Oppo 205 help

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luckely i got a OPPO 205 in very good condition. As my mainly interest is in hires Audio-Multichannel audio and streaming,
my knowledge in video is restricted...
I understand what the basic/regulary 205 can do, BUT i do not
understand the optional sw what is called JB or jail breake sw.
I guess its to remove the country code ? but what are the additional "features" ?
For what they are, what can i do with them, what the name/descripition ?

As i wrote, my main interest is in Multichannel audio like DVD_A and much more in MCH audio on blue ray.
My final goal is to rip that MCh-Bd to my PC so i can access them for streaming with my Trinnov and ROON and other application(for more then 8 Channels).

So please help me here first to know what i can do with that "optional" JB sw and your experience to use it.
As far as i understand, i have to go over the HDMI interface to my Trinnov Altitude 32.
What can i do with the network and in which format and how should /have to-/ store it on my PC ?

Sorry for so many basic questions here, i hope i will learn very fast so hopefully i can ask next time less questions.
Thanks for any help.
Robert

The JB firmware simply unlocks features that the manufacturer was forced to disable or cripple due to DRM.
Probably the most useful is the ability to read ISO files. This allows you to store your complete discs in a single file and have the Oppo read them over a network.
This alone is worth the price of admission.

Tread lightly on this subject in this forum.

Last edited:
Not only do you need to tread lightly a bit on this forum but also you need to be aware that unless the "jailbreak" is a piece of hardware that you can remove and replace at will or a piece of software that you can remove and put back the original, Oppo who as of this date will still perform repairs on their players in the USA at least, will not work on units that have been modified. Just something to keep in mind.

I received my BDP-83 from Oppo repair last week, they replaced the spindle and drawer. It has a card between a ribbon cable and connector to make it region free that I installed. It is still there.
Their service is the best!
They're still repairing the 83? I have one that is not working, I will have to contact them...

I used a file from Oppo Australia to open up my 105, simply because I picked up a BD of Woodstock that was made in Italy. It now plays fine.

I previously had a BD of Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version of “War of the Worlds” that had a warning to US buyers, but it played fine all along. Which just means I have no freaking idea how region encoding works.

I used a file from Oppo Australia to open up my 105, simply because I picked up a BD of Woodstock that was made in Italy. It now plays fine.
The software is called 'superdisc' or 'superdisk' and it's specifically for making the player region-code free when playing DVD's - not Blu-ray discs.

If you need to make your OPPO region-code free when playing 2K Blu-ray discs, you'll need to install a 'third party' hardware chip-set (there are internal or external models).

There is another method that involves re-flashing your players firmware and software. But it's not for faint hearted...

The software is called 'superdisc' or 'superdisk' and it's specifically for making the player region-code free when playing DVD's - not Blu-ray discs.

If you need to make your OPPO region-code free when playing 2K Blu-ray discs, you'll need to install a 'third party' hardware chip-set (there are internal or external models).

There is another method that involves re-flashing your players firmware and software. But it's not for faint hearted...
The “Woodstock” I referenced is a BD, and it would not play before the jailbreak and it does now.

Reflashing my Oppo 103 (jailbreaking) required buying the firmware, a few parts, and opening up the unit and using the firmware flash port. But it opens up more playing options than the super_disk route.
But whatever the option it's all about what you want or need.

Reflashing my Oppo 103 (jailbreaking) required buying the firmware, a few parts, and opening up the unit and using the firmware flash port. But it opens up more playing options than the super_disk route.
But whatever the option it's all about what you want or need.
Curious as to what else, beyond making your unit region-free, you may have wanted. Hell, I might want it, too.

FWIW, my oppo is a 105D.

Back