Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please excuse this little self indulgence, which is getting a nice DTS Neural X upmix via the Marantz amp.

ELO are my very favourite band.

And this is one of my favourite releases.

C'mon Jeff get this and all the others released in Atmos, pretty please.
oh, this one unfolds almost prefectly in faux surround that it's scary!

To me this is a very good sounding Atmos mix with very good use of the heights almost all the time. My meters were in the reds on several occasions, and I like the music too. ;)
I only have a 5.1 system, but I've really been enjoying Murmur. The rears sound active to me, not exactly discreet, but not just ambience or double stereo either. The album was recorded in Mitch Easter's modest studio, so the original technology may be a limiting factor with this mix. All in all I find it effective, and it breathes some new life into an album that I've heard many dozens of times. And it's interesting to see the lyrics on the screen; I'm not sure how accurate they are, but they seem to be better guesses than what I've been singing in my head all these years. Mr. Stipe didn't exactly enunciate on those early R.E.M. albums, which I think was deliberate, and my understanding is that he always argued for the vocals to be low in the mix, and that he chose words for how they sounded, without much literal meaning or intent. Wha-eva, it all works for me, and I really hope they Atmos-ize the rest of the I.R.S. catalog, if the multitracks exist.

I only have a 5.1 system, but I've really been enjoying Murmur. The rears sound active to me, not exactly discreet, but not just ambience or double stereo either. The album was recorded in Mitch Easter's modest studio, so the original technology may be a limiting factor with this mix. All in all I find it effective, and it breathes some new life into an album that I've heard many dozens of times. And it's interesting to see the lyrics on the screen; I'm not sure how accurate they are, but they seem to be better guesses than what I've been singing in my head all these years. Mr. Stipe didn't exactly enunciate on those early R.E.M. albums, which I think was deliberate, and my understanding is that he always argued for the vocals to be low in the mix, and that he chose words for how they sounded, without much literal meaning or intent. Wha-eva, it all works for me, and I really hope they Atmos-ize the rest of the I.R.S. catalog, if the multitracks exist.
There are stems available for “Radio Free Europe” from the Rock Band game series. They seem to indicate that there is plenty of multitrack material to work with for this track and presumably the entire Murmur album that a more adventurous mix was feasible.

I am really digging the new Jethro Tull! Only on second listen but the mix and music is really good. Do we know who mixed it? Tidal credits (360) doesn't show any mix engineers. This has been the best of the bunch in my last few listening sessions over the past couple weeks. Need to give War and Rob Zombie another listen. The REM is good but not to this level. Not really a fair comparison.

I am really digging the new Jethro Tull! Only on second listen but the mix and music is really good. Do we know who mixed it? Tidal credits (360) doesn't show any mix engineers. This has been the best of the bunch in my last few listening sessions over the past couple weeks. Need to give War and Rob Zombie another listen. The REM is good but not to this level. Not really a fair comparison.
Bruce Soord.

There are stems available for “Radio Free Europe” from the Rock Band game series. They seem to indicate that there is plenty of multitrack material to work with for this track and presumably the entire Murmur album that a more adventurous mix was feasible.
I think there's quite a bit going on in the back and top. On that first song plenty of guitars, drums, and the prominent piano and chime (?) around 3 minutes.
Sounds good to me throughout.

I hope it’s not just another Warner “all channel stereo”mix. I won’t be able to check for a few days, but eagerly await feedback.
Definitely not all-channel stereo, though I wouldn't be surprised if a few songs turned out to be upmixes ("Into The Groove", "Like A Prayer" and "Vogue" have much less seperation than the others).

Another interesting thing I noticed is that while all 7.1.4 channels are firing, the height speakers are treated like a stereo image rather than quad (perhaps indicating that these tracks were mixed only using the 7.1.2 bed and no objects?) and usually mirror the same content as the side speakers - stuff like the rhythm guitar in "Holiday" and 'popcorn'-like synth in "Live To Tell" - so the overall effect is like listening to a 5.1 mix (or 4.0 really, as the center speaker is not used at all) with the back channels elevated 50% of the way up.

Some tracks are pretty impressive though - "Papa Don't Preach" and "Crazy For You" being standouts - but I'm not so sure I don't enjoy it more than the upmix I made of the 1990 CD with my Tate II decoder...

How did this photo of me get released without my commission?
Taken before I joined the RAF in '77

Well the name Mike is correct... :D

Mike Dean is (probably… was… by now) Kanye West’s main producer for the longest time. He’s had his own electronic side project for a lil bit. Apparently he was planning on remixing everything he’s done in Atmos but that hasn’t happened yet, and Kanye doesn’t like it so that part of his discography will probably go untouched.

Here’s two more he’s done though:

I was scrolling through David Leonards credits on Tidal and found something huge! Dont think anyone mentioned this before.

https://tidal.com/album/291787874
R.E.M. - Murmur!

I was always bummed the R.E.M. 5.1 mixes never went back this far. Love to see this, still my favorite band. I reckon this means a 40th boxset is likely incoming.
Hopefully with this mix on blu-ray - followed by Reckoning 🙏🏼

Noticed that New Order’s 1983 album ‘Power, Corruption & Lies’ is promoted on the 80’s search box as being in Spatial Audio.

I am only getting stereo here in Australia, but others in geographical zones might be able to access?

Regardless a Atmos release appears imminent.
Not seeing it in the US yet either, still just lossless stereo here

Back