Modern Day Quadraphonic Sound??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skylineivan

Great Community! I am proud to be here with you all. However, I am trying to understand something and am having a very hard time getting information from anyone or even anything on the internet. I am a music producer. I want to deliver my music in a Quadraphonic format to my listeners. My questions are:

1.) Do any of the smartphones, mp3 players, etc. have the ability to stream or play a multichannel music file? From what I've found, they only deliver Stereo sound but there MUST be a way (plugin, app) that can do this?

2.) What medium do I have to use in order to get the music to my listeners? I understand that CD is not an option so I assume that I could do a Quadraphonic mix on DVD and/or Blu Ray? Is that true and are those my only options?

I would love to be able to stream music in a 4 channel format but keep hitting a brick wall when trying to get ANY info. on how multi channel audio is being used in today's environments.

I appreciate everyone on this page and am looking forward to any insight regarding my questions.

I apologize if they are uneducated, but like I stated, I am a newbie when it comes to producing in 4 channel audio.

Respectfully,
--Ivan

Skylineivan welcome to community and some answers to your questions.

1. yes, if signal has been coded as multi channel stream into acceptable for such devices formats.
2. from vinyl record to a downloadable files and everything in between

how multi channel audio is being used in today's environments

1. from mobile devices through headphones or by sending signal to stand alone surround sound system.
2. from physical medium: LP record, open reel, cassette, Dolby Surround CD, DTS-CD, Audio only DVD, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD, Blu Ray Audio.
3. from computers through wide variety of different formats of audio files.

Thanks Otto. Question, so If I have created my album in 4 discrete channels, and have 4 speakers being fed by say, a 4 channel Class T amp, doesnt it still play through an iphone, smartphone, mp3 player, etc,...in Stereo? I would need a multichannel DAC somewhere in that chain, correct?

well, if amplification lacking decoding capabilities and doesn't have HDMI interface, then yes DAC is needed.
it seems your interest directed toward most easily accessible way to utilize surround for an average users without need to go into additional expenses.
if so, you may need to research and deploy opportunities of AAC encoding (particularly HE-AAC) as all modern mobile devices are supporting this format
and simple HDMI connection is enough to allow 5.1 sound from mobile device on an external amplification.
you should notice, albeit AAC is supporting up to 96khz 24bit it's still lossy format, sort like DTS 94/24

When it comes to mp3 headphone listening you could try utilization of matrix quad material.I listen to some matrix encoded music (SQ, QS, MP) via my mp3 player that I have downloaded from various encoded discs.The result varies somewhat and trial and error and a good headphone (open air preferred) should give you some pleasing results.This effect is a form of BINAURAL surround listening.My phones are bud and I achieve somewhat of four channel decode with this type of listening.These findings were reported back in the mid 70's by SANSUI (QS) and the late BEN BAUER of (SQ) CBS LABS and articles regarding this phenomenon should be available on the web.Our own hearing and the human brain become the decoder.Again, I emphasize the results vary and in my case I only use ear buds.Some encoded material may encode more accurately than others which could be the result of the engineering mix in quad-the quality of the encode, a great quad mix, and even the matrix used.This method of quad listening should be tried in order for you to make your own decision.

Kal, thank you...again! lol Is it because it has the HDMI input? You stated that the MINIDSP 2X4 was stereo, but isn't that what the smartphone is outputting? Stereo? I thought that 2X4 meant Stereo into 4 channels? Im a Newbie so please forgive me if this is a dumb question.
I have no experience with playing music from a smart phone but, yes, the output is stereo. The miniDSP 2x4 will output 4 channels but will not synthesize them to create the desired spatial separation.

There are two questions that do not seem to me to have been clarified for the understanding of a newbie.

1. How do you "deliver" surround sound?
2. How do you "receive" or play back surround sound?

These questions both assume the surround sound has already been created. Let's continue to assume that you have an existing, good, discrete surround sound recording.

Your first question is this: 1.) Do any of the smartphones, mp3 players, etc. have the ability to stream or play a multichannel music file? From what I've found, they only deliver Stereo sound but there MUST be a way (plugin, app) that can do this?

Keep in mind that technically a smart phone in this context is a digital storage device. That is to say, it is capable of holding any digital file - a photo, a document, a spreadsheet, an audio recording - providing the file size does not exceed the capacity of the onboard storage memory. These devices can act as a reproducer of these media: I can see a photo, I can read a document, I can listen to a stereo sound... but they are capable of holding other files that they may not be able to directly reproduce. This is what Otto is referring to when he says "sending signal to stand alone surround sound system." In that case he is using the smart phone like an external hard drive, and playing the surround file through an outboard sound system.

You question seems to be asking if modern digital devices are meant to offer direct outputs to a portable surround listening system. I am not personally aware of such a system. I have received a few promotional emails promoting this product:

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-tiamat-71

It is designed for so-called "gaming." Has anyone here tried to adapt this to surround music applications? Could the manufacturer be contacted to modify their product? Perhaps a small outboard decoder could interface with the phones via the existing USB connection to decode files????

Fizzywiggs41 is referring to "BINAURAL surround listening," which is still two channel listening which gives some sense of surround effect, such as "Q sound," which was used at least in Roger Waters' Amused To Death and Pink Floyd's The Final Cut. These are still not discrete multichannel listening experiences, which is what I think your question is addressing.

I know of nothing portable other than the product I refer to above. Perhaps you could invent a headband or a hat that would have small external speakers? Could be a fun experiment, and then the sound would not change as you swivel your head. But neither would it be a "private" experience because you would be broadcasting the sound aloud. Maybe a helmet would work - be the life of every party!

Your second question is an encoding/delivery question:

2.) What medium do I have to use in order to get the music to my listeners? I understand that CD is not an option so I assume that I could do a Quadraphonic mix on DVD and/or Blu Ray? Is that true and are those my only options?

There are at least two digital stream delivery options that can encode discrete multichannel music.

1. There is DTS encoding which CAN in fact be recorded onto a normal blank CD disc, but the format is "lossy" like mp3, so many here do not prefer it. DTS also requires extreme caution, because without a decoder it is just digital static, and if it were included in a device set to "shuffle" it could possibly hurt the ears of a listener in headphones. So a DTS recording would want to be stored in a location that was not accessed by the normal stereo player.

2. There are also multichannel FLAC files, which are lossless. I am no expert on these, but certainly they could be played through an app so long as they are delivered to some external playback system of speakers, as discussed above.

3. AAC encoding (particularly HE-AAC) is mentioned above. I don't know about this, but others here do. For all I know this is what is used in FLAC. Someone else can elaborate to enlighten us all.

So as I read your question, the problem with "Modern Day" listening is that you hope to move the surround experience out of the "Olden Day" fixed listening environment of a home multichannel playback system which is not practically transportable. If my assessment is correct, the solution would be the product above or the suggested invention, or some variation of those.

Back