Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh please please please let this be good!!!

Update: it’s definitely not an upmix! Hearing guitar parts in the rear channels.
While this wouldn't be a mix I’d use to show off to someone new to Atmos, I did enjoy it... a lot.

This and Quiet Riot’s Metal Health were pivotal albums for me. These were my gateway albums to heavier music.

Pyromania, in particular, is one of my “perfect albums”... an album that I think is fantastic from start to finish.

I could think of a number of things I would do if I was mixing this in Atmos, like movement around the speakers during “The March of...” at the end of Billy’s Got A Gun. But as a “surround” mix to feel like getting blasted (in a good way) all around you, it’s very nice mix to me and another one where, “If you sell it, I promise to buy it.”

By the way... I’ve had this album since it came out and have bought other editions, but I have never heard Joe say, "You know what I’m talkin’ about” after "Gonna start a fire” at about the 35-second mark in Rock of Ages. It’s so strange to hear something like that when you’ve got an album burned into your brain in a certain way after 40 years.

Too bad there is no immersive mix engineer credit on Tidal. If it is a Giles Martin or Steven Wilson mix, hopefully they will provide confirmation via their social media account.
To me this mix is not good enough to be a Steven Wilson mix, to little in the heights, sounds more like Giles Martin. ;)

Miles Davis - Nefertiti
Yes.
Only ambience, though. Good fidelity, but disappointing mix
Ambience in the overheads. Front to back it's more like double stereo, with a summed center channel. I wonder who did the mix--

I enjoy hearing this Atmos mix of the last fully acoustic album by the "Second Great Quintet."
Those who don't appreciate it can easily switch to the stereo version.

Don't want to quibble about the impressions folks I respect shared about the mix.
I hope we can agree the world would be a poorer place if this version were withdrawn, and the streaming offerings reverted to stereo only.

Miles knocked it out 55 years ago in a few sessions, released it quickly, and moved on.
He didn't labor over it like Steely Dan or The Beatles.
It wasn't recorded with isolated multi-tracks.
Not a good candidate to be deconstructed at Abbey Road by Giles Martin.
It is what it is.
Peace, out. ☮️

I enjoy hearing this Atmos mix of the last fully acoustic album by the "Second Great Quintet."
Those who don't appreciate it can easily switch to the stereo version.

Don't want to quibble about the impressions folks I respect shared about the mix.
I hope we can agree the world would be a poorer place if this version were withdrawn, and the streaming offerings reverted to stereo only.

Miles knocked it out 55 years ago in a few sessions, released it quickly, and moved on.
He didn't labor over it like Steely Dan or The Beatles.
It wasn't recorded with isolated multi-tracks.
Not a good candidate to be deconstructed at Abbey Road by Giles Martin.
It is what it is.
Peace, out. ☮️
I don’t understand the idea that a multi channel mix can’t be “ good” unless the mixer makes very obvious use of all the channels.

Back