Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might come back. Tidal can be pretty weird that way. When pink floyd dsotm atmos was released to stream, I believe it stayed the whole time on apple. But over on tidal, it was there for the first couple of days, then got pulled, then came back a few days later, and then after about a week, it got pulled again never to return. I wish it were easier for me to enjoy atmos on apple, but for now I'll have to settle for what's on tidal, as apple music is not supported on my sony google TV, and I just can't bring myself to shell out $130+ for an apple steaming device when I have alrdy invested so much in all my other gear. I could easily listen to some apple atmos with headphones, but I have zero interest in hearing it anywhere except through my atmos home theater setup.
They added Apple Music Atmos on LG TVs in the last few days, so maybe there is hope for Sony's too.

They added Apple Music Atmos on LG TVs in the last few days, so maybe there is hope for Sony's too.
That would be awesome. If that happens, It'll def give me a reason to subscribe to both tidal and Apple. The more atmos the better. And there's for sure some good atmos albums that apple has but tidal doesn't.

I've been using the Apple Music app on my LG TV since they enabled it for Spatial. Works well, although the navigation is a bit clunkier, and there's no voice search, which is the biggest deficit for me. Still, if my Apple TV unit dies, I probably won't rush to replace it, since I can use the TV app.

My 2021 Apple TV 4K is pretty flaky, actually -- it glitches a lot, and reboots itself out of the blue sometimes. I have to restart it regularly to fix it after it gets buggy. Anyone else have similar issues, or do I have a lemon? I bought it for a reduced price as an Amazon Warehouse deal, which might explain it.

I've been using the Apple Music app on my LG TV since they enabled it for Spatial. Works well, although the navigation is a bit clunkier, and there's no voice search, which is the biggest deficit for me. Still, if my Apple TV unit dies, I probably won't rush to replace it, since I can use the TV app.

My 2021 Apple TV 4K is pretty flaky, actually -- it glitches a lot, and reboots itself out of the blue sometimes. I have to restart it regularly to fix it after it gets buggy. Anyone else have similar issues, or do I have a lemon? I bought it for a reduced price as an Amazon Warehouse deal, which might explain it.
No my brand-new-at-the-time 2021 Apple TV 4K has also been glitchy of late. I have to assume it’s something introduced in software that hasn’t been caught/fixed yet. It largely stems around animated album art in the Apple Music app for me, sometimes it will fail to start to animate, then try to “catch up” by playing at 4x speed… causing the app to crash. What’s more fun is after it crashes there’s a chance that the audio signal gets goofed up somehow and I have to restart the unit to get it to “refresh” effectively.

There’s a rumor that there’s a new model out in June. Not too much is known about it other than a chip improvement (rumored to be using the same super-powered chip the iPhone 15 Pros are using, which they’ve been making a big gaming performance marketing push for), and bigger storage. I’m tempted to pick one up if only to swap out the Apple TV remote with one that charges via USB-C

No my brand-new-at-the-time 2021 Apple TV 4K has also been glitchy of late. I have to assume it’s something introduced in software that hasn’t been caught/fixed yet. It largely stems around animated album art in the Apple Music app for me, sometimes it will fail to start to animate, then try to “catch up” by playing at 4x speed… causing the app to crash. What’s more fun is after it crashes there’s a chance that the audio signal gets goofed up somehow and I have to restart the unit to get it to “refresh” effectively.

There’s a rumor that there’s a new model out in June. Not too much is known about it other than a chip improvement (rumored to be using the same super-powered chip the iPhone 15 Pros are using, which they’ve been making a big gaming performance marketing push for), and bigger storage. I’m tempted to pick one up if only to swap out the Apple TV remote with one that charges via USB-C
Thanks for the response... not sure my glitches are generally associated with album art animation. But to clarify what I said earlier, the unit does not actually fully reboot itself, it's just the Music app that closes and restarts for no apparent reason, after which I often need to force a full unit restart to get everything working properly again... sounds similar to what you're experiencing.

Wow!. Never heard of BZ, but this is cranked up on my system now. I see they have two other Atmos albums streaming on Apple Music.

This one might have to be my next IAA purchase.

Wow!. Never heard of BZ, but this is cranked up on my system now. I see they have two other Atmos albums streaming on Apple Music.

This one might have to be my next IAA purchase.
That's so nice! This absolutely makes my day. A friend of mine told me about this post, and this comes at a time when I've been questioning if I should continue making my own music or not. Seeing such a positive response to my music, and especially my Atmos mix, gives me so much encouragement to continue. Maybe I'm reaching people after all! Thanks again :) FWIW, I'll upload the other 2 (3?) albums of mine that I have Atmos mixes for soon.

That's so nice! This absolutely makes my day. A friend of mine told me about this post, and this comes at a time when I've been questioning if I should continue making my own music or not. Seeing such a positive response to my music, and especially my Atmos mix, gives me so much encouragement to continue. Maybe I'm reaching people after all! Thanks again :) FWIW, I'll upload the other 2 (3?) albums of mine that I have Atmos mixes for soon.
You taking the time to respond makes my day, too. Thank you.

Moving people and creating joy for others through music is a gift. I hope it’s something you continue to do.

You taking the time to respond makes my day, too. Thank you.

Moving people and creating joy for others through music is a gift. I hope it’s something you continue to do.
Enjoying the hell out of your albums and Atmos mixes. Really glad I discovered these through QQ, I've been listening for a few days now.

Your music is soooo suited to the Atmos speakers. It's thoughtful, intelligent and above all it makes my Atmos speakers come alive.
This is just what I and I'm sure many others here on QQ, enjoy.

If ever you contemplated issuing your music in a physical format, count me in.
I will buy from IAA, as well.

Keep up the fantastic work 👍😊

Glad I found this. The Atmos mixes are fantastic. Excellent use of the height speakers and a nice clean, punchy sound overall. Very crankable. The middle sections of Even Function and Discontinuity are wild, just to name a couple examples.

Also, can’t help but notice by the song titles, you must be a bit of a math geek!

All of these are on First Rays of the New Rising Sun. Are they different?
Anyone compare yet? I imagine they are identical. I only have Tidal, otherwise I would check. I don't see Cry on Tidal.

Anyone compare yet? I imagine they are identical. I only have Tidal, otherwise I would check. I don't see Cry on Tidal.
I just did a relatively quick spot-check of about half the Cry Of Love songs, and I think they're identical to the versions on First Rays. Probably due to that Apple Music thing where new mixes sometimes "migrate" to other albums containing the same tracks.

I'm listening on a 5.1 system, and these mixes sound really good to me. On the other hand, the new streaming Atmos mix of Pink Floyd's Animals doesn't sound nearly as good on my 5.1 rig as the 2022 5.1 Blu-ray does, even when taking the lossy resolution of the stream into account. I find there's a lot of variation in how different Atmos mixes sound on my system. Sometimes even those albums that people with Atmos systems tend to praise, just don't "fold-down" well for me, often way too heavy in the rears. No such issue with these Hendrix songs.

Billie Eilish: Hit Me Hard and Soft - Dolby Atmos​

The sound is immersive good enough, but it doesn't have much aggressive movements or discrete ping-pong sounds.

The mix style reminds me the one of Mark Knopfler - One Deep River: hemispherical frontal sound. Without any significant sounds from Rears (Surround Backs) and Top Rears.

The immersive sensation is augmented with a great use of the Wides (as with Mark Knopfler). This Billie Eilish do have some more interesting details than Deep River - Mark Knopfler.

It is a "calm" mix. Good enough, good fidelity, some nice echo effects, but not aggresive (or exciting...).

Again, as my comments about Pink Floyd - Animals in other thread: A good mix but without spectacularity. And I guess I'm taking advantage of my Wides Speakers installation (9.1.4)

I think to remember, previous Atmos albums from Billie Eilish were more exciting for me. I will revisit them.
Yes, after revisting previouis Billie Eilish Atmos albums, they sound more interesting.

Perhaps is because a little different songs style, but, undoubtely, the previous mixes DO USE Rears and Top Rears a lot. Not the last One.

Back