Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have a specific example? I can’t say I have noticed duplicate Atmos album entries other than for clean vs explicit.

These are three copies of the Fleetwood Mac album: 1977 - Rumours (Atmos Mix) [TIDAL [Dolby Atmos]

They are exactly the same. The only differences in their files are the Mediainfo code numbers ISRC, UPC and the encoded, tagged dates.

It is curious that the encode date was Feb-03 with 11 seconds difference for the first and third and the second one was the day after Feb-04

https://tidal.com/browse/album/215115400

Encoded date : UTC 2022-02-03 09:57:09

Tagged date : UTC 2022-02-03 09:57:09

ISRC : USRH12200246

UPC : 603497839551

https://tidal.com/browse/album/215245841

Encoded date : UTC 2022-02-04 06:24:19

Tagged date : UTC 2022-02-04 06:24:19

ISRC : USRH12200407

UPC : 603497839575

https://tidal.com/browse/album/215115415

Encoded date : UTC 2022-02-03 09:57:20

Tagged date : UTC 2022-02-03 09:57:20

ISRC : USRH12200246

UPC : 603497839759

Last edited:
Only tracks 6-10 in Atmos for me, and it sounds like the usual Warner fakery.
Disappointing to hear. I’d love to hear a really great mix of Castles In The Sand. Could shine with right ears/hands.

When reviewing my library to see what had been removed I noticed a few other notable previously Atmos releases that have reverted to Stereo, maybe there should be a thread for that...

Sting - The Dream of the Blue Turtles

Really annoyed by this. Although the mix on much of the album was underwhelming, I really loved the mix on "Moon Over Bourbon Street". It was one of my most played Atmos tracks. The Atmos mix of Ten Summoner's Tales remains up. :unsure:

I'd like to warmly recommend "Monsters" by The Midnight. This is one of the leading artists in the Retrowave genre, mixing classic 80s sounds with modern sensibilities. Think Stranger Things or the Drive soundtrack. Some very nice sax playing on this one, tons of synths and driving beats. I don't like the processed vocals so much, they could use less of that, but hey, them's the breaks. Very good surround experience.

https://listen.tidal.com/album/147965873
Anybody know if The White Album is on Tidal in Atmos? For the life of me, I can't find it. All the other Beatles Atmos mixes are there. A link would be great if it exists.
Thank you for this.
also, I’ve learned something today. A new genre! Retrowave.

Try "Atlas" by FM-84. Stereo only, but a great, great album. Or any album by Carpenter Brut if you want something more heavy metal, but still 80s retro style.
Awesome, the thanks.
I found The Midnight’s Monster in Atmos on Apple Music but not Tidal for some reason. There’s also an instrumental version of that album too.
enjoying it so far. It’s seriously filling a music gap for me.

Jarvis Cocker - CHANSONS d'ENNUI TIP-TOP
Tidal - https://tidal.com/album/201302904

Having watched The French Dispatch last night (great film, love Wes Anderson) thought I'd give this a spin... Sounds great! Nice mix and while I have no idea what's being said I'm really enjoying the music. Immersive mix credited to Sue Pelino who also did Sam Cooke - At The Copa and a couple of the Heart songs in Atmos. Hopefully she gets to do some of the Pulp stuff one day? Mixed like this it would sound great... :)

Jarvis Cocker - CHANSONS d'ENNUI TIP-TOP
Tidal - https://tidal.com/album/201302904

Having watched The French Dispatch last night (great film, love Wes Anderson) thought I'd give this a spin... Sounds great! Nice mix and while I have no idea what's being said I'm really enjoying the music. Immersive mix credited to Sue Pelino who also did Sam Cooke - At The Copa and a couple of the Heart songs in Atmos. Hopefully she gets to do some of the Pulp stuff one day? Mixed like this it would sound great... :)
I have to assume this album only came about because of the delay French Dispatch had with COVID, and thank god it did since it's such a fun tie in album.

Interesting choice for an Atmos mix….
I could be way off here (need to check my Q8 to be sure), but does anyone else think this might be adapted from the quad mix? The rears and heights sound like reverb-y reflections of what's in the fronts & sides, and the center seems to be a summation of either the fronts or fronts + sides.

I could be way off here (need to check my Q8 to be sure), but does anyone else think this might be adapted from the quad mix? The rears and heights sound like reverb-y reflections of what's in the fronts & sides, and the center seems to be a summation of either the fronts or fronts + sides.
It defo sounds a lot more discrete than what I was expecting from a legacy Warner 'Atmos' title... Not heard the quad itself, but if so... It could be an interesting development... ;)

It defo sounds a lot more discrete than what I was expecting from a legacy Warner 'Atmos' title... Not heard the quad itself, but if so... It could be an interesting development... ;)
It's not the quad - "Cisco Kid" off the Q8 has no guitars at all in the rears, whereas they are audible in the side channels of the Atmos mix.
I can imagine more interesting ways of mixing this album in Atmos, but I'll take this, just the same. Progress! (Plus, whatever tapes or transfer they used sound great!)

Last edited:
I can imagine more interesting ways of mixing this album in Atmos, but I'll take this, just the same. Progress! (Plus, whatever tapes or transfer they used sound great!)
I donno...as I listened to it all the way through (loving it!), the less convinced I was that it still isn't more or less double stereo with a summed center (and certain instruments somehow sounding more prominent in the center). Merely reverb overhead, though, which still constitutes an improvement, I guess. I'd like to isolate channels and, if possible, look at waveforms. Interested to hear others' impressions!

Last edited:
Back