Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Weller 66 complete Dolby atmos mix is available now on Apple Music. This Dolby Atmos mix is fantastic: very discrete tasteful and a complete surprise. Never heard of this Dolby Atmos mixer but he did a great job. Too bad this only on streaming as I would purchase a blu ray disc of 66 in a second.

Common has a new album out soon, and I just noticed that his best 2 albums have been given the Dolby Atmos treatment.

They sound wonderful, a real 360-degree experience, and much higher quality than I've ever heard!

The style of music is conscious hip-hop, with a focus on intelligent lyrics, smooth rap flow, and unique beats and samples. Classic hip-hop, quite jazzy, and even world music in parts.

Honestly, I don't much understand the point of side surrounds, middle heights, or wides. I do get the "voice of god" Auro speaker, as that mirrors the center channel in a way, but no other immersive formats use it. 5.1.4 is what makes the most sense to me.

This is my experience with Atmos 9.1.4 and Auro-3D 13.1 with different speakers at its right locations for both systems.

Side Surrounds may generate binaural cues, with the feeling "inside your head" that no other speakers can generate the same. They complement the Surround Backs (rears) to give a much richer rear scene, either immersive or with discrete ping-pong sounds. Of course you need the sofa at the middle of the room, not against the rear wall.

Middle heights may be important for 6 ceiling speakers when the audience is distributed in several raws and you need to give coverage to more people. Or if looong pannings are done over your head and have a room big enough. Although I have tried 7.1.6 Atmos "combining" speakers from Atmos and from Auro-3D, I have not tested enough to give you a criterion of its advantages.

Wides.... here you touch my heartstrings. If the room may accomodate the Wides in its right location, when properly used in the mix, they give a much more wide front stage, separating vocals from music or whatever. Even Atmos Front centric mixes may become spectacular.

Voice of God. It is really barely used. In my Auro-3D 13.1 I have mimimum content from the VOG. The majority native mixes on Auro-3D are 9.1 and the Auromatic (upmixer that can be used also for native Auro-3D) does not engage too much the VOG. This is my experience with my 13 Channel VUmeter monitoring.

Of course it all depends on the creativity of the mixer artist and the possibilities of each one's listening room.

Common has a new album out soon, and I just noticed that his best 2 albums have been given the Dolby Atmos treatment.

They sound wonderful, a real 360-degree experience, and much higher quality than I've ever heard!

The style of music is conscious hip-hop, with a focus on intelligent lyrics, smooth rap flow, and unique beats and samples. Classic hip-hop, quite jazzy, and even world music in parts.

Fabulous! (Wouldn't it be great to get Electric Circus, too? And I agree: we need to know who did these mixes! Possibly Dennis "Roc.AM" Jones?) Together with other contemporaneous albums by Erykah Badu and D'Angelo, these remixes continue to shine a light on the legacy and influence of J. Dilla and the Soulquarians....

Last edited:
Fabulous! (Wouldn't it be great to get Electric Circus, too? And I agree: we need to know who did these mixes! Possibly Dennis "Roc.AM" Jones?) Together with other contemporaneous albums by Erykah Badu and D'Angelo, these remixes continue to shine a light on the legacy and influence of J. Dilla and the Soulquarians....
In both cases, it's Kaleb "KQuick" Rollins

Its really 7.1.4. (No Wides)

Discrete enough.

More use of the rears than the sides, looking for a more quad scene. But sides are also used discrete. Also Tops are used, more in the first Song than in the second.

Elliot Scheiner is the producer and Apple Music "request" Atmos mix. So It would be interesting to know about Scheiner thoughts about the mix.

But remember that Steven Wilson, as a disciple of Elliot Scheiner, was also not interested in Dolby Atmos and seemed unaware of it, when already being music in Atmos but still without the current push. Only Steven is younger and quicker to adopt it than Elliot.

Thanks! Would be cool if you could let me know how you know. Is there a source for these credits?
Tidal is the only service right now that allows you to see the immersive mix engineer. Apple Music does not currently have this capability.

He most likely got the answer from Tidal.

Yep, Tidal is the way. You don't have to subscribe, just sign up to the mobile app and look up the Atmos edition of a title.
Screenshot_2024-05-27-10-45-37-76_04e03425392fc155c003bf4da0c67f74.jpg

Back