May Pang on John Lennon's Quad 8 Tracks!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I am putting together a "Beatles/Apple" quad page for QQ, and in doing some research on the wen, I found this!!

Newsgroups: rec.music.beatles
Subject: Re: Beatles 8 tracks
Date: 15 Feb 1995 00:43:09 -0500

Another quad 8 trk was "Walls & Bridges." Not all quad records put out by the different record companies were true quad. It involves a lot of re-mixing. John insisted that his records be true quad.

May Pang

Now that is a different opinion than I've heard previously about John's attitude on quad.

Of course, it's the internet, and you have to take it with a grain of salt! :smokin

Oh, by the way, can anyone get me a scan of the purple IMAGINE Q8, with and without the sleeve? Thanks! ( I have both types of the green, but I must have ebay'd my purple one.)

I am putting together a "Beatles/Apple" quad page for QQ, and in doing some research on the wen, I found this!!

Another quad 8 trk was "Walls & Bridges." Not all quad records put out by the different record companies were true quad. It involves a lot of re-mixing. John insisted that his records be true quad.

May Pang

Now that is a different opinion than I've heard previously about John's attitude on quad.

Of course, it's the internet, and you have to take it with a grain of salt! :smokin

That's a great idea to do the page and an interesting subject. The Quad solo Beatles stuff is some of my favorite music. Although muddy, like the Stereo mix, I like the "Imagine" Quad mix and a DVD-A release by Apple would be great.

What was your previous understanding of John's attitude towards Quad? We know Paul and Ringo are multi-channel aware and supporters of 5.1 today, what was their input on their Quad mixes? No George Harrison Quad? Why?

Here is my purple IMAGINE Q8. I lost the cover in the 70's. I have a cover from Venus and Mars I could scan with this if it would help.

Attachments

• imaginepurpQ8.jpg
    imaginepurpQ8.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 157
I spoke with May around 10 years ago. In fact when she was married to Tony Visconti(i think they divorced) we chatted a few times. I gave Tony a Mill and a bunch of CDs to get him going about what we were doing in 1997. I had met him in his NY studio involving Moodies and I gave him the sell. We were back several weeks later in NY and saw them at a Moody Blues concert(he did several Moodies LPs). May said at that time John really liked Quad and was somewhat involved in the mixes. In my opinion the problem with John was his inability to chose people that would make him sound better. His recordings after the Beatles always sounded dreadful in Stereo or Quad.

May Pang

John seemed to be of several different minds when it came to quad, just like he was with a bunch of other things. He often said he wasn't all that sold on stereo (he used to wear a "back to mono" button), and said it again in one of his last interviews with BBC radio in December 1980, when Andy Peebles asked him about the quad mixes. John said that Capitol asked him to mix "Walls & Bridges" in quad, so he did, and saying in an annoyed cartoon voice: "for the eight people who buy quad". He couldn't have been dead-set against it, otherwise it would not have happened.

Back