Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
Just cut and paste it as a link, the software here will turn it into the link preview thing.

Like this:

https://music.apple.com/cz/album/unspoken-words/1601407305
If you use this 'Insert link' button

1647639546439.png

The link will end up as highlighted text like this .

I’m sure people are paying more attention to the classical releases than I am: anyone seen a rendition of Peter and the Wolf in Atmos yet? Would love to hear it as such.

Not on this side of the pond, that I've been able to find.
My eyes glazed over first thing this morning trying to search through all the versions when the new thread popped up.

Who knew there was a six-hour super-deluxe collectors edition?
https://music.apple.com/us/album/jeff-waynes-musical-version-of-the-war-of/269845106
I vaguely remember when this came out back in the punk rock era, but had forgotten all about it.
Who doesn't love Richard Burton's voice reading anything?

Not on this side of the pond, that I've been able to find.
My eyes glazed over first thing this morning trying to search through all the versions when the new thread popped up.

Who knew there was a six-hour super-deluxe collectors edition?
https://music.apple.com/us/album/jeff-waynes-musical-version-of-the-war-of/269845106
I vaguely remember when this came out back in the punk rock era, but had forgotten all about it.
Who doesn't love Richard Burton's voice reading anything?

edit: got first bit all wrong so edited it! 😂

there was a not inexpensive (and not all that exciting as i recall?) boxed set (no idea when it came out but wasn't 2009!) with the SACDs from the 2-disc digipak, along with a book and some other.. stuff.. idk what was in it now tbh.

not enjoying the new Atmos much so far, lacks oomph and presence and the Rears feel like there's less going on in them than on the old SACDs.

i'll persevere with the Atmos in case it improves but wonder why the heck you'd make an album like this less Surround-y in the "upgrade" from 5.1 to Atmos!?

it should be all bells and whistles and a perfect Atmos showcase, which i'm definitely not getting so far. ugh.

Last edited:
flicking back and forth between the new Atmos and the old SACD and i'm pretty sure this Atmos is a distinct mix from the 5.1, with different elements etc, i'm pretty sure i've already heard different synth bits and different sound effects, i'm pretty sure its not just an 'upscaled' rehash of the 5.1, if it is its a clever one!

there's also a change in emphasis in the new mix, some effects and accents are more Surround-y now which is great, really very effective in places with effects Popping up here and there but instrumentation does not always feel as Surround-y as it did before, it feels musically maybe more of a Front-heavy mix music-wise than the old SACDs somehow?

on an unrelated note, i'm so bored off my titties with Apple Music not playing gaplessly anymore!!! 🤦‍♀️ with an album like this where it all segues into one another, now there's bloody gaps everywhere. UGH. sorditahtyooapplekhantzzz!! 😅😂

i'm convinced the WOTW's Atmos is definitely a new mix and not a rehash of the SACDs; during Track 3, "The Artilleryman And The Fighting Machine" there's an exchange between The Journalist (Richard Burton) and The Artilleryman (David Essex) and on the SACD it has Burton in the Left channels (both Front and Rear) while Essex is in the Right channels (Front & Rear) and in the new Atmos all the dialogue is all just up in the Centre Front. interesting.

Back