Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried to read as much of this thread and others as possible, but is there any "best" way to search for Atmos mixes on Tidal? Between the android app, browser web player, and Windows app, I previously was having the best luck with the android app, searching by artist and then scrolling through their albums ("view all" to find an Atmos label. Even that doesn't seem to display all the Atmos albums now (The Police, Maroon 5, for example) and it's basically link searching on here.

Thats right.

@kamranv told us that he used the Atmos posibilities of Tidal to release in streaming the Quad mix. No other way to release in streaming multichannel at that time.

Then someone said in this thread that what a waste of Atmos channels.... only 4 of them are used... and then some discussion :ROFLMAO:
Atmos release of Suzanne Ciani - LIVE Quadraphonic

I tested a lot this quad mix using upmixers to extend the Quad to more speakers and the result was worse. The quick progression of the swirling sounds around the room are best experienced with just Quad.
I have released a few albums in quad, I do modular synthesizers and the format there has been quad for a long time. When Dolby Atmos came in on popular services like Apple Music that's was the way to release it easily to all. I shared notes with @kamranv and I'm still learning.

However, you need to make sure you only use 4 objects placed in the corners of the virtual room, as your output is already made for that type of setup. There are already virtual objects moving between these 4 sources.

I made an Apple playlist of modular synthesizers in quadraphonic released at Dolby Atmos (not many releases yet, if you find more send it my way)

I explain how to do quadraphonics on a eurorack modular synthesizer
https://www.peachymango.org/euroquad

I've tried to read as much of this thread and others as possible, but is there any "best" way to search for Atmos mixes on Tidal? Between the android app, browser web player, and Windows app, I previously was having the best luck with the android app, searching by artist and then scrolling through their albums ("view all" to find an Atmos label. Even that doesn't seem to display all the Atmos albums now (The Police, Maroon 5, for example) and it's basically link searching on here.
I use the web app and under search, enter "Atmos", then you can "go to genre". They have Atmos play lists including "just released", "new arrivals", "new albums", etc. Sometimes a single song shows added and you can click on it to see if they have the whole albums in Atmos. It gets updated about 1x per week I've noticed. I still see some titles listed here that only ever appear in Apple Music. If you like rap, R and B and new pop music, Tidal always seems to get it right away.

The best way to search is Tidal-dl GUI. The download functionality does not work for Atmos, but searching works great. Atmos albums are identified with the "A" flag. Once you find an album in Atmos though, the search annoyance continues back on the Tidal app to find out which 5 versions of the album is actually the Atmos version, but sounds like you're already familiar with that annoyance.

https://github.com/yaronzz/Tidal-Media-Downloader-PRO/releases/tag/1.2.1.10

Franck,
Good stuff. Question: so why not just release in 4.0 or 5.1 in Apple Music (like PF stuff, Best of Youngbloods, etc). Why Atmos if "all" you want to do is stream in quad? No dog in this fight, just asking.

Oh dang! Will give a spin when this ep of Futurama is done. Fantastic experimental electronic album from one of the most interesting people in music right now (jam band fans, check out the Darkside project with Dave Harrington)

Edit: it’s real, but fairly conservative considering the material. It gets better the deeper you get however.

Last edited:
I have released a few albums in quad, I do modular synthesizers and the format there has been quad for a long time. When Dolby Atmos came in on popular services like Apple Music that's was the way to release it easily to all. I shared notes with @kamranv and I'm still learning.

However, you need to make sure you only use 4 objects placed in the corners of the virtual room, as your output is already made for that type of setup. There are already virtual objects moving between these 4 sources.

I made an Apple playlist of modular synthesizers in quadraphonic released at Dolby Atmos (not many releases yet, if you find more send it my way)

I explain how to do quadraphonics on a eurorack modular synthesizer
https://www.peachymango.org/euroquad

From your Apple playlist I only find in Tidal the album from Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith (in addition to the Suzanne Ciani):
https://tidal.com/browse/album/220478762

This is not a Quad (Atmos) mix, it uses the whole number of speakers in a mix that has surprised me:
- It starts with only the Wides (from my 9.1.4), a little the Sides, and then it comes the rears.
- Music is Rear dominant and immersive with subtle sounds on the Tops.
- It looks as if the channels orientation were turned around 180º (No sounds at Fronts).
- But as the songs progress, there is other part smixed with main vocal at front center, or two fronts. So thats more "normal".

Curious and different mix. Discrete, some moving sounds, immersive and NOT Front centric as usual.

Music is kind of ambient , electronic, meditation, with some nature sounds, and good vocals. Even if you don't like it is worth for the Atmos mix.

Anyone know why the Apple Music app on my IPAD correctly labels recordings that are Quad or 5.1 as “ Dolby Audio” , but on Apple TV version, it shows these recordings as just Lossless? No label for “ Dolby Audio”?

From your Apple playlist I only find in Tidal the album from Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith (in addition to the Suzanne Ciani):
https://tidal.com/browse/album/220478762

This is not a Quad (Atmos) mix, it uses the whole number of speakers in a mix that has surprised me:
- It starts with only the Wides (from my 9.1.4), a little the Sides, and then it comes the rears.
- Music is Rear dominant and immersive with subtle sounds on the Tops.
- It looks as if the channels orientation were turned around 180º (No sounds at Fronts).
- But as the songs progress, there is other part smixed with main vocal at front center, or two fronts. So thats more "normal".

Curious and different mix. Discrete, some moving sounds, immersive and NOT Front centric as usual.

Music is kind of ambient , electronic, meditation, with some nature sounds, and good vocals. Even if you don't like it is worth for the Atmos mix.
yes it is true, mostly quad, but not only…

You should find my albums there: https://tidal.com/browse/artist/7690762

I use the iOS App for browsing Atmos music. Using the search function I do the following:
- Search for “Atmos”. Enter the full word.
- Select “Dolby Atmos” as a Genre.
- Browse the section and add the albums and songs that I want to listen to to “My Collection”.
- Open the Tidal App on my TV/Fire TV Stick/Apple TV/… and open “My Collection”.
- Select the album or song and start listening.

This is the most comfortable way that I have found so far.

Finally on Apple in the US, The Police - Greatest Hits.

This one is such a disappointment as others have mentioned. I am enjoying the mix of Tea In The Sahara on this release though. I don't think that track has been released in a surround format in the past and it's always been a favorite. Not Steven Wilson great or anything but it sounds nice on my system.

https://listen.tidal.com/view/pages/dolby_atmos
This is far from comprehensive, but a good way to see the latest additions to their Atmos catalogue ("New Albums" and "Just released") and sample assorted highlights.

Back