Matrix quad on a reel?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boojidad

This one flew under my radar. A common Enoch Light Quad release on Project 3, but the reel version of it is not discrete. Check the box and the label. I'm surprised they'd release it that way at all, but the other question is, which matrix form? Project 3 was great for making the same albums available in multiple formats, so I don't know how to categorize this one. SQ, since it was most common? Or was it too early for that and probably EV?

R3894.jpg
R3894-2.jpg

Is it definitely stereo? I know Free Design/Kites are Fun came out of a discrete quad reel? Have you played it?

If its stereo it could be EV-4, QS or SQ as this title was released in all those formats on vinyl according to this thread:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Project3.htm

My vinyl is QS.

That should be a quad reel, even if it says stereo on the front. Not matrix. Project 3 was a marketing maniac machine.

But notice even the label shows Side A and Side B, which would seem to rule out discrete. Unless it actually plays straight through. I don't have the tape itself, just the pictures. I agree, quadtrade - Project 3 was a manic machine, with Mr Light firmly at the helm.

It is not uncommon for Project 3 to label them in this manor. One of my Enoch Light Project 3 tapes has "Program A" And "Program B". It is in 4 channel discrete.

Looks exactly like yours. Bet it's "Discrete".

ByTheWay...I am unable to post pictures for some unknown (to me) reason.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I know Project 3 reels I have basically use the same packaging as the stereo versions, with a quadraphonic label slapped on the box. But, what strikes me as odd in this case, is that I don't think there would be a stereo version of this reel, given the name of it is quadraphonic 4 channel stereo, so it doesn't make sense to design the labels and boxes with the layout of a stereo release, if in theory all copies are going to be quad. But...I would guess it's most likely discreet, and they just stuck to the standard formatting when designing the box and label. I guess the only way to know for sure if it's matrix or discreet would be playing it back.

But notice even the label shows Side A and Side B, which would seem to rule out discrete. Unless it actually plays straight through. I don't have the tape itself, just the pictures. I agree, quadtrade - Project 3 was a manic machine, with Mr Light firmly at the helm.

Looking at the running times given for the tracks, that's a lot of tape for such allegedly short sides. Maybe even more tape than would fit on one of those large-hub reels normally used for two-sided stereo releases.

And it is pretty weird
A strange demo of 4 channel
I have played it through the QSD1

Back