Some Girls, 1978
2. You Got Me Rocking - Voodoo Lounge, 1994
3. Rain Fall Down - A Bigger Bang, 2005
4. Dancing With Mr. D - Goats Head Soup, 1973
5. Undercover (of the Night) - Undercover, 1983
6. Emotional Rescue - Emotional Rescue, 1980
1. Waiting On A Friend - Tattoo You, 1981
2. Saint Of Me - Bridges To Babylon , 1997
3. Out of Control - Bridges To Babylon , 1997
4. Streets of Love - A Bigger Bang, 2005
5. Out Of Tears - Voodoo Lounge, 1994

LP 4:
1. Get Off My Cloud (Live at Principality Stadium 06/15/18), Unreleased
2. Dancing With Mr. D (Live at Gelredome, Arnhem 10.15.17), Unreleased
3. Beast of Burden (Live at Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas 06.27.15) [feat Ed Sheeran], Unreleased
4. She's A Rainbow (Live at U Arena, Paris 10.25.17), Unreleased
5. Wild Horses (Live at London Stadium 05/22/18) [feat Florence Welch], Unreleased

6. Let's Spend The Night Together (Live at Manchester Evening News Arena 05.06.18), Unreleased
7. Dead Flowers (Live at Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia 06.18.13) [feat Brad Paisley], Unreleased
8. Shine A Light (Live at ArenA, Amsterdam 09.30.17), Unreleased
9. Under My Thumb (Live at London Stadium 05.22.18), Unreleased
10. Bitch (Live at The Honda Center, Anaheim 05.18.13) [feat Dave Grohl], Unreleased

I remember the first time I heard Tumbling Dice, summer 1972, on the jukebox in a small border town Kansas 3.2 beer joint.

Lowering the front mains by about 10 dB reveals the Nicky Hopkins piano track RR.

Listening in 5.1.0, interested to know what, if anything, is on the ceiling for the x.x.4 Atmos crowd on this release. :hi
Not a huge amount going on above me bonce.
Not to say there isn't anything, it's just barely audible, at times.

Not yet available in the U.S.
1657307714678.png

Great album. The Atmos mix is true to the original mix in a good way. Some improvements made, but you can still tell it's from the late 80's (without getting annoyed). I think it sounds rather good. Tastefull use of heights and backs. According to classicpopmag.com the original producer Martyn Ware did the Atmos mix. Will enjoy this over the coming years. :)

I just skimmed through some of the Stones compilation, the stuff from Sticky Fingers sounds like it was run through Penteo or a similar process - the side surround speakers have whatever is panned hard left & right (such as the twin acoustic guitars in "Wild Horses") at about 75% volume, along with some remnant of the drums/bass/vocal upfront. On the other hand, "Miss You" has an isolated keyboard part in the sides. I'm not hearing much activity in the rear surrounds or the heights, it's mostly just the sides.

Also - "Heartbreaker" is definitely not the same as the Atmos mix found on Goats Head Soup, the backing vocals are now in the front instead of the rears :(

Back