Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like this is only a 4.0 base layer. Anyone hear anything in the heights? Maybe should be marked as a Dolby audio instead of Dolby atmos?
Yeah but it still sounds good in a rock concert kind of way. In my opinion this is the best way to mix simple rock music like this.

A bad Atmos mix can you put you off listening to it but a great mix really sucks you in and wanting more so what would be the top 5 full albums in Atmos on Apple Music.
I just finished listening to Alicia Keys Songs In A Minor and while not my preferred genre the Atmos mix was outstanding and could easily to listen to full album.

A bad Atmos mix can you put you off listening to it but a great mix really sucks you in and wanting more so what would be the top 5 full albums in Atmos on Apple Music.
I just finished listening to Alicia Keys Songs In A Minor and while not my preferred genre the Atmos mix was outstanding and could easily to listen to full album.
I think there are many good Atmos mixes on Apple Music. Here's some I've been playing a lot lately.
Lynyrd Skynyrd "All Time Greatest Hits", Grateful Dead "American Beauty", Five Finger Death Punch "AfterLife", Tom Petty "Wallflowers", Tori Amos "Ocean to Ocean", Keith Urban "Defying Gravity". :cool:

Last edited:
I've been thinking that in some cases perhaps the compromises being made to accommodate the Apple Spatial Audio decoder are responsible for some of the tamer/disappointing mixes. IE I've seen comments from engineers saying things they've tried that sound good on surround speakers don't end up working well when played back using the Apple Spatial Audio decoder.

So minimally it may be more work to have a cool discrete mix that sounds good on both and some may not be willing to put in that extra work.

If true it's sad that stereo heaphones are causing compromises in surround mixes never really designed for them.

I've been thinking that in some cases perhaps the compromises being made to accommodate the Apple Spatial Audio decoder are responsible for some of the tamer/disappointing mixes. IE I've seen comments from engineers saying things they've tried that sound good on surround speakers don't end up working well when played back using the Apple Spatial Audio decoder.

So minimally it may be more work to have a cool discrete mix that sounds good on both and some may not be willing to put in that extra work.

If true it's sad that stereo heaphones are causing compromises in surround mixes never really designed for them.
Can you show examples of engineers commenting? Just curious, I've seen very little other than slight promo.

I was looking for albums in Atmos in this thread as Apple does not show them all in the spatial audio category, and there is no way to search for them.

BUT, many of the albums I found here, are not in Dolby Atmos.... ??

Can we all please post only Dolby Atmos albums in this thread?

I was looking for albums in Atmos in this thread as Apple does not show them all in the spatial audio category, and there is no way to search for them.

BUT, many of the albums I found here, are not in Dolby Atmos.... ??

Can we all please post only Dolby Atmos albums in this thread?
I believe many of the posts include a whole album, but with only perhaps one or two songs currently in Atmos. For me to know which song, I have to review all on my A4KTV, as the online (computer ) app won't show you. It's been a big Pet Peeve of mine to this day.

Hi, first post for me here.

I just wanted to thank you all for posting your findings. I went over this thread for the last week and found some great (and also awful) Atmos tracks/albums.

One track that really stood out for me was Enigma - Sadeness (Part 1)
A perfect Atmos mix. All the instruments and vocals are exactly where they should be. Everything blends seamlessly.

I also wanted to give a recommendation to one of my favorite albums of last year and also one of the best Atmos albums that I've heard on Apple Music- Gaspard Augé: Escapades
You may know Gaspard as half of the french electronic duo "Justice".
His debut album "Escapades" is an homage to '70s-'80s french electronic tv/movie soundtracks.

Unlike the more upbeat and dance-oriented music of Justice, "Escapades" offers a more experimental vibe. It's a synth-drenched soundtrack from a french film noir that you have never seen but nonetheless sounds so familiar. At least that's how it sounds to my ears.

There are still some banger Justice-Esque tracks on the album, like "Force Majeure" that UK folks will immediately recognize as it's been BBC's intro for the last Euro tournament.

The Atmos mix is very aggressive when utilizing the surrounds and heights. Maybe too much, but that's why we're here, no? ;)

If you're going to hear only one track from the album, go for "Pentacle" and wait until you get to the middle of the track...It's a real mind*uck :cool:

Last edited:
Hi, first post for me here.

I just wanted to thank you all for posting your findings. I went over this thread for the last week and found some great (and also awful) Atmos tracks/albums.

One track that really stood out for me was Enigma - Sadeness (Part 1)
A perfect Atmos mix. All the instruments and vocals are exactly where they should be. Everything blends seamlessly.

I also wanted to give a recommendation to one of my favorite albums of last year and also one of the best Atmos albums that I've heard on Apple Music- Gaspard Augé: Escapades
You may know Gaspard as half of the french electronic duo "Justice".
His debut album "Escapades" is an homage to '70s-'80s french electronic tv/movie soundtracks.

Unlike the more upbeat and dance-oriented music of Justice, "Escapades" offers a more experimental vibe. It's a synth-drenched soundtrack from a french film noir that you have never seen but nonetheless sounds so familiar. At least that's how it sounds to my ears.

There are still some banger Justice-Esque tracks on the album, like "Force Majeure" that UK folks will immediately recognize as it's been BBC's intro for the last Euro tournament.

The Atmos mix is very aggressive when utilizing the surrounds and heights. Maybe too much, but that's why we're here, no? ;)

If you're going to hear only one track from the album, go for "Pentacle" and wait until you get to the middle of the track...It's a real mind*uck :cool:

Joined in 2014, first post in 2022 - can't wait for the followup in 2030! 😂

I completely agree with your post, Escapades is one of the very best streaming-only Atmos mixes I've heard, and the music is as exciting as Air's 10000Hz Legend is boring. I'd love to have a lossless/physical release of this album (and more of this kind of music in surround in general) given how good the lossy version sounds.

I was excited about this album from the moment I heard the teaser for Force Majeure, which reminds me strongly of some of the music circa 1980-1982 from Genesis and Rush, in stereo on YouTube, and the Atmos mixes of both the song and the rest of the album don't disappoint.

Joined in 2014, first post in 2022 - can't wait for the followup in 2030! 😂

I completely agree with your post, Escapades is one of the very best streaming-only Atmos mixes I've heard, and the music is as exciting as Air's 10000Hz Legend is boring. I'd love to have a lossless/physical release of this album (and more of this kind of music in surround in general) given how good the lossy version sounds.

I was excited about this album from the moment I heard the teaser for Force Majeure, which reminds me strongly of some of the music circa 1980-1982 from Genesis and Rush, in stereo on YouTube, and the Atmos mixes of both the song and the rest of the album don't disappoint.
Hey! I said, "first post here" (In this thread). Not ever 🙃

But yeah. I'm mainly a passive reader. Enjoying your posts.

I'm rocking a 7.2.4 system with an atv4k.
Still waiting for apple to fix that handshake issue where the music starts 2-3 seconds into the song. Very annoying.

I really love the style of the album, and as you said - I also would buy a physical BD or something similar in a heartbeat.

M83's last album is also a blast to the past in terms of french electro-pop retro and I really hope that it will get an Atmos treatment soon.

Back