Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really loved the Qsound/stereo version of Immaculate Collection when it was released on CD back in 1990 (not 1983 as Apple claims). The best tracks sounded so good on the sound system I had at the time and to top it off the cool Qsound effects. Soundwise Cherish was a favorite back then. These new atmos mixes are quite different. Not so polished this time and a little rougher. Not perfect. Some more attention could have been paid to the bottom end on most of the songs. But all in all this really is great fun! Love having this in atmos. Live to Tell stood out in the atmos collection and stroke a chord with me. Even gave med goosebumps! Always a good sign. :) And since we are wishing for more atmos from Madonna, I certainly wish the great sounding Madame X album will be remixed.

I really loved the Qsound/stereo version of Immaculate Collection when it was released on CD back in 1990 (not 1983 as Apple claims). The best tracks sounded so good on the sound system I had at the time and to top it off the cool Qsound effects. Soundwise Cherish was a favorite back then. These new atmos mixes are quite different. Not so polished this time and a little rougher. Not perfect. Some more attention could have been paid to the bottom end on most of the songs. But all in all this really is great fun! Love having this in atmos. Live to Tell stood out in the atmos collection and stroke a chord with me. Even gave med goosebumps! Always a good sign. :) And since we are wishing for more atmos from Madonna, I certainly wish the great sounding Madame X album will be remixed.
Yes, fully agree, listening now.
A mixed bag but overall its fairly good.
At least not the dreaded double stereo!!

Even though I do all my work on a mac, I've held out with everything else because when the iphone came out I got really annoyed with the whole app store / walled garden ridiculous concept. Still annoys the hell out of me. I've used Tidal for almost a year and then when Harrison's catalogue came out I basically had no choice and did the free month (and bought an Apple TV device). The UX on this thing is millions of light years ahead of everything else. It was a reminder that, for some reason, only Apple actually cares about the details and user experience. But also, somehow, the sound quality is much better. Not sure if there's been any discussion about this here before, and I don't know why that would be, but there's no doubt. I was using Tidal on the Fire stick, and now I'm using the Apple TV device - that's probably where the difference in sound quality is.

In any case... It pains me, really does, but I recommend switching.

I have both Tidal and Apple Music, and it's true. It seems the Atmos sound quality is better in Apple Music/Apple TV.

In theory it should be the same if the original files are the same DD+ JOC. I have done A-B comparison with same song Tidal and Apple, and it looks the volume level is a little higher in Apple. Trying to equate the volume level, I really don't find differences in sound quality between Tidal files and Apple. You know that a minimal increase in volume gives a better listening experience, and that could be the reason.
Also, could it be any difference in sound quality from Tidal DD+ Atmos and AppleTV Dolby MAT?

Actually, I really didn't test too much, so it's only a feeling.

Apple has better catalogue (some titles not on Tidal), better user experience, interface, lyrics and karaoke for those who are interested in that functionality.

But Tidal has a thing that Apple Music does not have (yet?). For that reason I keep the two subscriptions, for the moment.

Okay, I listen to Atmos on both Tidal and Amazon Unlimited, and I THINK the Amazon sounds slightly better (perhaps due to what is a higher volume than Tidal). This will be fun as we all chime in which service we think sounds better on our systems to our ears. Lots of subjectivity incoming!

Lots of surprises in this thread but this one really caught me off guard. I’ll give them a spin this weekend but I’m curious anyone’s takes in the meantime.

Bloviation alert. Consider yourselves warned.

I’m not much into soundtracks anymore but these were my gateway to audio back when buying a soundtrack and a book/comic adaptation was as close as you could get to home viewing. As a result, I care more about the music far more than the films themselves. So news about these these always .

I’m most curious about Empire. It’s pretty heavily discussed that the remaster a few years ago which corresponds with this album cover was fairly botched.

According to this this deep dive into the recording history of the original and prequel trilogies by someone named Chris Malone, the Imperial March (and Battle in the Snow) may be sourced from subsequent tapes. If so, these seem like upmix candidates. A real shame since that song is probably what everyone would be excited about. i seem to recall, the film is generally considered superior.

I do highly recommend the linked document. I haven’t read it in years (I think Vidiot or Hoffman got it to my attention). I’m attaching a sample page but here’s an excerpt of that page which may give a sense of why this could potentially be a unexpectedly cool release:

We all know these ATMOS mixes are a mixed bag and that vintage mixes present challenges. It does seem that at least some of these have very strong potential. On the other hand, screwing up Empire (maybe it was a phase issue?) is a reminder that these have a problematic history. Muddy mixes, tinny DSD (not my opinion, just in’nernet chatter), different released takes, track inclusions/exclusions, etc. that are as “controversial” as maklunkey and Han shot first.

Okay. That’s all. And just for the record, I’m neither a virgin nor do I live in my parents’ basement. I won’t say I’ve never had to tape my glasses together, though.

Edit: in hindsight, this may be more appropriate in the classical thread.
Thanks so much for sharing that link @IronWaffle. It's amazing and fascinating info on the recording... I've saved it as a pdf to dive more into - as there's a lot to tuck into. 🦈 Sadly I don't think these new Atmos mixes do the soundtrack fully justice - in terms of great surround, but they do ok - it's interesting... And I've only sampled a small section... I was just hoping for something a little bit more adventurous...

Luckily there's the great new D-V SACD that certainly delivers. I had to switch back to this and it really shows the way to go for a great Star Wars surround mix!

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4642

Thanks so much for sharing that link @IronWaffle. It's amazing and fascinating info on the recording... I've saved it as a pdf to dive more into - as there's a lot to tuck into. 🦈 Sadly I don't think these new Atmos mixes do the soundtrack fully justice - in terms of great surround, but they do ok - it's interesting... And I've only sampled a small section... I was just hoping for something a little bit more adventurous...

Luckily there's the great new D-V SACD that certainly delivers. I had to switch back to this and it really shows the way to go for a great Star Wars surround mix!

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4642
Speaking of thanking for links, I really appreciate this one. I’m going to look into this next time my budget refills.

As to the mixes, I wrote an overly detailed “hot take” of a few tracks’ mixes. Definitely not adventurous but I found them… better than I’d have expected if I’d dared expect them. Which I didn’t. While they may not be terribly sophisticated, there’s a pretty consistent approach that is better than “atmospheric.” They also don’t strike me as rushed back jobs like so much of what’s getting dumped in this Gold Rush.

Maybe I’m just easy to please. That’s not true. I’m impossible to please. My detailed observations there reveal my own limitations. Normally I wouldn’t have posted them but I had a hunch the mixes will be overlooked with so much else that really is quite good. Others do great at covering so many other bases that I figured I’d give it a shot.

I have both Tidal and Apple Music, and it's true. It seems the Atmos sound quality is better in Apple Music/Apple TV.

In theory it should be the same if the original files are the same DD+ JOC. I have done A-B comparison with same song Tidal and Apple, and it looks the volume level is a little higher in Apple. Trying to equate the volume level, I really don't find differences in sound quality between Tidal files and Apple. You know that a minimal increase in volume gives a better listening experience, and that could be the reason.
Also, could it be any difference in sound quality from Tidal DD+ Atmos and AppleTV Dolby MAT?

Actually, I really didn't test too much, so it's only a feeling.

Apple has better catalogue (some titles not on Tidal), better user experience, interface, lyrics and karaoke for those who are interested in that functionality.

But Tidal has a thing that Apple Music does not have (yet?). For that reason I keep the two subscriptions, for the moment.
Doesn’t Apple use its own proprietary renderer for Atmos?
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pr...atmos-mix-will-sound-different-on-apple-music

Apple's "Spatial Audio" Mess​

Ok, we have isolated the bad guy as Apple for getting rid of our Binaural Render Mode settings and, therefore, distributing a Dolby Atmos mix on Apple Music that is different from the binaural mix that we set in the studio. However, keep in mind that it is not Apple's fault that the DD+JOC codec removes the Binaural Render Modes; it is a Dolby codec. It is only Apple's fault that they chose not to use the newer AC4-IMS codec that would contain the binaural metadata. There is speculation as to why they made that choice.

However, we can't let Apple off the hook yet, because they threw another curveball in the mix, and that is called "Spatial Audio". It is a mess all by itself, and I get into more details in my book "Mixing in Dolby Atmos - #1 How it Works". Here are the important facts that you have to be aware of:

• Apple is using their own Renderer called "Spatial Audio" to playback Dolby Atmos mixes that are delivered to your Apple device as a DD+JOC codec.
  • Any Dolby Atmos mix that you listen to on Apple Music is played back by Apple's own Renderer and does not (!) use the Dolby Renderer that you are using when monitoring your Dolby Atmos during mixing.
  • The only exception is when playing back Apple Music content on the AppleTV through the HDMI output connected to a Dolby Atmos capable AV receiver or soundbar. In that case, you are listening to the Dolby Renderer and not the Apple Renderer.
  • Apple is using the original Dolby Atmos mix in the form of the encoded DD+JOC file, but their own Renderer, the spatial audio engine, creates a Headphone Virtualization (their form of Binaural Audio) and Speaker Virtualization (for playing on their supported iPads and Macs). It is more like a "spatial interpretation" of your Dolby Atmos mix, and there is no "Apple Spatial Audio Emulation" button that you can enable while creating your Dolby Atmos mix. Bottom line, you are mixing blind for Apple Music because you don't know how your Atmos mix will sound.”

Speaking of thanking for links, I really appreciate this one. I’m going to look into this next time my budget refills.

As to the mixes, I wrote an overly detailed “hot take” of a few tracks’ mixes. Definitely not adventurous but I found them… better than I’d have expected if I’d dared expect them. Which I didn’t. While they may not be terribly sophisticated, there’s a pretty consistent approach that is better than “atmospheric.” They also don’t strike me as rushed back jobs like so much of what’s getting dumped in this Gold Rush.

Maybe I’m just easy to please. That’s not true. I’m impossible to please. My detailed observations there reveal my own limitations. Normally I wouldn’t have posted them but I had a hunch the mixes will be overlooked with so much else that really is quite good. Others do great at covering so many other bases that I figured I’d give it a shot.
Same here... I find Atmos mixes can sometimes be on a 50/50 ratio for better or worse when compared to previous mixes?!? Doesn't mean there's not a lot of scope for mixing in Atmos though...

But honestly wait until you hear that D-V Star Wars SACD, it really is great! And John Williams is a fantastic composer! May the 4th be with you... :)

Edit - Don't also discount the quad Star Wars theme from Tomita - Space Fantasy. Lot's of R2-D2 sound effects which are quite funny...

Last edited:
New to Tidal today here in AU:

Madonna - Immaculate Collection (Atmos Mix) Tidal ID: 292439711
Leon Bridges - Good Thing (Deluxe) Tidal ID: 291780333
Jenny Owen Youngs - OFFAIR: from the forest floor Tidal ID: 291790794
ARTEMIS - In Real Time Tidal ID: 291790675
Freya Ridings - Blood Orange Tidal ID: 269990312
María Dueñas - Beethoven and Beyond Tidal ID: 291778464
Madison Cunningham - Revealer (Deluxe Edition) Tidal ID: 292819676
Q - Soul,PRESENT Tidal ID: 292766476
Ed Sheeran: - (Deluxe) Tidal ID: 291858685

I didn't see anyone post this from last week: