Mr. Big “Lean Into It” - Dolby Atmos mix now available as a lossless download!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shouldn't do, as the FLAC files contain PCM, which is usually around the 7k mark. KODI shows these as that when playing, also. Only the file size changes depending on FLAC compression level, not the codec bitrate "inside" the FLAC container.

Mediainfo (command line version on Linux) shows them all as Varible Bit Rate ranging from 6.9 to 7.9k depending on which track.

HTH! :)

I looked at those Audio Properties TXT files with interest!. Thanks for posting them.

I checked my FLAC 5.1 files (The only format of the 3 that I use), and I compared the bitrate of my file to your file.

My file is exactly the FLAC format file I downloaded.

I am possibly missing something but why would your bit rate show 7,740 kb/s compared to mine at 13,824 kb/s ?

As I commented I may be "out to lunch" on this comparison.

I am reproducing your file info (FLAC) of track 3, and mine below (FLAC) of track 3.

Thanks

Howard

This is your file

Audio
Format : FLAC
Format/Info : Free Lossless Audio Codec
Duration : 3 min 54 s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 7 740 kb/s
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Lb Rb
Sampling rate : 96.0 kHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossless

And this my file
View attachment 87298

How to interpret the different numbers?

After download, I did change the cover image of the original FLACs (using Mp3tag) by a captured image copy to reduce the size. Because my Player DUNE does not show the cover images when they are too big (over 1MB or so).

So the final FLAC file size is smaller in my copy. I do not know if this is relevant.

My Windows Properties show the 'Audio bitrate': 7431 kbps, very close to the shown by MediaInfo:
1673479974699.png

But your Windows Properties, show an additional "Audio Properties" tab (not shown in my Windows). There it says: "Bit Rate 13,824 kbps (DVD)" and the 'footnote' dBpoweramp. It looks as if that bit rate (why it appends DVD?) whould be a global video/audio bitrate. Bigger than the 'only audio bitrate' because it would be calculated in a different manner or because you have a bigger cover picture tag in the file, that 'adds' bitrate with the video still picture?

We should trust MediaInfo, I think.

How to interpret the different numbers?

I did change the cover image on the original downloaded FLAC (using Mp3tag) by a captured image copy to reduce the size. Because my Player DUNE does not show the cover images when they are too big (over 1MB or so).

So the final FLAC file size is smaller in my copy.

My Windows Properties show the 'Audio bitrate': 7431 kbps, very close to the shown by MediaInfo: View attachment 87302

But your Windows Properties, show an additional "Audio Properties" tab (not shown in my Windows). There it says: "Bit Rate 13,824 kbps (DVD)" and the 'footnote' dBpoweramp. It looks as if that bit rate (why it appends DVD?) whould be a global video/audio bitrate. Bigger than the 'only audio bitrate' because it would be calculated in a different manner or because you have a bigger cover picture tag in the file, that 'adds' bitrate with the video still picture?

We should trust MediaInfo, I think.
That higher bit-rate is the bitrate of the file if it was completely decompressed to WAV.
No idea why dBpoweramp is reporting that.

If you play it with VLC, you can also see the compressed and uncompressed bit rates in real time... :)

I wonder why the MP4 file is lossy, but the MKV file is lossless.
TrueHD is not a supported audio option in the MP4 spec. The lossy MP4s are included with IAA downloads as a backup, sort of like how the old DVD-A/V discs had both MLP and Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1 options. It may seem extraneous, but some users appreciate it.

TrueHD is not a supported audio option in the MP4 spec. The lossy MP4s are included with IAA downloads as a backup, sort of like how the old DVD-A/V discs had both MLP and Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1 options. It may seem extraneous, but some users appreciate it.
Interesting. So is an M4A file in the MP4 spec? If so, I wonder how MMH converted my MKVs of Frank Zappa to M4A lossless:
1678233806468.png

Interesting. So is an M4A file in the MP4 spec? If so, I wonder how MMH converted my MKVs of Frank Zappa to M4A lossless:
I thought M4A was an entirely different file type, but yes it's possible to embed TrueHD/Atmos audio into those. We ended up using MKV instead because they seem to be more widely supported - for instance I don't think you can play M4As directly off the Windows native "Movies & TV" app or a Blu-Ray player, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

For an MP4 export in Handbrake, these are the available audio options:
64433-Lifelike-Encode.jpg

I thought M4A was an entirely different file type, but yes it's possible to embed TrueHD/Atmos audio into those. We ended up using MKV instead because they seem to be more widely supported - for instance I don't think you can play M4As directly off the Windows native "Movies & TV" app or a Blu-Ray player, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

For an MP4 export in Handbrake, these are the available audio options:
View attachment 89435
I can play both MKVs and M4As (and a lot of other file types) with Kodi on a media player, so I could theoretically download the MKV files and convert them to M4A files as I did with the rip of my FZ boxset. Nice.

Maybe you are looking at an old spec? TrueHD has been in mp4 files for at least 2 years now. Probably longer.
If you export direct from the Dolby Renderer or use the Dolby Media Encoder, DD+/JOC is the only audio option for MP4.

For instance, my Oppo does not play a M4A file (music menu). Just renaming the file to MP4, the Oppo will play it (under video menu) correctly with the Atmos/DD+
The MP4 file, with just an audio track, without any video track, is played ok with the Oppo. (It also plays the MKV with Atmos/TrueHD)

Just bought/downloaded this. Help a newb and ELI5 why I might need MKV multichannel lossless when I can play the FLAC multichannel lossless? Thanks!
Atmos isn't supported in a flac container. That may or may not apply to you.

Ah, great info and makes perfect sense...thank you! I need to create a sig. I have a 5.1.4 Atmos setup. So I will be adding the MKV's to my Plex server.
Which device do you use for playback? The options for Atmos support are pretty limited.

Back