Mr. Big “Lean Into It” - Dolby Atmos mix now available as a lossless download!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the SACD, and compared all the different files from the Download with the SACD dsf files. (Struggled a bit to get the MKV to play).
I used the "To Be With You" as the comparing track.
I stream the files through ROON and play them via a 6 channel analogue DAC. (I cannot play the ATMOS version as ATMOS, since I pass the bitstream through the analogue DAC).

And I was pleased to hear the FLAC download as being the most definitive, clear and smooth sounding result.

Voice was perfect, up front and centre (in the room), with the surrounds perfectly filled with subtle and not so subtle sounds.

More multichannel Downloads of popular product; Please!!

I just use VLC to bitstream MKV to the AVR. Not tried with PowerDVD, although I use PowerDVD for .iso of BD's.
Pretty sure I could play on the Oppo off my network but I just don't use it much these days.

I like to think I did my homework in choosing a downloadable Atmos format for the site to use. The lossy MP4s seem to be the easiest to play, both my Sony X800 and Playstation 3 will bitstream them to my AVR from a USB drive as well as my Western Digital NAS. The lossless MKVs won't play through the X800 or PS3, but they will bitstream over HDMI from both my MacBook Pro (VLC Media Player) and Asus Vivobook PC (from VLC and the native Windows "Movies & TV" video player). Plus, @ar surround mentions upthread that they bitstream properly through his Oppo 205. MKAs will play through VLC media player, but are unrecognized by Windows Movies & TV. Same goes for M2TS (I'm not even sure how you'd author one of those, I'm guessing it requires a Blu-Ray authoring suite?). I've been told by other members that M4As will bitstream properly through Kodi, but I haven't personally tested that.

None of these formats seem to have as wide acceptance and ease-of-use as 5.1 FLACs, but the MKVs seemed the best choice based on my testing above. From a Windows PC in particular playback is really simple, you just double-click the file and it plays in Windows Movies & TV. Plus, I just had a client actually deliver their most recent album in professionally-authored MKV (usually they just send me an ADM and I have to do all the necessary conversions/authoring) - so maybe the format is catching on in the professional sphere.

Same goes for M2TS (I'm not even sure how you'd author one of those, I'm guessing it requires a Blu-Ray authoring suite?).

tsMuxeR could be used? It can even generate a Blu-ray ISO file (or AVCHD) that are other formats seen for Atmos downloads. I'm using this tool to demux and then mux the tracks in other containers.
Not sure what input tracks will suport for the muxing.

Perhaps a Blu-Ray authoring suite would not be necessary, unles a more professional menu is needed.

tsMuxeR could be used? It can even generate a Blu-ray ISO file (or AVCHD) that are other formats seen for Atmos downloads. I'm using this tool to demux and then mux the tracks in other containers.
Not sure what input tracks will suport for the muxing.

Perhaps a Blu-Ray authoring suite would not be necessary, unles a more professional menu is needed.
Can confirm all you need is some type of muxing solution to produce M2TS files, Blu-ray authoring suites are not required. You still need to be able to encode Atmos, however. In fact you can actually get away with making a working Blu-ray with just eac3to/tsMuxeR and Notepad (albiet without a menu unless you're sadistic).
I actually remember there being a commercial Blu-ray that was released that was completely authored without a Blu-ray authoring suite, though I can't seem to remember what it was.
Pointless bringing it up as there's very competent Blu-ray authoring freeware out there.

I actually remember there being a commercial Blu-ray that was released that was completely authored without a Blu-ray authoring suite, though I can't seem to remember what it was.
Maybe this is not what you are referring to, because it is a DVD-A (not Blu-ray)

I remember Giancarlo Erra (@nosound) released a surround mix with Tim Bowness "Warm Winter" as "Memories of Machines", in a DVD-A without a commercial DVD-A authoring software, just using some 'old' software he had. Menus are a little "horrible" but we could have access to Hi-Res MLP DVD-A in a DVD. :)

Maybe this is not what you are referring to, because it is a DVD-A (not Blu-ray)

I remember Giancarlo Erra (@nosound) released a surround mix with Tim Bowness "Warm Winter" as "Memories of Machines", in a DVD-A without a commercial DVD-A authoring software, just using some 'old' software he had. Menus are a little "horrible" but we could have access to Hi-Res MLP DVD-A in a DVD. :)
Yes. Giancarlo uses one of the audio suites (he told me in one thread what it was) and he can author a simple DVDA. Might be in the Departure Tapes thread.

I’ve only ever gotten it to play .MLP, .EC3, and MP4.
That's pretty much my experience, although you can rename m4a to mp4 and get by often.,
I was given some sample .m2ts files that were created using DD+ atmos and told the files would play for him, but I had no luck with them. I believe they were created using the eac3to gui.

FLAC are 5.1 Hi-Res 24 bit, 96 kHz
MKV are Atmos in Dolby TrueHD ==> same as on Blu-Rays
MP4 are Dolby Digital Plus with Dolby Atmos ==> same as streaming services like TIDAL

MKV has a still picture as video.
MP4 has no video. Same structure as M4A (only audio). But some players could not play well either M4A, MP4. Just renaming the file works OK for me for Oppo and DUNE.

I did buy this release, looking for the Hi-Res Atmos TrueHD.

For other releases in the past I have found more difference between streaming Atmos DD+ and its corresponding Blu-Ray.

But with this Mr Big from IAA, I have found less difference between Atmos DD+ and Atmos TrueHD than expected. May be my ears/equipment is the issue, or perhaps the mastering/encoding with DD+ is good enough.

Anyway, the Atmos mix will please lovers of discrete/moving sounds. The swirling guitar on the Tops reminds me the Atmos test file of the Helicopter :ROFLMAO:
Can you use MediaInfo and see what the bitrate is? Is it 768 kb/s?

I like to think I did my homework in choosing a downloadable Atmos format for the site to use. The lossy MP4s seem to be the easiest to play, both my Sony X800 and Playstation 3 will bitstream them to my AVR from a USB drive as well as my Western Digital NAS. The lossless MKVs won't play through the X800 or PS3, but they will bitstream over HDMI from both my MacBook Pro (VLC Media Player) and Asus Vivobook PC (from VLC and the native Windows "Movies & TV" video player). Plus, @ar surround mentions upthread that they bitstream properly through his Oppo 205. MKAs will play through VLC media player, but are unrecognized by Windows Movies & TV. Same goes for M2TS (I'm not even sure how you'd author one of those, I'm guessing it requires a Blu-Ray authoring suite?). I've been told by other members that M4As will bitstream properly through Kodi, but I haven't personally tested that.

None of these formats seem to have as wide acceptance and ease-of-use as 5.1 FLACs, but the MKVs seemed the best choice based on my testing above. From a Windows PC in particular playback is really simple, you just double-click the file and it plays in Windows Movies & TV. Plus, I just had a client actually deliver their most recent album in professionally-authored MKV (usually they just send me an ADM and I have to do all the necessary conversions/authoring) - so maybe the format is catching on in the professional sphere.
PLEASE, whatever you do, please keep the 5.1 FLAC and the MKV ATMOS as you have right now. They both play perfect and I really do not want to change my set up.

Can confirm all you need is some type of muxing solution to produce M2TS files, Blu-ray authoring suites are not required. You still need to be able to encode Atmos, however. In fact you can actually get away with making a working Blu-ray with just eac3to/tsMuxeR and Notepad (albiet without a menu unless you're sadistic).
Pointless bringing it up as there's very competent Blu-ray authoring freeware out there.

M2TS is a just container format that can contain the TrueHD (lossless ATMOS) bitsream (in fact I believe that this is how they are stored on a Blu-Ray).

Therefore, you can use the ffmpeg command line tool (or probably a GUI tool that uses ffmpeg under the covers), to convert the MKV ATMOS files to the format that you need. You can do this easily with ffmpeg and not change the TrueHD ATMOS bitstream at all:

ffpmeg -i <input ATMOS file.mkv> -vn -acodec copy <output ATMOS file.mt2s>

or

ffpmeg -i <input ATMOS file.mkv> -acodec copy <output ATMOS file.m2ts>

The -vn is to remove the video part of the file (which is the static image of the album cover, you can ommit this if you want to keep the image in the file).

All this does is change the container format (mkv to m2ts) leaving the actual audio untouched. It doesn't take long as you're just creating a new container (wrapper).

ffmpeg will leave the original file as is, you'll end up with two sets. I usually create multiple folders for different versions of the same album, and use a tagging editor to "improve" the metadata as well (and add artwork to the music files plus sleeve notes etc. to the folder as well).

HTH!

It’s been quite the long haul behind-the-scenes trying to get this off the ground, and I’m thrilled to finally share it with you all!

https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/product/lean-into-it-mr-big-5-1-flac-atmos-mkv-mp4/
I know a lot of folks have already invested in the 5.1 SACD of this title, but I can offer a few potentially compelling reasons to double-dip for the download:
  • The Dolby Atmos mix (previously exclusive to the streaming services) is now available in a lossless, ownable format.
  • The 5.1 mix is sourced from the original 96/24 PCM master, rather than an SACD DSD rip.
  • Two bonus songs, “Stop Messing Around” and “Wild Wild Women”, are presented in 5.1 & Dolby Atmos. I am not sure why these were left off the SACD, but they sound great in surround.
…and just in case you missed it, my September 2021 interview with Atmos mixer Chris Bell:
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/qa-with-chris-bell-grammy-nominated-recording-mixing-engineer/

I just came across this thread (the wonders of the QQ daily digest email... ;) )

I hadn't heard of Immersive Audio so many thanks Jonathan for that! I LOVE this album, and whilst I bought the SACD, never got round to ripping it (I don't DO spinny discs, mostly), so to be able to buy the muilti-channel hi-res as files is a godsend!!!!! I've been moaning for years about how annoying it is to have to buy the SACD/Blu-Ray of albums just to get at the multi-channel/hi-res mixes which I always rip to files for listening. FINALLY, someone is offering this for sale - I hope to be buying more HR/Multi from Immersive in the future. Many Thanks!! :)

Jonathan, I also missed the interview so many thanks for that, that was a good read too :)

In case it's of any use to anyone, my setup, which I highly recommend instead of a "disc spinner", these days is:

Nvidia Shield Pro (output passthrough/bitstream) running KODI (which has the ability to run a USB hard drive, but I'm using NFS mounts to my file server where my music collection lives) -> HDMI -> AV Pre-Amp/Processor/Receiver (which does the bitstream decoding) -> power amp -> speakers

I have KODI set to output 7.1, all formats to passthrough, AV Pre-Amp/Proc set to decode to 5.1 (I have 4 floorstanders and a centre channel). This arrangement lends itself to purchasing files and putting them on my server, and the kit is all decent and sounds pretty amazing (even compare to my mate's super expensive systems).

This album sounds pretty damn good, even though I "only" have a 5.1 system. There are some odd sounding parts to the mix and my suspicions were confirmed when I read in the interview that it was mixed in ATMOS with a 5.1 "fold-down" (I think traditionally, it's mixed in 5.1/7.1 then the ATMOS metadata stuff is added to the ATMOS version of the mix). I will have to take it round a mate's house to listen to it "properly" in 7.1.4, but am very happy with this purchase (I bought the whole lot).

Thanks again, Jonathan :)

Matt
(ex-wannabe sound engineer that tried (not very hard) but never made it in that industry.. ;) :( )

I looked at those Audio Properties TXT files with interest!. Thanks for posting them.

I checked my FLAC 5.1 files (The only format of the 3 that I use), and I compared the bitrate of my file to your file.

My file is exactly the FLAC format file I downloaded.

I am possibly missing something but why would your bit rate show 7,740 kb/s compared to mine at 13,824 kb/s ?

As I commented I may be "out to lunch" on this comparison.

I am reproducing your file info (FLAC) of track 3, and mine below (FLAC) of track 3.

Thanks

Howard

This is your file

Audio
Format : FLAC
Format/Info : Free Lossless Audio Codec
Duration : 3 min 54 s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 7 740 kb/s
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Lb Rb
Sampling rate : 96.0 kHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossless

And this my file
1673473714779.png

I looked at those Audio Properties TXT files with interest!. Thanks for posting them.

I checked my FLAC 5.1 files (The only format of the 3 that I use), and I compared the bitrate of my file to your file.

My file is exactly the FLAC format file I downloaded.

I am possibly missing something but why would your bit rate show 7,740 kb/s compared to mine at 13,824 kb/s ?

As I commented I may be "out to lunch" on this comparison.

I am reproducing your file info (FLAC) of track 3, and mine below (FLAC) of track 3.

Thanks

Howard

This is your file

Audio
Format : FLAC
Format/Info : Free Lossless Audio Codec
Duration : 3 min 54 s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 7 740 kb/s
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Lb Rb
Sampling rate : 96.0 kHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossless

And this my file
View attachment 87298
Windows properties are inaccurate, use MediaInfo.

Back