Modern all in one H T receivers = LAME

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YIKES! Even the $5000 Denon 5808 only has 150 per!

[AVR-5308CI] ** NEW ** Reference A/V Multi-Source/Zone Network Streaming Receiver

150 Watts x 7 Channels
Audyssey MultEQ Pro calibration installer ready
Audyssey MultEQ XT Auto-Setup/Room EQ
HD Radio with simulcast capability
XM Radio Ready
Ethernet Internet Radio
DDSC-HD Digital surround circuitry
Dolby True HD and DD+
dts-HD Master Audio
DENON LINK III
THX® Ultra2 certified
PlaysForSure connectivity
EL backlit learning remote & second zone remote

Here's another monster. 400 watts X 7 @ 8 ohms

http://www.sunfire.com/TGA7400.html

You would be hard pressed to find more power in one component. $4,500.00 but any reputable dealer would knock $800.00 off that. That's pricey, but still considered a bargain compared to other amplifiers in it's class.

Anthem Audio also makes some great amps, however their higher powered models come in 2-ch and 5-ch, so you need to buy both for a 7.1 set up. They certainly look impressive combined with the Statement D-2.

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/Products/P_Series/P_Series.html
http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/Products/D2/D2.html

Hey, we can dream can't we?

Can anyone recommend a 7.1 H T amp that outputs a minimum 300 watts per channel?

Justin

A 300 watt amplifier is only 3dB louder than a 150 watt one, and 6dB louder than a 75 watt one. Rather than trying to find a "louder" amplifier, it might be more feasible to use more efficient speakers. As a rule of thumb, to get TWICE the volume, you need TEN TIMES the amplifier power.

Also, be careful that you understand that power ratings on their own are useless ... and in mid-fi circles it is just a numbers game. Many manufacturers quote HT receiver power ratings with ONE CHANNEL DRIVEN ... hardly a realistic way to listen to a surround sound system. The reason this is done is to wow the uninformed with a bigger number. Let's face it, receiver power supplies can only be so big and still fit in the confines of its cabinet sleeve.

Be careful as well that you know the continuous RMS power ratings, and know the frequency range that the power is delivered. I have a 100 wpc Yamaha home theatre receiver in my bedroom with a pretty efficient 5.1-ch set of Paradigm speakers. In my main home theatre/quad room (more than twice the size of my bedroom) I use a 6.1-ch pre/pro with 3 Bryston stereo power amplifiers with "only" 60 watts per channel. Even though the speakers are quite a bit less efficient, the "low-powered" Bryston set-up is a LOT louder than my bedroom system.

Just don't get caught up in the numbers game. Mike.

Here's another monster. 400 watts X 7 @ 8 ohms

http://www.sunfire.com/TGA7400.html

You would be hard pressed to find more power in one component. $4,500.00 but any reputable dealer would knock $800.00 off that. That's pricey, but still considered a bargain compared to other amplifiers in it's class.

Anthem Audio also makes some great amps, however their higher powered models come in 2-ch and 5-ch, so you need to buy both for a 7.1 set up. They certainly look impressive combined with the Statement D-2.

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/Products/P_Series/P_Series.html
http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/Products/D2/D2.html

Hey, we can dream can't we?

Dennis:

Thanks for the link. Some dreams are worth trying to live! :banana:

Justin

A 300 watt amplifier is only 3dB louder than a 150 watt one, and 6dB louder than a 75 watt one. Rather than trying to find a "louder" amplifier, it might be more feasible to use more efficient speakers. As a rule of thumb, to get TWICE the volume, you need TEN TIMES the amplifier power.

Also, be careful that you understand that power ratings on their own are useless ... and in mid-fi circles it is just a numbers game. Many manufacturers quote HT receiver power ratings with ONE CHANNEL DRIVEN ... hardly a realistic way to listen to a surround sound system. The reason this is done is to wow the uninformed with a bigger number. Let's face it, receiver power supplies can only be so big and still fit in the confines of its cabinet sleeve.

Be careful as well that you know the continuous RMS power ratings, and know the frequency range that the power is delivered. I have a 100 wpc Yamaha home theatre receiver in my bedroom with a pretty efficient 5.1-ch set of Paradigm speakers. In my main home theatre/quad room (more than twice the size of my bedroom) I use a 6.1-ch pre/pro with 3 Bryston stereo power amplifiers with "only" 60 watts per channel. Even though the speakers are quite a bit less efficient, the "low-powered" Bryston set-up is a LOT louder than my bedroom system.

Just don't get caught up in the numbers game. Mike.

Mike:

Thanks for the advice. I love the sound I get from my vintage JBL speakers (4312 X 7 and B-460 sub) and really don't want to give them up. I been having trouble for years keeping the four dbx power amps healthy and operational since dbx got out of the consumer home electronics business. I am starting to scout around for power replacement options.

Justin

Mike:

Thanks for the advice. I love the sound I get from my vintage JBL speakers (4312 X 7 and B-460 sub) and really don't want to give them up. I been having trouble for years keeping the four dbx power amps healthy and operational since dbx got out of the consumer home electronics business. I am starting to scout around for power replacement options.

Justin

You are quite welcome. Your JBLs are quite efficient though, so I can't imagine needing more than 100 REAL wpc to produce ear-splitting volumes. Parasound make some nice amplifiers (and there are lots of used ones around) if Bryston is a bit out of the price range ... although a 20-year transferable Bryston warranty is pretty hard to overlook. (y)

Proton Amps if you can find them; usually 2 channel but there some 5 channel versions. The headroom (huge factor) is insane and they do stretch (DPD*) from their very conservative ratings to handle 600 watt peaks with ease as needed.

Dynamic Power on Demand

Aside from which, if you are using an active subwoofer, it's doing most of the heavy lifting. 110 wpc from an AVR , used purely for-high passed speakers, is MORE THAN ENOUGH unless you have extremely inefficient speakers, and like to play them at insane levels.

So my question is for the guyz that run a modern all in one H T reciever for thier main quad/mc duties, How can you guyz deal?
I use a mid priced HT receiver for all my quadraphonic (as well as SACD, DVD-A, dtsCD) listening and find that it plays as loud as I have ever wanted it to play. My room is on the small side at 11.5’ by 13’ and my speakers are on the low side of the sensitivity curve at 82dB/W/m.

I use a mid priced HT receiver for all my quadraphonic (as well as SACD, DVD-A, dtsCD) listening and find that it plays as loud as I have ever wanted it to play. My room is on the small side at 11.5’ by 13’

Me too and my room is fairly small and I sit pretty much in the centre of the room.

Aside from which, if you are using an active subwoofer, it's doing most of the heavy lifting. 110 wpc from an AVR , used purely for-high passed speakers, is MORE THAN ENOUGH unless you have extremely inefficient speakers, and like to play them at insane levels.

SSULLY:

The JBL B460 is an 18" unpowered subwoofer rated at 800 watts. At this time I have it operating off of a 350 watt amp that can get very warm but has not tripped the internal protection circuit since I upgraded the speaker wire from 14 to 12 gauge. I remember one of the first TELARC demo cd's would really give it a workout.

Justin

Doesn't sound like much as most home theater receivers are that or a little more BUT with the Sony's, we are talking 100 pre 1980 wpc which would be close to 300 wpc today.

I've never understood this. What do you mean that older stuff is rated different? I know my vintage system really screams, but is is actually rated differently? How do you convert it to newer wattage ratings?

The FTC forced the industry to standardize output ratings (RMS, both/all channels driven, 8/? ohm load, ?% THD) back in the early 1970's. What's being alleuded to is the change of internal amp design, the importance of amperage, headroom, damping factor and more have changed over time. It can make vintage gear seem as loud, louder or better overall than the later gear.

Back