Marillion - Album 20 - An Hour Before It's Dark

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2B331FF9-9003-44A6-9C6E-ADB141225144.jpeg

The band is busy signing some 12,000 pre-orders in various formats today. And that # is just for those that opted to pay a little extra for the signatures.

Fudge - I just read a comment from the band’s manager that Mike Hunter is responsible for the 5.1 mix on the new album.

He has slowly been getting better with each release but sadly I don’t think he envisions surround in the same way that we do.

Hunter has done a fabulous job at being the architect of the band’s music for a very long time and his stereo mixes are really good.
But his 5.1 just leaves so little love.
Doesn’t help that no one in the band is particularly interested in 5.1.

☹️

Though perhaps not as spectacular as the two SW remixes, I thought Hunter did a better job with Afraid Of Sunlight and With Friends From The Orchestra than Andy Bradfield & Avril Mackintosh did with the Fish-era albums. Excited to hear Stephen Tayler's reworking of Holidays In Eden, maybe he can be their 5.1 guy going forward...

My pre-order from the band arrived today in Georgia.

It was dropped off about 15 minutes before I got an email from Townsand’s Marillion Store account telling me it was dispatched 🤣

So the great ying\yang of things threw one my way to balance the current score and delivered a day before the official release.

Still waiting for the Tears For Fears BluRay (no movement since the 18th).

Though perhaps not as spectacular as the two SW remixes, I thought Hunter did a better job with Afraid Of Sunlight and With Friends From The Orchestra than Andy Bradfield & Avril Mackintosh did with the Fish-era albums. Excited to hear Stephen Tayler's reworking of Holidays In Eden, maybe he can be their 5.1 guy going forward...
I thought that Andy Bradfield & Avril Mackintosh did a great 5.1 mix with Fugazi and was by far the most discrete surround mix of the 4 Fish era albums. I would like more mixes like the Fugazi 5.1 JMHO

I thought that Andy Bradfield & Avril Mackintosh did a great 5.1 mix with Fugazi and was by far the most discrete surround mix of the 4 Fish era albums. I would like more mixes like the Fugazi 5.1 JMHO
The Bradfield/Mackintosh 5.1 of Fugazi is THE TITTIES. Nothing I've heard from Hunter comes close.
I've heard most (if not all) of his Marillion MC output (except AHBID, which arrives soon) and I think With Friends from the Orchestra is is best, so far.

Last edited:
Back