Marantz 2240

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcsten

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
I have located a Marantz 2240 with the Sq-A module installed. Its $100, and is currently working. I am curious about the qs capabilities. I presume that it has the usual Vari-Matrix circuit. Is this a setup that will work for qs? I have never been really clear on how Marantz handled qs. Is there a setting that works well? I'm sure alot of you are running marantz receivers out there. What do you do for qs?
Marc

I don't think that any Marantz units were designed to support Sansui QS. The Vari-Matrix circuit is not to be confused with Sansui's patented Vario-Matrix technology. The Marantz Vari-matrix is a simple circuit which derives out-of-phase components from the normal stereo left-right.
Although moderately useful, for synthesizing quad from stereo sources, you nearly always hear what is in the rear channels duplicated in the front channels. It's a very simple circuit with no steering so to speak. So really it's totally useless as a QS decoder. I expect most Marantz owners discard the on-board SQ module and connect a Tate and a QSD-1 or 2. That's really the only way to go!

So Marantz units ignored qs all those years? That sucks. I'm guessing the sq isn't great either. Comparison to an SQD 2020?
Marc

If the amp is in good shape $100 is a good price. The SQ A module is front to back or half logic.

I have an SQA-2B and I'd say it's pretty good. It is very good at moving sound around - "ping-pong" type effects in particular, but sounds a little lacklustre for "ambient" quad.
Overall, not bad. It uses a three-chip design, effectively the Motorola MC series, but they substituted the decoding matrix chip for a Sony one. Very odd!
I only just stopped using the module in preference to my new Tate II.

Back