Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The surround Atmos / DTS HD Master Audio mixes are a 10 for me. If I’m being honest, I only purchase any of these box sets is for the surround mixes so I am not going to deduct from my vote for paying extra for Vinyl, posters, marbles etc. Like most of you I would like a separate blu ray surround disc only. It is what it is with these boxes sets.
The Band - Cahoots surround mixes really improve in every way to any previous stereo versions ( I have the MFSL Cahoots SACD). Plenty of discrete instruments from the rear speakers.
The surround mixes have improved my opinion of Cahoots 100 per cent.
I have not noticed much discrete sound from height speakers in any Atmos mixes for music I have unlike some 4k Atmos movies surround mixes. I guess I must have expected more discrete sound from height speakers in Dolby Atmos music discs.
Anyway, I picked up Cahoots at Amazon for $65. so I’m pretty happy with it. 10 for me.
Check out Kraftwerk or Yello, and you will get lots of discrete sounds in the heights, or Raiders of the Storm from the Doors. :cool:

Check out Kraftwerk or Yello, and you will get lots of discrete sounds in the heights, or Raiders of the Storm from the Doors. :cool:
Are my expectations for for discrete sounds from the four height speakers I have unrealistic? Is Dolby Atmos supposed to be discrete or ambient in the height speakers?
I have both the Doors quad and 5.1 box set - but these are not Dolby Atmos so how would I get height imformation? Thanks

Are my expectations for for discrete sounds from the four height speakers I have unrealistic? Is Dolby Atmos supposed to be discrete or ambient in the height speakers?
I have both the Doors quad and 5.1 box set - but these are not Dolby Atmos so how would I get height imformation? Thanks
If you have a ATV4K and Apple Music you can listen to all the Doors albums in Atmos from today, Kraftwerk and Yello are there to. Some Atmos mixes have discrete sounds in the heights, others ambient and some have next to nothing. :cool:

when I was growing up , in PR you were either a ROCKERO or a COCOLO (Salsa Lover!)..took me a while until I became a "ROCKOLO"...the main concert venues were either the Hiram Bithorn Stadium or the Coliseo Roberto Clemente (and there were MANY a Salsa concerts there!), unfortunately the Salsa concerts did not feature the stage nor the sound specs of a ROCK CONCERT (LOUD!) and the FIRST concert after MANY years in PR and in the Coliseo was the U.K.(Jobson-/Wetton/Bozzio) Concert in Thanksgiving Eve in 1979 which was my FIRST ROCK CONCERT EVER and you can find them in youtube ..for example..

I too grew up there at that time. Saw UK concert too at the HB, also Saga.

Survivor - Eye Of The Tiger 🐯🥊

1280x1280-22.jpg

Apple Music - Eye of the Tiger by Survivor
Tidal (360 Reality Audio) - Try the TIDAL Web Player

🎙 "....and it looks like stereo is out for the count". 😆

Now all we need is the Maynard Ferguson Conquistador quad featuring 'Gonna Fly Now' to be released. :cool:

Sheryl Crow - Sheryl: Music From The Feature Documentary

1280x1280-23.jpg

A pretty cool greatest hits compilation. Not listened to it all but seems pretty good. The bongos in the heights on Everyday Is A Winding Road intro sound great. I feel like I'm being patted on the top of my head by giant invisible hands... ☺

"Few contemporary artists have contributed to the American songbook like Sheryl Crow, the Grammy-winning superstar behind hits like “Soak Up the Sun” and “All I Wanna Do”. A Showtime documentary, Sheryl, seeks to chart that impact, shining a well-deserved spotlight on Crow’s remarkable career. The comprehensive double album Sheryl: Music from the Feature Documentary soundtracks the film, compiling 35 songs that, particularly when considered together, paint an impressive portrait of Crow’s multi-decade career, one that shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon. All the hits are here, as well as some of Crow’s best-loved collaborations, with artists like Stevie Nicks, Maren Morris, Jason Isbell, and more."

Apple Music - Sheryl: Music From The Feature Documentary by Sheryl Crow
Tidal - https://tidal.com/browse/album/227815721

Survivor - Eye Of The Tiger 🐯🥊

View attachment 78644

Apple Music - Eye of the Tiger by Survivor
Tidal (360 Reality Audio) - Try the TIDAL Web Player

🎙 "....and it looks like stereo is out for the count". 😆

Now all we need is the Maynard Ferguson Conquistador quad featuring 'Gonna Fly Now' to be released. :cool:

along with Wild Cherry, the REO's, Johnny Nash, Paul Simon's Still Crazy and those that are now on other labels (B.T. Express, Janis Ian, Minnie Riperton) Conquistador's one of a mere handful of CBS Quads not now on Tidal in 360RA! that's impressive!

View attachment 78645

A pretty cool greatest hits compilation. Not listened to it all but seems pretty good. The bongos in the heights on Everyday Is A Winding Road intro sound great. I feel like I'm being patted on the top of my head by giant invisible hands... ☺

"Few contemporary artists have contributed to the American songbook like Sheryl Crow, the Grammy-winning superstar behind hits like “Soak Up the Sun” and “All I Wanna Do”. A Showtime documentary, Sheryl, seeks to chart that impact, shining a well-deserved spotlight on Crow’s remarkable career. The comprehensive double album Sheryl: Music from the Feature Documentary soundtracks the film, compiling 35 songs that, particularly when considered together, paint an impressive portrait of Crow’s multi-decade career, one that shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon. All the hits are here, as well as some of Crow’s best-loved collaborations, with artists like Stevie Nicks, Maren Morris, Jason Isbell, and more."

I don’t think all tracks are in Atmos.

I don’t think all tracks are in Atmos.
You're right - out of the 35 songs The Difficult Kind (Live) and Prove You Wrong are lossless only on Apple.

Tidal shows Atmos label for each song from the set, but can't confirm that as I'm not a subscriber.

View attachment 78645

I was actually shocked by the high quality of this one.
I dont know any album that has such discreet audio on streaming.
An fantastic album that of course should be released on Bluray audio with Dolby Atmos audio and not just the 2CD that has been released

Last edited:
OK, so I suppose this should be over in the Apple TV tips thread but since @popshop brought it up I need to ask: when one clicks the "+" button it downloads the album (adds it to library). Where? I do not want loads of Atmos stuff (or even the stereo counterpart) loaded on my phone, I don't have the room for it. When you guys (@humprof is perfect example) list dozens and dozens of great Atmos choices where is this now-massive-ever-growing-library being stored? I'd just as soon make them some sort of favorites, not local downloads. Sorry for the newbie question (I still don't have ATV4k+ or any of the 7.1.4 system installed yet; long story).
The short answer is that it's stored in the cloud, unless you deliberately download something onto your phone for offline listening. Your "library" is a metaphorical library--actually just a (very badly organized) online card catalog or, as you put it, a list of favorites. After you click that "+" button, whatever you've just added will show up most immediately on the "Recently Added" tab of your app.

View attachment 78645

I like the approach to most of these mixes. Freeing the musical elements previously stuffed into two channels and mixing in ATMOS really allows you to hear great detail in all the instruments, and these mixes do this very well.

Back