Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm doing a fair amount of work these days for indie label Friends of Friends Music. Many of the artists on the label self-record and self mix. Criibaby is one of them...here's a single that was released a bit ago. She'll be at SxSW here in Austin next week, so I thought I'd give her a little shout-out. Working on the rest of the album as we speak. If you're in ATX for the festival, check her out! Criibaby

Why has no one ever told me to listen to the whole album and not just the first track?! 😜
One hell of an immersive mix. My head is spinning.

Yes the lossless TrueHD version on Blu-ray is even better. Track 4 (Red Medina) has a growling height presentation that is more impactful than even the impressive streamed version. All their stuff is great in Atmos; try the Movements album too

Just spent a very enjoyable hour or so hearing Invincible Shield (Judas Priest) in Atmos. Very engaging mix - I was expecting Andy Sneap to have mixed it, which I was dreading because his supposed 5.1 of the last Dream Theater was a truly horrible waste of money, but this has been done with taste and imagination by Mark Gittins at Sensound, UK... for me, arguably Priest's finest hour in decades.

I'm plugging this freshly released solo album here mainly because I want to share this news:
In a new interview with Paul Anthony of Planet Rock, Bruce Dickinson stated (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET):
"We are in the middle of doing Dolby Atmos mixes for all of my back catalog, and that requires quite a lot of stuff, 'cause we're not just remixing; we are also — what's the expression? — reimagining some of the albums. So some of the albums that should have been, frankly, a bit heavier, like 'Balls To Picasso', we can stick some new stuff on, and there's some stuff that didn't get mixed on to the album that was recorded that we can take a view on as well. ... I'd just done an Atmos mix of 'Skunkworks' with the blessing of [the LP's original producer] Jack Endino, and it sounds brilliant."
https://blabbermouth.net/news/bruce...ing-solo-tour-its-gonna-be-an-incredible-band
https://tidal.com/album/340009052

I was browsing Ben Dodson's Spatial database when the name "French 79" caught my eye.
I said to myself, well I like French music and I was born in 79, so let's give it a listen.
Turns out it's pretty good!

"French 79" is indeed a French musician who was also born in 79. We also share the same name, so that's quite a coincidence.
He's style is defiantly in my wheelhouse - 80's electronic dance-pop/synthwave.
Although I think It's not as polished as other electronic greats, but he is getting there.
I'm sure that if he'll join someone and they'll be a French electronic duo, he will get there faster 😉

His latest album "Teenagers" is mixed in Atmos, and for the most part, it's a really good mix, with some great use of surrounds.
If you like Rodrigez Jr., Gaspard Auge and others like them you should defiantly give this album a spin.
Tracks to sample: "Burning Legend", "Memories" & "Freedom"

Last edited:

I had a full run through of the Jacob Collier this morning, and just, wow. It's the equivalent of a trip around the world, musically speaking. Hitting on at least a dozen musical genres and yet somehow makes for a cohesive, epic journey when listened straight through. I am usually not much on pop music these days but this is next level stuff. Pop, electronica, gospel, jazz, screamo, rock, prog, blues, middle eastern, Latin, orchestral, and on and on. And a demo-worthy Atmos mix to boot. Somebody please please PLEASE release this on blu-ray.

If you consider yourself to be musically adventurous, you owe it to yourself to give this a listen.

Last edited:
Back