Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

that should take you to the US version 🤞
IMG_1711.jpeg

Streaming High Definition Atmos :). :)
back home 😅 and the first thing i did was of course to crank up all the new Atmos stuff! 🤦‍♀️😂

GYBR sounds enormously immersively immense on the full 7.1.4 speaker rig!! 🤩💘

"All The Young Girls Love Alice" is my Atmos highlight, it goes absolutely totally nuts, its incredible! 🤪 i thought the Height speakers were gonna blow up!! 😅😂

the whole album is mega Surround-y throughout, some tracks have much more going on in the Heights than others ("I've Seen That Movie Too" didn't seem to have much if anything going on up there beyond ambience from what i could tell so far!?) and also has a nicer overall sound than the sometimes kinda harsh old SACDs/DVD-A. hopefully we get it on a Blu-ray someday!! 🤞🙏🍀

back home 😅 and the first thing i did was of course to crank up all the new Atmos stuff! 🤦‍♀️😂

GYBR sounds enormously immersively immense on the full 7.1.4 speaker rig!! 🤩💘

"All The Young Girls Love Alice" is my Atmos highlight, it goes absolutely totally nuts, its incredible! 🤪 i thought the Height speakers were gonna blow up!! 😅😂

the whole album is mega Surround-y throughout, some tracks have much more going on in the Heights than others ("I've Seen That Movie Too" didn't seem to have much if anything going on up there beyond ambience from what i could tell so far!?) and also has a nicer overall sound than the sometimes kinda harsh old SACDs/DVD-A. hopefully we get it on a Blu-ray someday!! 🤞🙏🍀
a few little observational incidental thingies playing the Atmos again and again, til BT cut me phone off 😅🤪

Jamaica Jerk-Off; no longer has the "watch out now!" soundbite that popped up after the first chrous in the old 5.1 (wasn't in the original Stereo anyway so no big ting..) 🤷🏻‍♀️

All The Girls Love Alice; the main guitar riff now comes from the front soundstage in the Atmos, on the old 5.1 it's in the Rears 🤩

Danny Bailey; the piano trills in the outro are panned differently now (the "dang dang dang" EJ plays with his left hand and "da ling da, da ling da, da ling da" with his right) in the original Stereo it was all lumped into the right channel, in the 5.1 the right hand playing was Front Right/left hand playing Rear Right, in the Atmos the right hand playing is in the Front Left and left hand playing "dang dang dang" in the Front Right creating a kind of an audience perspective, in other words EJ and the band are facing us the listener 😎

oh and a more general thing, certain tracks felt like they now have more vocal reverb than before (I've Seen That Movie Too, Roy Rogers) but i'm still flicking back and forth between the 867 versions of GYBR chez Freddumz to get to zee boddum of zingz 😅🤦‍♀️

Wasn’t expecting to see this when I logged on today!! Only had time to listen to the first few songs. Really enjoyed So far.
Bought this 50yrs ago. My son has my vinyl collection now.
This still sounds as fresh as when I first spun it. The Atmos treatment is revealing more hidden gems in each song. Wonderful

Not sure about Diamonds and Pearls after the first round of listening. Its' a mixed bag. I love this record and have spent a lot of time listening to the CD over the years. I compared it to the stereo mix on Tidal (CD quality). Started with my favorite songs, the title track, 'Cream' and 'Money Don't Matter 2 Night'. On these songs I find that many of the orignal mixes (by Michael Koppelman) are denser and more energetic. Drums are louder and more upfront and the bass is better levelled and equalized. In the atmos versions it's like some of the energy is sucked out of the music. Drums and percussion are more distant, the eq of the snare is often altered so much it doesn't fit the music anymore IMO. It's becoming to well behaved. That's just not Prince. The bass is somewhat extended in the sub department which is fine, but it often lacks energy at higher (and important) frequencies. Sometimes it is almost a hole in the bass reproduction, e.g. try 'Cream'. The cause could be the monitoring/acoustics in the mixing room. For the title track I don't like the mix of the vocals either. It's too dry. It could be reduced compared to the original and still sound fine, but this is too dry to be true to the original. On another favorite of mine 'Money Don't Matter 2 Night' the vocal effect is exaggerated. Again compare with the original.
On the positive side other tracks e.g. 'Thunder' has a better outcome when compared. The treble area also generally gets a good treatment and the high end of percussion sounds overall better than the CD. I will for sure listen a lot more to this record in the days to come, but I am a little disappointed. It's fun to finally have a Prince record in Atmos (and Blu-ray is ordered), but I had such high expectations. Maybe too high? Looking forward to hear your comments about the mix.

I was glad to see it's not just me. The balance of the elements in the mix is completely fucked. Also everything sounds compressed ASF.

I'm enjoying listening to this but that's just because I know every note on this album and I'm hearing all kinds of new things. I'm just not sure what I'm listening to exactly.

Back