making mfsl backup copies -sacd - dvd-a

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antigravitytea

how do i make a backup copy of sacd or dvda or what about mfsl - can i not find a way to store my music - make copies and use them as disposable since i have unlimited backups - or what? willy

Backups of SACD or DVD-A are almost impossible due to copyguards. MFSL cds are a different story. They can be ripped to a hard drive like any other cd.

Like Bob has said, any gold CD (MFSL, DCC, etc) can be copied either to another CD or to your iPod or hard drive.

An SACD layer cannot be copied, but can be "re-recorded" onto your hard drive as 6 wav files if you have the right equipment. However, you would then have to do something with these 6 files to create another disc, and it would NOT be an SACD. DTS, DD, or DVD-A would work.

The DVD-A HiRez layer is the most copy protected music format ever made. The watermark technology, AFAIK, has never been hacked. You can access the DD or DTS tracks as in any DVD-V, but no matter what anyone says, you cannot copy or re-record the HiRez DVD-Audio tracks and then create another DVD-Audio disc if the source disc is watermarked.

I've always thought that it was ironic that the most secure copy protection is on a format that no one ended up caring about at all! Too funny.

Like Bob has said, any gold CD (MFSL, DCC, etc) can be copied either to another CD or to your iPod or hard drive.

An SACD layer cannot be copied, but can be "re-recorded" onto your hard drive as 6 wav files if you have the right equipment. However, you would then have to do something with these 6 files to create another disc, and it would NOT be an SACD. DTS, DD, or DVD-A would work.

The DVD-A HiRez layer is the most copy protected music format ever made. The watermark technology, AFAIK, has never been hacked. You can access the DD or DTS tracks as in any DVD-V, but no matter what anyone says, you cannot copy or re-record the HiRez DVD-Audio tracks and then create another DVD-Audio disc if the source disc is watermarked.

I've always thought that it was ironic that the most secure copy protection is on a format that no one ended up caring about at all! Too funny.

and if chris and jon are right - seems like dvd-a ...sacd... and the like would be the ONLY format - if they cant be copied. and im being serious - you mean there is a format that cant be copied? and yet the widely available format is copyable? and the thought process OF THE RECORD COMPANIES is supposed to be - "we are dropping this format because of lack of interest (ebay shocker log ?)

i just dont feel sorry for the record companies - they seem to have a format that is desirable and not copyable but they still put out the copyable less desirable format and complain about product piracy when they might have a production cost of a nickel - and you hear about their complaints non-stop. when is a record company ceo going to get on ebay - or look at our shocker log - and see what is in demand - it amazes me seeing a 'long out of print' cd or dvd being resold for a lot of money - hey record companies - PRINT SOME MORE! ( I PAID 110 BUCKS FOR CRITERION COLLECTION SPINAL TAP - THIS IS NOT THE BEST EXAMPLE BECAUSE criterion PAYS FOR A LICENSE TO be able to put out a certain number of copies - but if theyre now out of print - buy another license and print some more - why let resellers make all that money and have all the fun? )

there is something awry with the demise of dvd-a/sacd other than piracy issues, obviously - because it seems they have that end wrapped up - and it cant be production costs...like with quad lp's - unless im wrong - a good ol' cd/dvd player will handle sacd or dvda - like my Chinese oppo!

willy

Back