Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oy. I'm with @Cheezmo and @fredblue on this one: for anyone who wants to easily check whether an album or track is labeled Atmos, this is a big step backward. Hoping it's not too late to disable Auto-Update...

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/apple-tv4k-tips-tricks-and-traps.31518/post-664515
At this point I’m hoping that Primephonic, which Apple bought a while back (and claimed would be re-launched *this year* as Apple Music Classic… time’s running out…) helps give Apple Music a shot in the arm. They claim they bought it to overhaul Apple Music’s tagging system/metadata… but it’s been a year and a half with little to no changes…

At this point I’m hoping that Primephonic, which Apple bought a while back (and claimed would be re-launched *this year* as Apple Music Classic… time’s running out…) helps give Apple Music a shot in the arm. They claim they bought it to overhaul Apple Music’s tagging system/metadata… but it’s been a year and a half with little to no changes…
Hear, hear. On the upside (for me, anyway): I went into my ATV4K settings to turn off Auto-Update, only to find out that I'm already on tvOS 16.2 (20K5348d). But my display screen still looks familiar: on an album page, the Dolby Atmos name & icon are right where they used to be (i.e., right under the artist name & album title), and when an album is playing and I hit the "Menu" button, the Atmos indicator for a given track displays in the lower right-hand corner.

And I'm happily listening to The Temptations croon Christmas songs.

Edit: sadly, the ATV is now nagging me to install the latest update, and if history is any guide, those nags will only get more persistent as time goes on.

And perhaps the biggest feature *and* simultaneously the biggest bummer: Apple Music Sing has launched… for select devices. All devices now get an update to lyrics where most (but not all) lyrics now highlight as they are being sung, in Karaoke style, and all iPhones from iPhone 11 onwards, and only the 2022 model Apple TV 4K will allow you to isolate and duck the volume of vocals for a proper karaoke mode. It’s frustrating that they are limiting this feature to the otherwise inessential Apple TV updated model that came out this year, *especially* when my phone, which is less powerful than the new Apple TV can do it just fine…
I'd be willing to bet, however, that your phone is more powerful than the old ATV.

My understanding is that the new feature requires at least the A13. The 2021 ATV has an A12, which is several generations old (it was introduced with the iPhone XS and XS Max, which don't support Apple Music Sing either).

these Neil Diamond Atmos tracks have some brilliant mixes and some have such active panning they're almost Quad-like! i take my hat off to the mixer! bravo! 💘😍
Yeah defo, what a fantastic collection of songs and a brilliant mix to boot! :cool: Listening to the Tidal version as that has all the listed tracks, whereas for some reason Apple Music UK (as reported) has a few blanked out?! I’m sure they are available but on different albums/listings… Not quite sure what Apple Music is doing? Can be so infuriating sometimes…

Some of the tracks like 'I'm A Believer' - you can tell there wasn't too much to play with in term of multitracks - but at least they attempted to spread things out...

Anyway Neil Diamond GH sounds like diamonds! 💎 Will always have a soft spot for the Hugo Montenegro quad but this kinda puts it on the subs bench?
A late sneak into the the top 10+ of the year? Most probably for me...

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned but it's been growing on me since it was released in October. I'd never heard of The Big Moon but have been checking out random new releases and noticed they were on Fiction Records (which is home to The Cure so I figured it's a good sign). It's hard for me to categorize a band's sound but I'd think fans of the Wet Leg album would enjoy this. It's not a demo worthy Atmos mix but it's got catchy tunes and a nice immersive mix with some more discreet stuff happening at the right moments. Careful though, it's got a cover that would give Tipper Gore an aneurysm.

Not sure this was ever mentioned as available on Apple. Great Atmos mixes...

I have a great affection to this album, Wolf from Matt Darey, because it was my first good Atmos listening (discrete, vocals in heights, etc.) when he had the TrueHD Atmos MKV downloading version available in his web in 2018. I could also buy/download another "Restrospective Atmos" album from him before they decided to remove the hi-res downloads in favor to streaming.

I started to grow on Atmos Music just after this Wolf album in 2019. BTW, "One More Night in Stars" is one of the preferred Atmos mixes for him, as Matt Darey told me by mail, when comenting with him about how it sounds on my room.

Apple Music Classical is coming with the next iOS update. Developer beta was seeded yesterday.

Apple Music Classical is coming with the next iOS update. Developer beta was seeded yesterday.
Do we know any other details yet? Will it be an add-on service for an additional fee? Different interface with more info & better searching? Higher (i.e., higher than 768kbps) streaming rate for Atmos?

Verve is busy these days. They also seem to be relying more and more on the synthesized-studio-reverb model for their catalog titles: elements of the fronts lifted into the front heights at lower volume, reverb in the rears and (barely) rear heights. Great album regardless.
is synthesized-studio-reverb model nice way of saying Upmix? :LB

Yeah defo, what a fantastic collection of songs and a brilliant mix to boot! :cool: Listening to the Tidal version as that has all the listed tracks, whereas for some reason Apple Music UK (as reported) has a few blanked out?! I’m sure they are available but on different albums/listings… Not quite sure what Apple Music is doing? Can be so infuriating sometimes…

Some of the tracks like 'I'm A Believer' - you can tell there wasn't too much to play with in term of multitracks - but at least they attempted to spread things out...

Anyway Neil Diamond GH sounds like diamonds! 💎 Will always have a soft spot for the Hugo Montenegro quad but this kinda puts it on the subs bench?
A late sneak into the the top 10+ of the year? Most probably for me...
0 usage of height channels is a bummer 🤒

Back