Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I hope this one has a good mix.....
sighing a huge sigh of relief! 😅🤩

while not all tracks from that compilation are available here in the UK, i'm happy to say the 16 that are available are mixed in real Atmos with some tasty lead vocals in the Centre and some cool Height channel info on several tracks to boot! yeay! 🥰

edit: i'll just add, when i initially went to try these tracks on the Apple TV, i was kinda underwhelmed (God knows what's happening to the signal when i play Atmos content that way, as my AVR only says "Atmos" incoming, rather than give any individual channel info/designation 🙄 ).

moving to the Computer, which is definitely outputting 7.1.4 (hitting Info on the AVR show's all 12 Channels In and all 12 Channels Out! Bingo! 👌💘 ) the mixes suddenly snapped into focus.

brilliant but slightly unnerving as to exactly what the ATV is doing because imho it is doing something weird steering stuff to the wrong speakers but never mind.. we got there in the end! 😅

Last edited:
somebody's been busy at Capitol Records giving Neil Diamond & Grace Jones some shiny Atmos treatment! 🤩 i'm guessing Steve Genewick? does it give any credit on Tidal, himey?

edit: "I'm A Believer" while quite Surround-y appears to have diddly squat going on in the Heights! 😱🤣

interestingly, several tracks are in Atmos on this Neil Diamond compilation that aren't available on that other compilation

..and "Solitary Man" and "Cherry, Cherry" have no Height content in them either 👀

Last edited:
somebody's been busy at Capitol Records giving Neil Diamond & Grace Jones some shiny Atmos treatment! 🤩 i'm guessing Steve Genewick? does it give any credit on Tidal, himey?

edit: "I'm A Believer" while quite Surround-y appears to have diddly squat going on in the Heights! 😱🤣

interestingly, several tracks are in Atmos on this Neil Diamond compilation that aren't available on that other compilation

..and "Solitary Man" and "Cherry, Cherry" have no Height content in them either 👀
David Frangioni Immersive Mix Engineer on the Grace Jones. Bernie Becker on the Neil Diamond.
Dennis "ROC.am" Jones on the Sinatra.

David Frangioni Immersive Mix Engineer on the Grace Jones. Bernie Becker on the Neil Diamond.
nice one! thanks for the info. 💝

i guess that'd be the one and the same David Frangioni last seen round these parts doing great 5.1's for DTS Entertainment in the early noughties! 🤩

00BF0585-7600-4BB1-91C6-2A1AD9274689.jpeg

is Bernie Becker a familiar name at QQ? somehow he's not in the QQ HOF/Database.. 👀

Dennis "Roc.am" Jones, you say.. wowzers!! 🤯😎😅

Last edited:
What a great mix! Interesting place in her catalog to start. I didn't know this album, but it's a good 'un. And now for the classics: Warm Leatherette, Nightclubbing, and Living My Life?
as much as i'd absolutely adore for that to happen, feels maybe it'd take the rest of the catalogue to migrate to Capitol for that to become a reality, i dunno? is this her only album on Capitol at this point? 🤔

as much as i'd absolutely adore for that to happen, feels maybe it'd take the rest of the catalogue to migrate to Capitol for that to become a reality, i dunno? is this her only album on Capitol at this point? 🤔
Ah--hadn't thought of that. Still, Island is owned by UMG at this point, no? Or does it vary by country/artist/etc.?

This might be old, but I just saw it listed for the first time yesterday for Apple Music.

I loved this whole album when it came out and I love it just as much today.

As for Atmos... nothing to get too excited about. And it’s just the one song, not the whole album.

It also gave me a flashback to when Rupert and Merv Griffin sang it on Merv’s talk show. Which ranks highly among some of the most useless information I have floating around in my head.

The Pina Colada Song

One of those no music, but other news posts:

There is a new Apple TV (and Homepod, and iOS, and Mac, and and and) update out this week.

In terms of Atmos, no new changes have been made, but the play back screen for Apple TV has been totally changed. The Dolby Atmos badge on the full screen lyrics view is now hidden under a tab called “Info”, which shows you the song name, artist and album name, run time… and finally if it’s Dolby Atmos or Audio.

Dolby Audio tags no longer show up on the album page on Apple TV (but curiously do on iOS).

And perhaps the biggest feature *and* simultaneously the biggest bummer: Apple Music Sing has launched… for select devices. All devices now get an update to lyrics where most (but not all) lyrics now highlight as they are being sung, in Karaoke style, and all iPhones from iPhone 11 onwards, and only the 2022 model Apple TV 4K will allow you to isolate and duck the volume of vocals for a proper karaoke mode. It’s frustrating that they are limiting this feature to the otherwise inessential Apple TV updated model that came out this year, *especially* when my phone, which is less powerful than the new Apple TV can do it just fine…

All songs can theoretically work with the new vocal ducking feature, but certain songs were tailored to be in the “first batch” and work best. It seems they are using some sort of AI to do the isolation.

One of those no music, but other news posts:

There is a new Apple TV (and Homepod, and iOS, and Mac, and and and) update out this week.

In terms of Atmos, no new changes have been made, but the play back screen for Apple TV has been totally changed. The Dolby Atmos badge on the full screen lyrics view is now hidden under a tab called “Info”, which shows you the song name, artist and album name, run time… and finally if it’s Dolby Atmos or Audio.

Dolby Audio tags no longer show up on the album page on Apple TV (but curiously do on iOS).

And perhaps the biggest feature *and* simultaneously the biggest bummer: Apple Music Sing has launched… for select devices. All devices now get an update to lyrics where most (but not all) lyrics now highlight as they are being sung, in Karaoke style, and all iPhones from iPhone 11 onwards, and only the 2022 model Apple TV 4K will allow you to isolate and duck the volume of vocals for a proper karaoke mode. It’s frustrating that they are limiting this feature to the otherwise inessential Apple TV updated model that came out this year, *especially* when my phone, which is less powerful than the new Apple TV can do it just fine…

All songs can theoretically work with the new vocal ducking feature, but certain songs were tailored to be in the “first batch” and work best. It seems they are using some sort of AI to do the isolation.
Oy. I'm with @Cheezmo and @fredblue on this one: for anyone who wants to easily check whether an album or track is labeled Atmos, this is a big step backward. Hoping it's not too late to disable Auto-Update...

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/apple-tv4k-tips-tricks-and-traps.31518/post-664515

Oy. I'm with @Cheezmo and @fredblue on this one: for anyone who wants to easily check whether an album or track is labeled Atmos, this is a big step backward. Hoping it's not too late to disable Auto-Update...

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/apple-tv4k-tips-tricks-and-traps.31518/post-664515
OK then, so what's the link to complain to Apple about this? Hopefully, enough squeak to the wheel and they'll try something different :unsure:

I've left Auto-Update off just for stuff like this.

Back