HiRez Poll Megadeth - PEACE SELLS, BUT WHO'S BUYING? [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Megadeth - PEACE SELLS, BUT WHO'S BUYING?

• Total voters
So, having just A/B'ed both versions myself, I agree with you that the vocal level is better in the official 2004 remaster.
The other version is just a quick, amateurish mixdown of the 5.1.

That version has the bass (much more, especially deep bass) that my ears want to hear and my chest wants to feel. And I don't ever feel blasted with treble (in either version).

On my multichannel systems, the vocal is never washed out, so that might be an artifact of the crude mixdown.
And on the same systems, all official stereo mixes are severely lacking the punch and power that I want in any heavy music.

So, all well in good that we disagree. There's no accounting for taste, right? But... I think the 5.1 mix is unfairly criticized, as the stereo album really sounds like s*#t, to me. Always has. I can enjoy the 5.1, at least.

Btw... I'm pretty sure I cover sonic issues in my review, even with the 5.1, so it's not like I said it's a great sounding mix or can't be improved. Only that it sounds best, to me.
I was going to leave like that, but I noticed that I replied to your post and not others here, so maybe a bit more context is in order:

- I have been reading this forum for quite some years already but as a "lurker" and never writing until recently. Since I have read a lot of your posts and watched almost all your YT reviews, for me it felt like I was just continuing a conversation, which I see now is not the case from your perspective :p
- I tend to agree with your opinions, especially on heavily distorted music which is not very popular in this forum. I see that you are also a big Megadeth fan like me so comparing perspectives with you seemed more fruitful than replying to the ones that voted below 5 in this poll.
- I was mostly disagreeing with this mix being a 9 and that considering the original recording it can not be improved that much (which I now get that I misunderstood). I would love another try, hell, I would love to remix it myself so I can get a hold of the original tracks.

Cheers!

I was going to leave like that, but I noticed that I replied to your post and not others here, so maybe a bit more context is in order:

- I have been reading this forum for quite some years already but as a "lurker" and never writing until recently. Since I have read a lot of your posts and watched almost all your YT reviews, for me it felt like I was just continuing a conversation, which I see now is not the case from your perspective :p
- I tend to agree with your opinions, especially on heavily distorted music which is not very popular in this forum. I see that you are also a big Megadeth fan like me so comparing perspectives with you seemed more fruitful than replying to the ones that voted below 5 in this poll.
- I was mostly disagreeing with this mix being a 9 and that considering the original recording it can not be improved that much (which I now get that I misunderstood). I would love another try, hell, I would love to remix it myself so I can get a hold of the original tracks.

Cheers!
Have you at least checked out the "demixes" of Devil's Island? Very cool stuff.

I have this on disc and have ripped it to 24/96 for listening via Roon in 5.1. I haven't listened to it for a long time but I seem to remember it was very shrill. I love the music so perhaps I should give it another spin and see what I think now?

I have this on disc and have ripped it to 24/96 for listening via Roon in 5.1. I haven't listened to it for a long time but I seem to remember it was very shrill. I love the music so perhaps I should give it another spin and see what I think now?
I enjoyed it much less before performing recent changes to my system, made allowable because my 5 year old son can now co-exist with high-end audio gear.
My room had massive compromises to keep the peace and minimize system damage.
With appropriate bass and a nicely balanced system, the 5.1 truly sounds much, much better than any available stereo source.
Still a flawed album, to be sure. Most of the budget was blown on drugs and reclaiming their gear from pawn shops, due to a member's severe drug habit.
But... an important album, for me, growing up in the SF Bay Area during the rise of thrash metal.

Yes, indeed, I loved they added that. I like the content, the demixes and the interviews. I am curious, what are the upgrades that you made to your system? Is there a video of that?
I'll do a system tour soon, due to requests.
Biggest improvement was moving my subs from the back of the room to the front. In addition to larger surrounds in the same series, better starting angles (placement) of several speakers, better seating position, and some slightly more tolerant surfaces in certain areas of the room.

This is one of the most undervalued albums in this poll.
I think this may be because it was listened to in DTS and not DVD-A. I had previously listened to this album in DTS and was not satisfied, but then I bought a player with a DVD-A decoder and I must admit that the difference is big. The multi-channel mix is really good, the rear channels are engaged, the room is filled with sound when listening. The content may not be the best in the band's entire discography, but it's still good. I gave it a 9

Back