Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is synthesized-studio-reverb model nice way of saying Upmix? :LB
No--it's a technique pioneered by Dave Rideau and Steve Genewick for Kind of Blue (and, as far as I can tell, routinely used on many classic Blue Note recordings), that involves playing back the stereo or three-channel masters over speakers, live in a studio, recording that playback with mics in the back of the room, and applying digital reverbs meant to replicate the sound of the studio where the album was originally recorded. It gives a sense of spaciousness to the recording, but obviously it results in a different kind of "immersion" than an object-based Atmos mix.

Avatar 2 soundtrack. Contains a song from The Weeknd. Speaking of the weekend, I just nabbed tickets for a 9:10 am (so fewer people will be there) High-Frame-Rate 3D and Atmos* showing on Saturday. I know the reviews are… middling… but I still wanna see it.

*Fandango does not mention if this theater is Atmos or not, unlike other places which do mention if they are Atmos or DTS:X equipped. I did call them and they said it’s “probably” Atmos

Hopefully they started from scratch with these!
I threw some of these into Audacity to listen to what was isolated in centre and rears. I haven't had a chance to listen to everything yet but I can confirm it's definitely a new multi-channel mix for So Lonely (compared to the DD version in the videos collection) and a different Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic mix with cool near-isolation of the piano parts in the rears. I thought the previous multi channel mix was messier. Re Every Breath You Take, it is also new, but I thought the SACD mix was superior to the new one and the previous available DD and DTS mixes. It's great to have all these mixes to choose from!

Robert Glasper Experiment - Black Radio
I was looking forward to this and the mix seems to be good, however it's plagued by a droning sound throughout the whole album on Apple. Is it the same on Tidal?
https://tidal.com/album/258404117
I finally found the right guy to talk to. The album has been fixed and is streaming in Atmos, without the time code in the center channel.

I finally found the right guy to talk to. The album has been fixed and is streaming in Atmos, without the time code in the center channel.
And it is so much better of course as a result.

This cover of the 90’s anthem had me captivated:

It starts with the most peculiar pulsing beats, and is initially quite front heavy but after a minute or so unravels like a christmas present to something quite smooth and airy by the end.

It is like Kurt Cobain joined Daft Punk.

Oh, and I don’t agree that it’s an upmix.

I threw some of these into Audacity to listen to what was isolated in centre and rears. I haven't had a chance to listen to everything yet but I can confirm it's definitely a new multi-channel mix for So Lonely (compared to the DD version in the videos collection) and a different Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic mix with cool near-isolation of the piano parts in the rears. I thought the previous multi channel mix was messier. Re Every Breath You Take, it is also new, but I thought the SACD mix was superior to the new one and the previous available DD and DTS mixes. It's great to have all these mixes to choose from!
Tidal lets one download the songs to throw into Audacity?

I was never a fan of any of the previous Police multichannel mixes. After first go of this new mix, I wasn't all that impressed, compared to some of the recent releases. Certainly isn't terrible but could be better.

Back