May 12, 1967: Pink Floyd Astounds With ‘Sound in the Round’ | This Day In Tech

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but I just listened to The Man & The Journey in quad today which I must say was awesome.

Oooups, "The man & The journey" in quad! Wow, where may I find that? Is it an upmix or the 'real thing'? :banana:

Attachments

• Pink Floyd's Azimuth Co-Ordinator surround sound controller.jpg
    Pink Floyd's Azimuth Co-Ordinator surround sound controller.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 175
Cool! I was looking for a pic earlier. Thanks.

The easiest way to do the same thing I know of is with a PS2 style controller like the Airflo and using Sony Vegas in 5.1 mode. You have to go into vegas and tell it to recognize the controller and I think it actually worked right away for me without programing it. But it is programmable as well.

As far as making an analog version I dunno how much it would cost to make. That would be a very cool idea for a DIY kit though if you find anything.

"1967: Pink Floyd performs the first-ever surround sound concert at “Games for May,” ..."

Wait just a second, first-ever surround sound concert? I think not. First ever surround sound rock concert, maybe.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. Someone needs to edit wikipedia and reference Stockhausen's Kontakte

Cool! I was looking for a pic earlier. Thanks.

The easiest way to do the same thing I know of is with a PS2 style controller like the Airflo and using Sony Vegas in 5.1 mode. You have to go into vegas and tell it to recognize the controller and I think it actually worked right away for me without programing it. But it is programmable as well.

As far as making an analog version I dunno how much it would cost to make. That would be a very cool idea for a DIY kit though if you find anything.

Wow, I wonder if you can record panning assignments with the PS2 style controller Airflo using Sony Vegas in 5.1 mode? But if not, at least you could digitally do a Quad concert using these tools.

Yeah, it works for panners or whatever you assign it to. It's been a couple years since I tried it though but if I remember right it was not without it's issues. Trying to remember but I think I didn't like how the sticks are spring loaded and return to the center instead of staying put where you leave them. If I was doing live sound I would upgrade to a midi controller as I think this should be much easier and more reliable.

I used a controller once on a music video I edited/co-directed for a friend/artist Mercury Waters. It really saved me some time with some quick rhythmic dissolves I was doing on the video.

Back