Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So...I've been REALLY getting into electronic stuff that I'd never heard before (shame on me) but that Atmos has turned me onto in a BIG immersive way. I'm talking great Atmos mixes from Booka Shade, Air and some snippets of more ambient electronica (always been into Eno so that's not a new one) Does anyone have addtl Atmos recommendations in this genre? I tend to go buy the TrueHD (bluray) once I'm hooked, but Apple Music is so great for discovering and demoing. I'm all ears. :)
I agree. I love Apple Music primarily because of exposure to music I likely would have never heard on my own. Between Apple Music and this thread, my musical world has expanded quite a bit.

One that I really liked is Max Cooper’s Unspoken Words. In particular, the song Exotic Contents made it onto the Surround playlist I made.

Haven’t listened to this one since upgrading my system, so I think this is getting played next.

So...I've been REALLY getting into electronic stuff that I'd never heard before (shame on me) but that Atmos has turned me onto in a BIG immersive way. I'm talking great Atmos mixes from Booka Shade, Air and some snippets of more ambient electronica (always been into Eno so that's not a new one) Does anyone have addtl Atmos recommendations in this genre? I tend to go buy the TrueHD (bluray) once I'm hooked, but Apple Music is so great for discovering and demoing. I'm all ears. :)
Don't know if this will ever get a physical release, but I really like this one. It has it labeled as "POP" but seems equally electronic to me.

Here's one from a while back - it's been awhile since I listened to it so can't remember how good the mix is.

IF it was done well, I would recommend Selected Ambient Works 85-92 by Aphex Twin, but that’s tragically a fake mix, so don’t listen to that in Atmos, but stereo instead (worth noting: the sound quality is famously poor, no matter how you listen to it. If the title is to be believed, at least one track was made when he was 13, and the whole album was sourced from cassette tape)
But here are some other good ambient electronica Atmos albums:
(first bonus track lossless only, but that’s the only non Atmos track)
(hit send too early, oops)
Combined with the other albums people sent those are what I know of in terms of ambient electronica. I have a longer list of purely ambient albums, if desired

Not wanting to start a conspiracy theory but I don’t recall so few Atmos releases last Christmas period. There’s been very few new releases for 4 weeks now. Has the Atmos bubble burst or just rapidly deflating?
Well I know Apple has in the past maintained an “out of office” policy at least for App submission around December 18th or so, and they return sometime in the next year. It’s usually requested of developers to submit new versions of their apps before a certain deadline. I assume parts of Apple Music are set up to be somewhat automated as the music industry never sleeps, but since Apple Music promotes itself as “human curated”, it would not surprise me if they asked for a pause on new submissions until the various curation teams returned from break.

I agree. I love Apple Music primarily because of exposure to music I likely would have never heard on my own. Between Apple Music and this thread, my musical world has expanded quite a bit.

One that I really liked is Max Cooper’s Unspoken Words. In particular, the song Exotic Contents made it onto the Surround playlist I made.

Haven’t listened to this one since upgrading my system, so I think this is getting played next.

Really glad to see some love for this album! It's right up there with my other favorite surround electronic release (the other being This Binary Universe). Impossibly beautiful electronics with an amazing atmos mix. This album is actually available on pure audio blu ray if you're interested which also includes some cool visuals to go with the music.
But this one *is* Atmos.
Edit: oh, wow, check this one out folks. Great mix
Another one of my favorites! This album was one of my favorites to come out back in 2020 and has a great atmos mix to go with it.

Really cool that surround has helped you get into electronic music! That's more what I'm into. One of my absolute favorites to come out in Atmos recently that I haven't heard much talk about is Jon Hopkins' new album Music for Psychedelic Therapy. It is very ambient but truly takes you on a journey with beautiful textures and songwriting. While not in immersive audio, Jon Hopkins released the album Immunity back in 2014 which is quite possibly my favorite album of all time, so if you are into more house/techno oriented stuff, definitely check that one out.
Apple Music link:

Not wanting to start a conspiracy theory but I don’t recall so few Atmos releases last Christmas period. There’s been very few new releases for 4 weeks now. Has the Atmos bubble burst or just rapidly deflating?

As memory serves, Christmas is always a lull for the music industry. My guess is Holiday time is not ideal to release music, as folks are paying attention to other things. Looks like Apple just released 20+ albums. We'll see what Tidal does here in a few hours!

This is pretty interesting. I was never huge fans of them, but the musicianship is top notch and Atmos is perfect for this genre. Very active mix. Progressive instrumental rock.
For a second I confused the band name with Animal Collective, a group I've been meaning to check out ever since Amanda Petrusich wrote about them in The New Yorker last year. I bet their stuff could sound good in Atmos, too...
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/02/07/animal-collective-captures-the-strange-passage-of-time

Last edited:
Back