Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Lyle Lovett -12th Of June, is a real nice surround mix; shame there's no physical disc to be had.
I wonder if Immersive Audio Album can campaign to the label/artist to get a download version??? 🤨
-and it's under "Country" which is a little misleading, I'd say more Jazz/Pop-Crooner with just a wink to country; classic Lovett! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
-- and don't care what's in the heights, 'cause I ain't got none yet :)

https://music.apple.com/us/album/12th-of-june/1615477174

While listed as Atmos in Apple Music, seems like only 4 channels (4.0) are active when downmixed to 5.1 surround. Anyone seeing anything different?

There is no such thing as "down mixing" Atmos. What that means is that the multichannel bed is 4.0. Atmos would pull things out of that and move them around in "object space" but nothing "down mixes" an Atmos mix to the multichannel bed.

There is no such thing as "down mixing" Atmos. What that means is that the multichannel bed is 4.0. Atmos would pull things out of that and move them around in "object space" but nothing "down mixes" an Atmos mix to the multichannel bed.
Sorry, poor description by me. What you stated is what I poorly detailed. Thanks for putting the correct detail on things. :)

Sorry, poor description by me. What you stated is what I poorly detailed. Thanks for putting the correct detail on things. :)

I just recently came to understand how this works, and it was a revelation, I had always assumed some kind of down mixing was going on. It is actually quite a relief to know that the "bed channels" are a complete mix that isn't missing anything other than placement.

This morning:
I listened to new Rod Stewart, weak Atmos, good 5.1, good music, easy going and nice flow.
H.E.R one track available, weak Atmos, so-so in all.
David Bowie Space Oddity, so-so Atmos and 5.1. Discrete at least. You can just tell a hard copy would be a huge improvement.

This has been posted here before but it’s had me transfixed on my couch/phone for the last lil bit here. I keep telling myself I’ll go for a walk or do something but I’m loving the atmosphere it’s creating too much to drag myself away.

https://music.apple.com/us/album/one-mix-with-goldie-dj-mix/1625984351
Also, what a delight! Gapless Atmos done right! Apple, apply this to non-DJ Mix releases please (assuming this isn’t something toggled in the backend for uploads)

This morning:
I listened to new Rod Stewart, weak Atmos, good 5.1, good music, easy going and nice flow.
H.E.R one track available, weak Atmos, so-so in all.
David Bowie Space Oddity, so-so Atmos and 5.1. Discrete at least. You can just tell a hard copy would be a huge improvement.
I found Space Oddity very revealing and dramatically increased my appreciation for this early Bowie work. The original stereo mix didnt serve the scope of creative vision of the music. I think this re mix in ATMOS does.

The Beach Boys - Sounds of Summer: The Very Best Of The Beach Boys (30 Atmos tracks)

Tidal ID: 233057596

View attachment 80366
Been listening to this on Apple. Surfer Girl just blew my mind, but some of the earlier tracks were pretty crudely recorded. ATMOS exposes some of that. Overall, really nice to get inside all these classics.

Yes, this is very good. Lots of little nuances coming through the heights, very well blended throughout, including a strong LFE. I am assuming made with the intention of Atmos? Super good calming music for the morning listener. Melting me.
I admit to not listening on my Atmos setup yet, but on my AirPod Max’s. Does the volume of each track differ slightly for you? I would notice it getting about one notch louder or quieter when it changed tracks.

Back