Mobile Fidelity - the digital step in MFSL vinyl debacle

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll probably NEVER know the true story, JJ .... but I know CDJapan received a lot of pre~orders for BOTW and then had to cancel! Ironically, all those Q8 and SQ vinyl copies are in the hands of many collectors and SONY/Paul Simon did sign a more lucrative deal with MoFi for their 1 step vinyl version and we may never hear what SONY Japan might've accomplished with their QUAD SACD remaster in special 7" packaging ... nor for that matter BOOKENDS which I understand was likewise fully remixed into QUAD!

https://www.vinylpussycat.com/product/simon-and-garfunkel-bridge-over-troubled-water-quad/
My solution to this "keep it as original" debacle: Before releasing any recorded material, every artist (and other person in the music and recording industry) would be required to obtain at least a bachelors degree in engineering. Thus they shall be destined to spend their entire lives messing with their recordings attempting to "make them better."

As Hemmer, the ship's chief engineer on Star Trek says, his purpose is "to fix what is broken." May I add, "and if it ain't broke, fool with it anyway (Atmos) just for the hell of it."

H.jpg

We'll probably NEVER know the true story, JJ .... but I know CDJapan received a lot of pre~orders for BOTW and then had to cancel! Ironically, all those Q8 and SQ vinyl copies are in the hands of many collectors and SONY/Paul Simon did sign a more lucrative deal with MoFi for their 1 step vinyl version and we may never hear what SONY Japan might've accomplished with their QUAD SACD remaster in special 7" packaging ... nor for that matter BOOKENDS which I understand was likewise fully remixed into QUAD!

https://www.vinylpussycat.com/product/simon-and-garfunkel-bridge-over-troubled-water-quad/
Vinyl Pussycat.... brand new site for me. Guess I know what I'll be exploring after breakfast. Thanks!

coming April 1st, running across 18 sides of 78rpm 300g hand-pressed gold-plated diamond-encrusted pure untouched by human hands virgin vinyl, the Money Fleecing Shyster Label presents their next digitally sourced, analogically labelled "One Step forward, Two Steps back" release, "The Royal Scam"... yours for only $9,999.99 (tax, handling, shipping and provenance not included) πŸ‘€πŸ˜…πŸ€£

coming April 1st, running across 18 sides of 78rpm 300g hand-pressed gold-plated diamond-encrusted pure untouched by human hands virgin vinyl, the Money Fleecing Shyster Label presents their next digitally sourced, analogically labelled "One Step forward, Two Steps back" release, "The Royal Scam"... yours for only $9,999.99 (tax, handling, shipping and provenance not included) πŸ‘€πŸ˜…πŸ€£
But is it MQA encoded?

See the source image

BTW, in looking over the credits for BOTW, Roy Halee, S&G's chief engineer is listed in the QUAD remix credits so what gives ..... I'm sure Paul had input when the 4.0 remix was performed

Credits [BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER QUAD REMIX]:

Producer – Roy Halee
Producer – Paul Simon
Photography – Peter Powell
Producer – Art Garfunkel
Photography – Abbott Mills
Keyboards – Larry Knechtel
Guitar – Paul Simon
Guitar – Fred Carter, Jr.
Engineer [Recordist] – Ted Brosnan
Engineer [Quadraphonic Remix Engineer], Supervised By [Quadraphonic Sound Supervision] – Roy Halee
Drums – Hal Blaine
Design – Tony Lane (2)
Bass – Joe Osborn
Strings – Ernie Freeman
Strings – Jimmie Haskell
Supervised By [Quadraphonic Sound Supervision] – Roy Halee
Written-By – Paul Simon

Fredblue said
9DBD2FEA-49DB-4250-AB76-D5376613A96E.png

BTW, in looking over the credits for BOTW, Roy Halee, S&G's chief engineer is listed in the QUAD remix credits so what gives ..... I'm sure Paul had input when the 4.0 remix was performed

Credits [BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER QUAD REMIX]:

Producer – Roy Halee
Producer – Paul Simon
Photography – Peter Powell
Producer – Art Garfunkel
Photography – Abbott Mills
Keyboards – Larry Knechtel
Guitar – Paul Simon
Guitar – Fred Carter, Jr.
Engineer [Recordist] – Ted Brosnan
Engineer [Quadraphonic Remix Engineer], Supervised By [Quadraphonic Sound Supervision] – Roy Halee
Drums – Hal Blaine
Design – Tony Lane (2)
Bass – Joe Osborn
Strings – Ernie Freeman
Strings – Jimmie Haskell
Supervised By [Quadraphonic Sound Supervision] – Roy Halee
Written-By – Paul Simon
yes and it makes even less sense that PS would have a major problem with the Quads since his Solo Quads were mixed by all his trusted Producers/Engineers who did the albums themselves; Roy Halee did the S/T eponyonyonymousss album and Quad, then Phil Ramone did Rhymin' Simon Stereo and Quad and then its presumed Ramone also mixed Still Crazy Stereo and Quad - although Bill Sczyzyzyzyzmzyk (sorry, i always get his name wrong) mixed Art Garfunkel's Breakaway Quad and so some have surmised he mixed the latter PS album in Quad too.

ah i dunno.. we've had both Art Garfunkel Quads on Dutton SACDs and BOTW and 2 of the Paul Simon Quads are in 360 Reality Audio on TIDAL.. i really think its something else that's prevented the BOTW Quad and PS' solo Quads from appearing on SACD, etc all this time. anyway we're kinda way off topic now!! πŸ§πŸ˜…

edit: Bill Schnee did the Art Garfunkel Breakaway Remix & Quad mix, not Bill Sczyzyzyzyzmzyk. phew.

Last edited:
Fredblue said
View attachment 81598
waaaahaaaaa..!!!! 🀣🀣🀣
i don't know how they recover from this tbh? their reputation seems irretrievably tarnished.

waaaahaaaaa..!!!! 🀣🀣🀣
i don't know how they recover from this tbh? their reputation seems irretrievably tarnished.
I see a great shift in discretionary spending leaving California and instead going to Kansas.
Chad’s documentary video came out at exactly the right time.
In 1999 when the previous owners were going out of business , the staff there nicknamed the place Mobile Fatality.
But the bad decisions they made then were stock decisions.. like 500 empty boxes of Cat Stevens last 3 titles with no cds to fill them)(that nobody was buying anyway)
And 500 gold discs of teaser and the firecat with no artwork,(sitting on teonix platters) because theyd wasted so much money on the 3 disc box set.
They weren’t problems where theyd insulted the vinyl customers for the last 7 years.

Last edited:
yes and it makes even less sense that PS would have a major problem with the Quads since his Solo Quads were mixed by all his trusted Producers/Engineers who did the albums themselves; Roy Halee did the S/T eponyonyonymousss album and Quad, then Phil Ramone did Rhymin' Simon Stereo and Quad and then its presumed Ramone also mixed Still Crazy Stereo and Quad - although Bill Sczyzyzyzyzmzyk (sorry, i always get his name wrong) mixed Art Garfunkel's Breakaway Quad and so some have surmised he mixed the latter PS album in Quad too.

ah i dunno.. we've had both Art Garfunkel Quads on Dutton SACDs and BOTW and 2 of the Paul Simon Quads are in 360 Reality Audio on TIDAL.. i really think its something else that's prevented the BOTW Quad and PS' solo Quads from appearing on SACD, etc all this time. anyway we're kinda way off topic now!! πŸ§πŸ˜…
Well, my dear Adam, there has to be only one inscrutable rationale .....

Image 1 - Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years -  MOFI One Step - Sealed - Mint

Vinyl playback errors may also masquerade as ambience. Pivoted tonearms, even properly set up, only provide two points on the LP where the stylus is tangential to the groove. Everywhere else, the slight angular offset introduces phase shifts, especially at high frequencies. You can see this on an oscilloscope. Also, channel separation in phono cartriges can be all over the map, depending on the quality of the cartridge and the care in setup. Right channel bleeds to left, left to right. Combined with the phase shift, you get "ambience" that may not exist in the LP itself. I can sound great, though.
The math behind tracking error shows that the phase shift caused by the slight offset in the pickup angle is not sufficient to generate an ambiance effect.

The ambience effects I hear are not just a feeling of room acoustics. I hear audience noises (chair noises, giggles, distant shouts, etc) between songs on the record. They are gone on the CD.

Well, my dear Adam, there has to be only one inscrutable rationale .....

Image 1 - Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years -  MOFI One Step - Sealed - Mint

i'd rather play my SQ LP
and Q8 8-track! πŸ˜…πŸ€£

they may sound like shit by comparison but at leasy they're 1.) Quad and 2.) All-Analogue!!! πŸ₯°

edit: fluck you MOFISL! you can keep your one step wonders! you'll never take my Quad babies (or my Kodachrome) away...!! πŸ˜πŸ“ΈπŸ˜πŸ“ΈπŸ˜πŸ“ΈπŸ˜

DDC88765-5A05-429C-87F0-859E15CD641A.jpeg

1EAD3E1A-5DDF-4F96-8A7E-5C9E51EBA09F.jpeg

🎢 "Honesty... Honesty...
it's such a waste of energy,
You don't have to lie to me,
Just give me some tenderness
Beneath your honesty...
" 🎢

Last edited:
The math behind tracking error shows that the phase shift caused by the slight offset in the pickup angle is not sufficient to generate an ambiance effect.

The ambience effects I hear are not just a feeling of room acoustics. I hear audience noises (chair noises, giggles, distant shouts, etc) between songs on the record. They are gone on the CD.
sounds like some kind of microphony going on at the turntable end of things.. πŸ€”

is this ambience phenomenon what you are experiencing with the record changer you posted a photo of on here the other day?

Oh man! Do you think they'll release a 105rpm version on 36 sides? (Single sided of course!)

Yeah, the new Robert Fripp box set has a digital copy of the League of Gentlemen album on bluray. I can't hear the "indescretions" talking between songs at all on the digital copy! Clear as day on the vinyl!

Of course this is because they are different mixes and those parts were intentionally omitted from the mixes.

Is this genuine unawareness?

I have several records that I also have on CD. Many of them have much more ambient content than the CD does.

I can think of several reasons why this was done:

1. The ambience was garbled by being down in the sampling mud and was expanded out.
2. The record company did a remix.
3. Someone at the record company hates ambience content and had it removed.
Limiting and compression of the audio during the record mastering process to keep the low level audio above the noise floor of vinyl and limit the peaks so there's no skipping or mistracking makes those low level sounds (ambience, reverb, background sounds etc) more audible in playback. That's what I've noticed.

I have several records that I also have on CD. Many of them have much more ambient content than the CD does.
IF they came from the same master, and they never are,
A combination of surface noise and vinyls inherent distortions.
I'll bet that "ambient content" changes as the needle goes from the outside have several records that I also have on CD. Many of them have much more ambient content than the CD does. grooves to the inner ones. ;)

sounds like some kind of microphony going on at the turntable end of things.. πŸ€”

is this ambience phenomenon what you are experiencing with the record changer you posted a photo of on here the other day?
No way. I hear the same sounds each time I play these records. It also happens every time I play these live albums and no matter where I play them or what I play them on (I have three different turntables). The effect is less evident when played in stereo than it is in Dolby Surround.

Someone monkeyed with the sound when making the CDs.

Last edited:
Back