Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Didn't know about this one. Mix is certainly discrete, but the drums really seem to have no life in them. (They have a bit more umph in the original stereo mix). Probably doesn't help that the drums are always mixed to the rear. This one is actually so rear heavy that there are times where I don't notice the fronts!

I am listening in 5.1 (not Atmos) so maybe that has something to do with it, but kind of a weird mix.

Didn't know about this one. Mix is certainly discrete, but the drums really seem to have no life in them. (They have a bit more umph in the original stereo mix). Probably doesn't help that the drums are always mixed to the rear. This one is actually so rear heavy that there are times where I don't notice the fronts!

I am listening in 5.1 (not Atmos) so maybe that has something to do with it, but kind of a weird mix.

Perhaps focussed more on how it sounds in headphones?

I just checked out "I Want You To Want Me" in 7.1.4 - most of the drum sound is in the front height speakers and side surround speakers, though there's a good bit of dry snare in the fronts too. Rear surrounds are devoted almost entirely to finger snaps(?). No sound at all in the center or sub channels. Definitely an unusual mix, I suspect it was originally created for 360RA and later ported over to Atmos.

Very cool! I just noticed the Dream Police single in 360RA the other day (also a couple of live tracks from Budokan) so perhaps they're available in Atmos on Apple Music as well. I don't think those tracks are recent releases... I'm just very late to the Atmos/360 party and still stumbling upon things you guys have known about for years!

I put together a playlist of the 10,000 Maniacs and Natalie Merchant atmos:
... not sure why it shows up blank...
Tidal folks: any info on the mixer?

Last edited:
Back